SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

How about this story...

...would be interesting if those calls were made by someone that is anti-nickname, someone perhaps that used to be on this message board, someone that went by "graham kracker"... I'm not sayin' it is... I'm just sayin'... :D

That was the first thought that went through my mind. These type of events always seem to happen at the most convenient times. We will likely never know.

So Sioux Me.
The NCAA's battle with UND has been raging for more than four years. Criticizing the Fighting Sioux nickname as racist, offensive and derogatory have been groups such as the school's faculty Senate and the state Board of Higher Education. They are seemingly undeterred by one significant group that wants the university to retain the nickname and logo. That is the Spirit Lake Sioux tribe, the nearby tribe from whom the school nickname is derived. The most absurd aspect of this politically correct ruckus is that non-native Americans are lecturing Native Americans on what should offend them. A hearing on the matter is scheduled in a county courtroom in early December.

Found this article interesting:

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/11/24/the-fighting-irish

Most of the other nicknames that are mentioned are Division 1 teams. When the NCAA came out with that list i am sure they intentionally didn't look at all the teams nicknames in the NCAA or else the Irish would be there. It just comes down to is $$$$$.

• 2 weeks later...
An interesting story on the litigation initiated by SL to keep the name/logo.

NY Times

Another liberal faculty member, Linda Neuerburg, trying to pull on the heart strings of the general public..."We're taliking tears and heartbreak for our students." :glare:

I'm also sure her license plate cover reads..."Save our manatees" :)

Another liberal faculty member, Linda Neuerburg, trying to pull on the heart strings of the general public..."We're taliking tears and heartbreak for our students." :glare:

I'm also sure her license plate cover reads..."Save our manatees" :)

Curious that no one outside of the curious clique of usual whiners notices all the allged tumult on campus. The "tears and heartbreak" must be reserved only to that crowd for, up to date, not getting their way.

Question: if the judge "decided" that he simply wasn't going to rule on this until Nov 2010...what is there legally to stop him?

Could he be impeached or fired somehow?

I am sure he will have a ruling by Dec. 25th. Either the SL has merrit or they don't its almost that simple. Do they own the nickname in a way its hard to say since the NCAA is depending on them to have their blessing so in a way the nickname is 50% SL and 50% SR. I say i am glad i am not the judge in this case.

Question: if the judge "decided" that he simply wasn't going to rule on this until Nov 2010...what is there legally to stop him?

Could he be impeached or fired somehow?

Not sure on the North Dakota rules, but in Minnesota, district court judges have no more than 90 days to issue an order on a motion they take under advisement. Many times, the exigencies of the circumstances make it so that a ruling needs to come sooner than that. In my experience Judges have always been accommodating in issuing rulings on an expedited basis when necessary. In a case like this, taking a couple weeks to issue an order is perfectly normal.

Another liberal faculty member, Linda Neuerburg, trying to pull on the heart strings of the general public..."We're taliking tears and heartbreak for our students." ???

I'm also sure her license plate cover reads..."Save our manatees" :huh:

I thought it was amusing, and about par for the PC course, that a Navajo told the Sioux they were being "used". ???

Not sure on the North Dakota rules, but in Minnesota, district court judges have no more than 90 days to issue an order on a motion they take under advisement. Many times, the exigencies of the circumstances make it so that a ruling needs to come sooner than that. In my experience Judges have always been accommodating in issuing rulings on an expedited basis when necessary. In a case like this, taking a couple weeks to issue an order is perfectly normal.

Ok that's fine...as long as there is some reasonable limit on how much time a judge may take to rule.

Surely a judgment for anything other than the state would be preposterous and biased and dare I say criminally corrupted? There is no possible way that a non-government entity can strip away the SBoHE's authority to govern the state's institutions of higher education.

I thought it was amusing, and about par for the PC course, that a Navajo told the Sioux they were being "used". ???

Found that very ironic as well, and just heard Tiger was going to speak on family values and relationships at the next national NAACP convention...

There is no possible way that a non-government entity can strip away the SBoHE's authority to govern the state's institutions of higher education.

To what do you refer when you say "a non-government entity"?

Surely you do not mean the state constitution defined courts of the State of North Dakota.

You must mean the NCAA which, by it's monikers policy, effectively stripped power from the ND SBoHE.

Surely a judgment for anything other than the state would be preposterous and biased and dare I say criminally corrupted? There is no possible way that a non-government entity can strip away the SBoHE's authority to govern the state's institutions of higher education.

*cough* Separation of Powers *cough* *cough* coequal branches of government *cough*

"non-governmental entity"? Are you high? ???

I hate to break your rose colored glasses, but courts routinely put the brakes on other governmental agencies who exceed their authority, or otherwise break the law.

Surely you do not mean the state constitution defined courts of the State of North Dakota.

You must mean the NCAA which, by it's monikers policy, effectively stripped power from the ND SBoHE.

That's irrelevant!

The NCAA was acting in the best interests of the downtrodden and unheard masses of a minority subgroup that have been so wrongly treated by an image on a television screen, article of clothing, merchandise, office materials such as pens and paper, and facades of buildings.

You are a racist buffoon if you think that there is anything but the golden desires of a wounded heart behind the ending of the nickname!

Remember, Neuerberg stated that our students hearts and dreams rest upon the retirement of the nickname!

(Have you vomited yet?)

I wonder when Penn & Teller's Bullsh*t will visit North Dakota over this?

The tone of most of the articles of outside North Dakota sound shocked that Native Americans are fighting to keep the logo. Many of the "offended" groups are people from outside North Dakota with no ties and no sense of history, and I would say that applies equally to the many non-Native American cry babies. I hope the Judge does find standing of the Spirit Lake plaintiffs and orders the SBHE to keep the original negotiated deadline. It may get overturned on appeal, but finally, some legitimate voices will be heard. I just hope the SBHE and the UND powers that be are listening rather than assuming to know what the tribes think or feel.

Of course I didn't mean the courts. The courts are just a tool, used sometimes by the unworthy to obstruct progress.

The non-government entity I was referring to was the SL tribe. They have no place or business telling the SBoHE what it can and can not instruct UND to do.

You may wish to argue that the SBoHE has no right to tell UND to do certain things...but that's not what we're discussing here.

The non-government entity I was referring to was the SL tribe. They have no place or business telling the SBoHE what it can and can not instruct UND to do.

Again, the first to wrest power from the ND SBoHE was the non-governmental NCAA.

The Spirit Lake Tribe is merely attempting to follow that precedent.

You mean the same SL tribe that the Board was supposed to be negotiating with as part of the NC$$ surrender?

The fact is North Dakotans don't like being told what to do and don't give up without a fight. I hope that if we lose the battle over the Sioux name we go down swinging. I still can't believe that the NCAA can impose its ridiculous will on an entire state that doesn't want it.

Again, the first to wrest power from the ND SBoHE was the non-governmental NCAA.

The Spirit Lake Tribe is merely attempting to follow that precedent.

The NCAA has never told the ND SBoHE that it can not govern UND in the way it sees fit.

The fact is that UND voluntarily chooses to be a member of the NCAA's private club. They either choose to follow the rules of the private club or they don't. Nothing to do with the SBoHE.

No precedent.

It's the ND SBoHE's party, but the Legislature is funding it. Too many forget that.

So....the legislature is going to take away funding from the SBoHE..funding that is used to fund higher education in the state of North Daktoa...over a athletics nickname/mascot? ???

If we were talking about the Mayville State Sioux, this would have never been an issue. ???