SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Now does everyone now understand why Ron McNeil (aka Ron His Horse is Thunder) was so upset when he was given the power (the power he claimed he always wanted) to make this decision? He knew that there would be a day of reckoning, not with the "white man", but on Standing Rock, with his people, that would come with it.

Sounds like Ron His Horse Is Thunder would look like a total idiot if a vote of the rest of the tribe goes through and the result is everyone for the name and him as the lone person against it. I think it should be a vote of the tribe (THE WHOLE TRIBE!!!)!

Mr. Branch's opinion seems to be that if you use an adjective and a tribal name you owe someone some money for using the name.

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/185634

Well, if that's the criteria, what do North Dakota and South Dakota owe the Dakota?

They don't use an adjective, but Iowa would seem to owe the Kiowa as would Illinois owe the decendents of the Illini Confederation. Utah would owe the Utes possibly also.

See how far we can take this line of thinking. Great, isn't it. :lol:

Today in the herald there was a viewpoint from a teacher at SCSU about how the Sioux name was so terrible and I want to ask her this simple question. "What are you doing about the continued problems on your campus?" i.e. death threats from students to teachers calling teachers Nazi's and posting Nazi imagery in their department mail boxes.

I get so sick and tired of people who think they are constituents of the university, when they really aren't...More than likely this person does not have a degree from UND, does not live in North Dakota, does not have a kid attending UND, currently attend UND, and does not give money to UND....frankly if you don't meet the above qualifications you have no say and you should worry about your own problems and not somebody else's... :glare:

More than likely this person does not have a degree from UND
At least on this point he carefully uses the word "attended" and not "graduated". He does realize that it would be very easy to go to either the Alumni Association or some office of public records and prove that he didn't graduate if he falsely claims that he did.

Mr. Branch, like most other anti-nickname people, tend to say this happend and that happened because they where there. :glare: So why not on occasion give specifics...time, date and place. The sad thing is is the fact that too many people who read the newspaper take any thing printed as "truth". Was at UND for 4 years and traveled quite often to other schools for FB, BB and hockey games and I never ran across any of the scenerios he described in his letter. You can see how he is staff at SCSU.

Hoeven says UND nickname decision shouldn't be rushed...

Hoeven says having a "thoughtful, inclusive" process is more important than setting a timeline.

Hoeven says he would be willing to be a part of negotiations with tribal leaders, though he thinks UND should take the lead.

Hoeven says members of North Dakota's congressional delegation have also told him they're willing to be part of negotiations.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/i...mp;section=News

Gov. John Hoeven said Tuesday that he is willing to participate in nickname negotiations with the tribes, but he wants UND to take the lead, according to a report from the Associated Press.

Sioux leaders have said in the past that negotiating with a university or other lower-level state entity is beneath their station as a sovereign nation.

Paulsen said he appreciates the governor's suggestion, but believes that if the delegation is not led by state government leaders, then it should be the state board, rather than UND, that takes the lead.

Wow, how arrogant can you be? It's beneath you?

Paulsen is a twit.

I am not sure twit is a strong enough word. Then do away with their souveirgn nation status. I am so tired of the assinine tribal leaders. They want to be independent then be independent, No more Voting for OUR leaders, NO more handouts from OUR country. Just be done with the reservation systems. Either they assimilate or they shut up. Sorry if my spelling is off, but I am really tired of this attitude of the tribes.

I am not sure twit is a strong enough word. Then do away with their souveirgn nation status. I am so tired of the assinine tribal leaders. They want to be independent then be independent, No more Voting for OUR leaders, NO more handouts from OUR country. Just be done with the reservation systems. Either they assimilate or they shut up. Sorry if my spelling is off, but I am really tired of this attitude of the tribes.

Agree entirely. "Independent" means indenpendent, right? From what my mother-in-law, a French Canadian, tells me, the Quebec French Canadians want for themselves how the indians have it here. It's truly nonsensical.

Did anyone see the article in today's Wall Street Journal? It was about a man (a Native American) who is trying to be a judge in the tribal court on an Arizona reservation (the same tribe that now has a walkway partially over the Grand Canyon).

I hope the nitwit who wrote the letter to the editor, imagining the horror that some Indian SUPPOSEDLY endured upon seeing his own grandmother's picture somehow photoshopped into a skinned cutout and displayed at an opponent's homecoming parade reads it.

No comment on grandmothers, but three cases were highlighted:

A) Man chokes his own mother

B) Man knifes his own mother

C) Man "attacks" his own mother in a dispute over a television.

All of these incidents apparently took place hundreds of miles away from either the University of North Dakota or any of their homecoming opponents. But I'm sure he would find a way to blame this on a nickname and a copy of the Blackhawk's logo... :lol:

A little off that subject, but related to this article and something to think about: this man graduated from Stanford undergrad, and subsequently attended Harvard Law as well as the Kennedy Government School at Harvard. His studies were interrupted by a request from his Tribal elders to return home and help out, so ultimately he recieved his law degree from Arizona State. But the point remains: I'd say this person could easily have done something far more lucrative than become a tribal judge for an (impoverished) Indian reservation. But he went back. The people who are asking for more programs at North Dakota for Native Americans coming from reservations need to find a way to make sure the graduates (and their education) return to the reservation, to benefit the tribe.

Sioux leaders have said in the past that negotiating with a university or other lower-level state entity is beneath their station as a sovereign nation.
One of the complaints over the years from the name change crowd, is UND was using the name without consent of the tribes and that UND should be talking to the tribes to get their consent. Now we read that those type conversations are beneath the Sioux leaders. :huh:

Amazing. :lol:

As noted several times before, the NCAA has done nothing but empower self-important clowns. :huh:

However, since the Aztecs of San Diego State get a pass because they're not within the boundaries of the lower 48 states, maybe this should be taken up as an identical case? :lol:

One of the complaints over the years from the name change crowd, is UND was using the name without consent of the tribes and that UND should be talking to the tribes to get their consent. Now we read that those type conversations are beneath the Sioux leaders.

That's so telling it deserved repeating.