SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

As an alum of the UND School of Law, I am still deeply offended by the continued exploitation of my people,

"As an alum of the UND School of Law", I am deeply offended by the writer's poor grammar, illogical arguments and, as noted previously, underdeveloped research skills. Moreover, it doesn't appear EagleWoman is a member of the Minnesota Bar, so I hope her job at WalMart is working out. :glare::D

I posted this in the Protest thread, but it may be relevant here as well.

This piece by Katherine Kersten in the Star Trib is not related to the nickname controversy, but may have some relevant points.

Robert Lichter of the Center for Media and Public Affairs has studied protest movements. He points out that political protest has changed since the '20s and '30s, when those involved were usually poor. (Think Hoovervilles and hungry, jobless people.) Their protest was "instrumental" --aimed at getting the government assistance they needed to stay afloat.

The '60s and '70s brought a sea change. For the middle- and upper-class young people who flooded into the streets, protest became a vehicle for self-assertion -- the "politics of personal expression." (Think Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin.) Middle-class kids wore their arrest record as a badge of honor.

In his psychological studies of '60s-style radicals, Lichter discovered two revealing things: They scored high on the power scale, exhibiting a strong need to feel powerful. They also scored high on narcissism -- the need to call attention to themselves, to get public notice. Not surprisingly, Lichter says, protesters often latched onto high-sounding motives to justify their self-absorbed actions. "You can't take expressions of love for humanity at face value," he explains. "They can serve as cover for aggressive feelings and tendencies." A phenomenon like Critical Mass "allows people to act aggressively, while convincing themselves and some others that it's all for a moral purpose."

Maybe the author should have said...'Article 31 of the declaration states that indigenous peoples have the right to control and protect their cultural traditions and expressions, including their sports'.

Will the Indians demand a royalty payment from the NCAA for letting them run a Lacrosse tournament? After all, its pretty much a known fact that this game originated here among the Native Americans.

Or maybe ALL of the teams will have to dress as the Native players did in the 1700's.

Did the Indian women participate in these games?? Uh oh, potential clash of the political correctness geeks: Title IX screamers vs. those resolved to "respect indigenous cultures" .

:huh:

I still wonder why the University continues to pay professors and other employees that object to where they work. Give them their walking papers and let them go to another school. I think that the employees of the school should show some support for where they work. Not bitch constantly and think that it is OK to spread theri politcal views on their students. It is wrong and I think they should all be fired.

I was thinking the same thing too, if UND is so bad go work somewhere else. I am sick and tired of the vocal minority thinking they are going to control everything that goes on in the world. They can find work at places that are much less hostile and abusive than UND :silly:

From today's Grand Forks Herald:

VIEWPOINT : Collaborate to find a nickname solution

The Oct. 3 demonstration at the Alerus Center against Indian sports logos really was about the exercise of white privilege.

White privilege refers to the unearned benefits and opportunities that white individuals can access as a result of their race and that remain inaccessible to racial minorities. Examples include easier access to advanced schooling, health care and the ability to set social norms.

The costs of racism to whites can include irrational fear of people of other races, limited exposure to people of different races and cultures, guilt and shame. These costs are in no way comparable to the substantial political, economic and social costs that visible minorities face. Racism affects everyone in a negative way.

I thank God for any professor at UND who has the courage to support the anti-logo stand.

Well, that includes pretty much all of them, Goober. Lots of "courage" in numbers.

That takes guts, a strong belief in what is wrong with America and vision.

Wow. So, the Sioux name/logo has morphed from being "hostile or abusive" to causing federal deficits, haphazard healthcare and regressive taxation. If you find a link to acne or head lice, you might actually have a win. :lol:

This guy is in a doctoral program? Good lord, he's as pathetic as "Dr." Stephanie.

Yes, leaping to conclusions like that is quite rational and logical. Nothing like extrapolating from a sample size of
ONE PERSON
to sweeping conclusions about an entire population. I really, really hope this happens to the good "doctoral candidate" at some point in his life. I'm sure he'll accept that judgement about himself (and others like him) in the same way he wants us to accept this judgement about two universities.

It certainly explains why UND has three times more American Indian students than NDSU (368 to 119).

Leadership at America's Universities Has Become a Disgrace

America's colleges and universities have become, and have been for some decades, the most closed-minded and intellectually dishonest institutions in our society.

Colleges and universities today almost universally have speech codes, which prohibit speech deemed hurtful by others, particularly those who are deemed to be minorities (including women, who are a majority on most campuses these days).

In the article, it referenced this website, Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE), which gives speech code ratings for all major US universities.

UND and USD were the only regional schools receiving "yellow" ratings, while NDSU, SDSU, St Cloud, UMinn, Wisco, and Iowa all received "red" speech code alerts.

A nationally syndicated newspaper columnist who's work is often carried in the editorial sections of papers is an alum of the University of Illinois. Rumor has it that a column to be published in the near future will contain these quotes:

Finally, the university capitulated to unbearable pressure from the NCAA and Illinois Democratic politicians.

Earlier that week I saw many students--women mostly--wearing shirts with one word on the front: CHIEF. It was a triumph of the human spirit over the dead hand of political correctness.

The University of Illinois resisted the NCAA for years, enduring actual sanctions. But the threat to the school's purse strings by hostile Democratic state legislators brought university administrators to their knees. The NCAA has relented in its earlier demand that the nickname Illini also be discarded, but liberal activists protest that as well as the "Illiniwek without the Chief" halftime exercise.

As I watched the Marching Illini's hollow presentation, I fantasized that this shell of a ritual would be retained and some day in some way, the tyrants of political correctness would lose their power. Or will memory fail first, and even what little is left of the ritual disappear?

What he doesn't mention is the the names of the two Democrats who pandered to their racial minority base and killed off Chief: the President of our State Senate, Emil Jones Jr.; and our (incredibly unpopular and genuinely stupid) Governor, Rod Blagovich.

At one time Blagovich fancied himself as Presidential material. Now its almost a foregone conclusion that he won't even be re-elected to his present office. It couldn't happen to a bigger clown. :lol:

He don't matter to me any. Espcially trying to help a man who killed 2 FBI agents, they should have thrown him (Bellecourt) in jail and throw away the key. :glare: Plus talking to Hugo Chavez who hates America and called Bush the devil, good place for him to die, Venezuela. I say bury him down there. :angry:

• 4 weeks later...

Someone needs to translate this story from The Badger Herald. It makes no sense to me.

UW will play teams previously banned from NCAA top honors

The University of Wisconsin is now allowed to play against teams previously banned from the NCAA championship for using American Indian mascots, names and imagery, following a Faculty Senate amendment Monday.

Sweeney said as long as the NCAA approved a team that uses American Indian mascots, names or imagery, it is OK for the Badgers to play against them.

Three teams are still banned from playing in NCAA championships, including the Alcorn State University
Edited by PCM

Someone needs to translate this story from The Badger Herald. It makes no sense to me.

UW will play teams previously banned from NCAA top honors

Neither UND nor any other university was ever banned from playing in NCAA championships. They were banned from hosting them and banned from displaying American Indian nicknames, mascots and imagery when playing in them. And as of right now, UND has an exemption from the NCAA for at least the next three years. So why would UND still be on Wisconsin's list?

I guess if the Badgers are banned from playing the Fighting Sioux, Wisconsin will just have to forfiet its two games against UND this weekend. :D

I agree they should just forfeit to us. If they really want to show people how serious they are about this, then forfeit. I really hate this crap.