SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Yet, again, I've yet to determine a single connection between the high school graduation rates, the "plight" of the Native American, and the connection therein to collegiate nicknames for the negative OR positive. The argument of "Native American imagery establish a hostile and racist atmosphere that prohibits or endangers Native Americans and prevents them from achieving success" is rather weak.

It is not a weak connection. It's a non-existent one. All the educational opportunities are there and the nickname does not at all impair success in accessing those opportunities.

From the New York Times:

Bonding Over a Mascot

Not every university enjoys a harmonious relationship with Indians. But a sense of cooperation seems to permeate the Florida State campus in Tallahassee, Fla., where Toni Sanchez was among 21 students to complete a new course this month called History of the Seminoles and Southeastern Tribes.

Sanchez, a senior majoring in English, called the N.C.A.A. edict

Hum, I am surprise we don't have some goofy college professor telling us how wrong she is.

The NCAA continues to tell every American Indian who disagrees with its action that -- after 30 years of debate -- they are incapable of knowing their own minds and understanding the issue.

Dang! I thought it would be a story about Sioux-cia. :sad:;)

The GF Herald had a story about this woman buried in the sports section today. One person shows up to protest the Sioux nickname and it's news. :silly:

Thank God that the Herald is here to enlighten all of us. I saw the title of the article and didn't even bother to read it. Actually, I do that with most of the Herald's articles.

Dang! I thought it would be a story about Sioux-cia. :sad:;)

The GF Herald had a story about this same woman buried in the sports section today. One person shows up to protest the Sioux nickname and it's news. :silly:

:sad: Me too for a sec!! ;)

But then I clicked on the link and lo and behold!!!!!! A white woman!!!! Hmmm...............

Great find Diggler! Unfortunately that reminds me of a few of UND's professors I had.

Sounds like the Org Theory Prof that I had in my second senior year in 01. I can't remember her name but she despised small town white boys because we were ignorant and of course opposed the nickname. I often wondered to myself why she would CHOOSE to work at UND. 90% of her students were from small towns across North Dakota, Minnesota, and Canada and 99% of us love the nickname. I guess if I hated the people I worked with I would find someplace else to work. I think Dartmouth would have been a good fit for her.

Sounds like the Org Theory Prof that I had in my second senior year in 01. I can't remember her name but she despised small town white boys because we were ignorant and of course opposed the nickname. I often wondered to myself why she would CHOOSE to work at UND. 90% of her students were from small towns across North Dakota, Minnesota, and Canada and 99% of us love the nickname. I guess if I hated the people I worked with I would find someplace else to work. I think Dartmouth would have been a good fit for her.

Was it Jan Zahrly or Dr. Tarlin, cause i just had both of them last semester when i graduated

I was at Dartmouth and never saw that woman protesting in or outside of the arena. The reporters really had to search hard and long to even find a story about the name. TV reporters searched out Sioux and Dartmouth fans to ask them about the name controversy. We politely declined being interviewed (we were worried they would take something we said out of context), but were able to catch the local news after the game. They showed the lady with the sign but said she was the lone protester, and then said that the night was really just about hockey. They interviewed about 4 Sioux fans, and a couple Dartmouth fans who all said positive things about the name. The Dartmouth fans said they had no problem with it. I think the reporters were disappointed.

As for our own experience, the name was really just a footnote at the tournament. Never heard a negative comment. We did overhear one man whisper to the woman next to him that there were Sioux fans in front of them wearing their jerseys (referring to us). The woman next to him said, "Good for them!" (The man went to Dartmouth twenty-some years ago.). The next night, an older gentleman (B.U. fan) walked up to me and said, "Fighting Sioux -- are you okay with that name?" I said, "Yes, I am." He said, "So is everyone else." There were plenty of friendly smiles and really just talk about hockey itself. When I mentioned to the Dartmouth fans next to me Friday night that the Sioux were really struggling this year, they said, "Well, you mean struggling by North Dakota standards." Just as I said, "Yes, struggling by North Dakota standards, " the Sioux scored and they said, "Enough from you..." I must say, though, that winning the tournament there was very, very sweet! The Sioux made their own statement there!!

There was an article in this morning's papers up there that had a reference that bothered me. It was about "the best and worst of the tournament." The "best surprise" was that the the Sioux fans didn't do a tomahawk chop.... But once again, it's reporters not knowing the facts, trying to be clever, but just ending up saying stupid things.

Anti-mascot movement made headway in 2006

The NCAA did not ban ''Indian'' trademarks, but stipulated that any NCAA member violating the policy will be sanctioned by not being allowed to host any post-season championship events. The policy also encourages members to refrain from scheduling regular-season games with schools identified on the list.
Since I didn't recall the policy encouraging other member institutions to refreain from scheduling regular-season games, I had to go back to the original edict.

NCAA Executive Committee Issues Guidelines for Use of Native American Mascots at Championship Events

Even the title of their own press release is misleading, using the word "Guidelines" instead of "Mandate". Anyone who is on the fence about this issue, needs to reread this press release. It makes my blood boil and makes me want to fight to the end.

"Colleges and universities may adopt any mascot that they wish, as that is an institutional matter," said Walter Harrison, chair of the Executive Committee and president at the University of Hartford. "But as a national association, we believe that mascots, nicknames or images deemed hostile or abusive in terms of race, ethnicity or national origin should not be visible at the championship events that we control."

Race, ethnicity or national origin. I know this has been discussed many times, but where is the NCAA going next with all of this?

Congressman Johnson is dead on when he says...

"You do a good job of running basketball tournaments ... but you don't do a good job of social engineering," Johnson told Bernard Franklin, senior vice president for governance, membership, education and research services at the NCAA.