SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Mother Jones lists their source as a 2001 article written in Salon. Obviously there is no mention of an NCAA ban in the Salon article.

Puck Politics

I know it would be a sad world to have everyone always agree with my point of view on all issues, but articles like this make me wonder if these people are even on the same planet that I live on.

I know it would be a sad world to have everyone always agree with my point of view on all issues, but articles like this make me wonder if these people are even on the same planet that I live on.

You've obviously never spent any time reading their other issues, have you? :silly:???

From the St. Cloud State University Chronicle:

Controversy surrounds UND

The University of North Dakota nickname continues to draw both support and criticism

A clouded debate between racism and tradition will come to the forefront Saturday as a football game is played in the background.

UND (7-1, 5-1 NCC) travels to Husky Stadium to take on SCSU (3-6, 1-5 NCC) Saturday at 1 p.m. The trip marks the first appearance of the UND football team in St. Cloud since UND was sanctioned by the NCAA for the use of their nickname, the Fighting Sioux.

"It is inherently wrong to use a race of people to represent athletics," said Dr. Leigh Jeanotte, director of American Indian Student Services at UND. "There is nothing that the UND administration or athletic department can do that would make it right."

Jeanotte said the Fighting Sioux nickname creates a hostile environment at games, particularly among fans.

"There is no way to control fans' behavior, Fighting Sioux fans or the opposing teams' antics," she said. "It is natural, traditional if you will, to poke fun at opposing teams, and this is one aspect of the environment that creates the atmosphere of disrespect.

"The only thing that can be done to correct this wrong is to change the name to one that is appropriate and can be celebrated and supported by all."

UND senior Nick Turman has regularly attended football and men's hockey games during the past four years. Turman said that although fan behavior varies from person to person, generally fans at UND are respectful of the nickname.

"Our fans are great, we don't do or say anything to disrespect the Sioux name," he said. "Even if opposing fans are heckling us, I'd like to think it's directed at our athletes and not actual members of the tribe."

Turman said he feels UND is a campus where American Indians and their heritage are honored and respected.

"The university makes it a point to honor the Sioux people and their history," he said. "If anything, the university fosters interaction between students and the American Indian community."

This is actually a reasonably fair and balanced article. I'm not sure how Leigh Jeanotte will feel about being transformed into a female, however. :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

From the Chicago Tribune:

Illiniwek's fate still up in the air

Will Saturday be the last dance for Chief Illiniwek at Memorial Stadium?

Maybe.

Then again, maybe not.

Many observers (including, unfortunately, me) are speculating that the University of Illinois' popular, but controversial symbol won't be performing at Illini sporting events beyond this school year.

Wakeland pointed to pending legislation before Congress that would allow universities to sue the NCAA and seek damages for lost revenue if barred from hosting a championship game.

He also referred to a lawsuit recently filed against the NCAA by the University of North Dakota, which, like Illinois, can't host postseason events because of its Fighting Sioux imagery.

The News-Gazette reported that U. of I. trustees have been tight-lipped about the issue in recent months.

On Thursday, though, spokeseman Tom Hardy said, "The board of trustees has a consensus process under way" and that it is following the pending legislation and lawsuit.

Those fighting Sioux nickname lose sight of most Indian views

Someone from the media actually interviewing Sioux people. Wonderful.

Members of the Standing Rock judicial committee visited UND early in 2006 to assess the situation for themselves. "We spoke to everyone, from students on the street to people at the gas station," says Fool Bear. "Not one gave us any evidence of racism. We went to a hockey game, and they talked about the courage and integrity of the Sioux people. We looked at each other like, 'Wow, we don't even honor our Sioux warriors or veterans like this on the reservation.' "
Fool Bear and others are now trying to get the Tribal Council resolution rescinded. They point out that Indian education is a top priority at UND, which has more than 30 programs to support its Indian students. The "Indians into Medicine" program, for example, has generated 20 percent of all the American Indian doctors in the United States, according to school officials.

Great find, GeauxSioux!!

This little bit gave me a 'hmmm' moment. A little different slant on what the Name Changers have posted on SS.com.

"Our young people go there to get an education," says Fool Bear. "When they arrive, they're asked, 'What do you think of the logo?' If they have no problem with it, they are badgered and harassed for four years."

White Mountain recalls the committee's meeting with a UND group that opposes the name. "I asked them, 'What tribe do you belong to?' " he says. "Not one was a Sioux Indian."This group insisted that the name promotes racism on campus," adds Fool Bear. "I told them, 'Put any instances of abuse in writing.' Today, I'm still waiting -- I haven't gotten one complaint."

I think this is pretty significant. No one was a Sioux Indian. I wonder how many were college professors.

"When they arrive, they're asked, 'What do you think of the logo?' If they have no problem with it, they are badgered and harassed for four years."

Leave it to the Strib to interview those "hang around the fort" Indians ... :D;)

Since Kersten tends to present a very conservative view in her columns, I'm sure the editorial pages will be the site of letters/columns from "the enlightened" set ... and maybe even another screed from Whinin' Nick Coleman himself. :D

Yes, Kersten is like the anti-Coleman in the Strib. If there are a lot of letters to the editor regarding her piece, I hope they limit the number, just like they did those in response to Coleman's opinion piece. At least Kersten interviewed people and presented some real facts (even if they were just the ones supporting her opinion). For the most part Coleman only threw out his own opinions, and bestowed his own judgements.

Cudos to Kersten on a great piece, IMO.