SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Fine job on the USCHO piece PCM.

Thanks for the kinds words. I didn't realize that USCHO had added the interview with Kupchella to the main story. Some might want to check it out. He has some interesting comments about UND's ongoing efforts to work with the tribes.

"We are planning on aggressively defending our right and our responsibility, quite frankly, to conduct our own NCAA championships in an environment free of racial stereotyping," said NCAA spokesman Bob Williams.

...and having the Pontiac name and logo plastered everywhere at your "own NCAA championships" is what?

Just did a Google search; heads up Mike'

October is also

German American Month

Italian American Month

Polish American Month.

So, Mike, your house, saurkraut and sausages, spaghetti and meatballs, golabki and kielbasa??

Hey, at least it was October. :silly: November is the nationally recognized Native American Heritage and Awareness Month.

Josh Centor, who writes the NCAA's Double-A Zone blog, sounds a bit worried today.

North Dakota sues NCAA. In a move I think we all anticipated, North Dakota sued the NCAA on Friday to challenge its restrictions of the Fighting Sioux nickname. I was thinking about this last night before I went to bed, and while I understand the frustration of the North Dakota administration and fans, I can

This Chris Peltier guy.... Uh... well, him not taking the party line (All Native Americans are against the nickname) means he won't be in that position for long. He's too level headed. He's obviously a "Hang around the fort" type that has "turned his back on his people." :silly:

Here's something related to the NC$$.

Writing on Oct. 2 to NCAA President Myles Brand, House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Thomas (R., Calif.) asked enough probing questions to keep Mr. Brand and his university associates busy for ages. They must now scramble to prove that their underlying mission is educational in nature -- the basis on which college-sports revenue traditionally has been sheltered from the taxman. For the average reader, however, the letter contains some bombshells that could make it difficult to have much sympathy for the NCAA and its member schools during their current ordeal under the congressional microscope.
The letter zeroes in on some familiar criticisms for the NCAA, such as low-graduation rates among athletes -- only 55% for football players at Division I-A schools, Rep. Thomas writes, and 38% for basketball, compared with 64% for all students. In his reply, Mr. Brand undoubtedly will cite some signs of improvement, particularly with regard to graduation rates among black athletes -- the students most often victims of schools that want their players' touchdowns and baskets without having to give them an education.

The Wall Street Journal

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

NCAA way: think small, stand tall

Reporter: Hello? I'm trying to reach Mr. Jones of the D.O.L.T.

NCAA: That would be me, James T. Jones, Division of Offensive Logos and Trademarks.

Reporter: I guess you guys are probably tired of hearing that D.O.L.T. spells "dolt."

NCAA: Why would we be tired of that? We're one of the NCAA's fastest-growing and most successful departments. Last Tuesday was "DOLT Pride" day at our headquarters in Indianapolis. We've got lots of dolts walking the halls here, but everyone in the building was claiming to be a dolt that day.

Reporter: You really ought to consider a departmental name change.

NCAA: At our last meeting, someone proposed the Initiative to Drop Inappropriate and Outdated Terminology. I kind of liked the sound of it.