SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

NCAA takes proper stance in school nickname brouhaha

The North Dakota Fighting Sioux are fighting mad, and their anger is directed at the NCAA. Actually, their anger is misdirected at the NCAA.
Here's the response I sent to Mr. Woody (a name I find offensive, by the way) and to the newspaper as a letter to the editor.

Dear Mr. Woody:

You said in your Sunday column: "And if a group has a legitimate issue about the use of its name on the side of a football helmet or volleyball uniform and asks you nicely to stop, that's what you do."

And if the Republican party had a legitimate issue about your newspaper's criticism of President Bush and asked it nicely to stop, that's what the Richmond Times-Dispatch would do. Right?

Or if Catholics had a legitimate issue about you criticizing their church and asked you nicely to stop, that's what you would do. Right?

I'm constantly amazed that people who call themselves journalists are willing to overlook the right of free expression and advocate censorship as long as it's for an issue with which they agree. That's called hypocrisy.

There's a  long list of national, state and local American Indian organizations across the country that have called for an end to the practice of giving sports teams Native American nicknames. Florida State, Central Michigan and Utah have all been asked to stop directly and indirectly by any number of groups.

Yet you apparently believe -- as the NCAA does -- that these three schools deserve a pass on their use of American Indian nicknames, mascots and imagery while the University of North Dakota does not. Does this mean that the Native American groups that have asked UND to stop using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo have "a legitimate issue" while the groups that have asked all schools to end the practice don't?

Florida State uses a white person dressed up as an Indian to perform during its games. The University of North Dakota does nothing like this in its use of the Fighting Sioux nickname. But you and the NCAA believe FSU deserves a pass and UND doesn't.

If you'd do a bit of research, you'd learn that UND President Charles Kupchella is absolutely correct when he says that his university has more American Indian students and more educational programs and services for them than any of the schools that the NCAA has let off the hook. In fact, it has more American Indian students and provides more educational opportunities for them than any state-run university in its region.

But in the NCAA's eyes, that doesn't qualify as having "a special relationship" with American Indians while having the approval of a local tribe to use a nickname does. Again, that's called hypocrisy.

What your readers need to know about this issue is that if a university uses an American Indian nickname for its athletic teams, the NCAA cares deeply about how Native Americans are treated today and in the past. And if it doesn't, the school is free to ignore the plight of American Indians today and their past treatment.

From the Grand Forks Herald:

COLLEGE NICKNAMES: A lack of support

UND fails to receive nickname endorsement by

tribes, while many other colleges succeed

At Florida State University, a white student, wearing war paint and dressed as a Seminole Indian, rides a horse onto the football field and throws a flaming spear into the ground.

UND officials shudder at the thought of allowing something similar. But, at Florida State, the tradition of Chief Osceola is seen by the tribe as a tribute, not a sign of disrespect.

This is a good story about what FSU, CMU and Utah do to work with the tribes in their states. The only problem I have with the story is that it appears to assume that UND does nothing similar to those schools, and I'm fairly certain that's not the case. In addition, while ongong communciation is great, it's also a two-way street. Both sides must be willing to engage in it.

OUR OPINION: NCAA should hold hearings in North Dakota

OUR VIEW: UND deserves a chance to make its case in person, and the NCAA should visit N.D. to hear all sides.

But the association is wrong in its assignment of blame for that climate. For it wasn't the nickname itself that prompted these outbursts; Grand Forks hasn't seen anything like this in years. It was the NCAA's forcing the issue.

By trying to coerce UND into making such a hot-button change, the NCAA inspired not cooperation but backlash, by nickname supporters and the university alike.

The Herald should be commended for this idea because it's a good one. However, given the NCAA's practice of considering only information it agress with while ignoring information that tends to support UND's case, I'm somewhat skeptical that it would open any eyes on the organization's executive committee. It is worth a try, however.

Along the same lines, perhaps it would be more helpful for UND to first invite all the tribal council members to the university to let them see firsthand what goes on here. That might be a more useful exercise than bringing in the NCAA.

It's Monday, and still don't see my letter in the on-line edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing, isn't it? Over the past month or so, I've submitted at least four letter to the editor in response to editorials or columns. Not one of them has made it into print.

Amazing, isn't it? Over the past month or so, I've submitted at least four letter to the editor in response to editorials or columns. Not one of them has made it into print.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats because they press doesn't want a pro-name article they want to focus on the negative and keep their pro-change name slant going.

I'm not really sure what to think of this. I guess I thought most letters make print, but maybe I'm naive about how many letters they get each day. I would understand some need to be weeded out. I guess if mine didn't make it, that's the way it goes. But in your case to have so many and NONE make it, well, that sounds like more than bad luck.

Anyone who brings Engelstad Arena or Ralph Engelstad into this debate is merely jealous of what he has donated to this University.

And we all know that jealousy is the highest form of flattery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jealousy and immitation...

Which is why the Xcel Center is practically a replica of the Ralph!

The article also makes no mention of the possiblity of any other school hosting if indeed the writer had the facts right- which they didn't .

Jealousy and immitation...

Which is why the Xcel Center is practically a replica of the Ralph! 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

June 23, 1998: arena ground-breaking for Xcel Energy Center in St Paul.

September 1999: arena enclosed.

September 2000: arena completed.

October 2000: opening night for Minnesota Wild.

October 5, 2001: Opening night for UND in the new REA.

Do the math.

Scary, but I almost agree with the Dakota Student editorial board once in my life. :):lol:

http://www.thedakotastudent.com/vnews/disp...9/433c8752c10bb

The organization has been extremely weak in the way it has enforced its ruling. It should be all or none. The University of Utah and Florida State are big schools that have some serious financial power - especially when one considers the football programs at both schools - and were scratched from the hostile and abusive list.

The NCAA tried to bully these schools around, and basically walked away with its tail between its legs.

When it comes to UND, however, the NCAA has more leverage because of our Division II status. We don't have television stations dying to cover our athletic programs. Yes, our hockey team is a national power, but collegiate hockey doesn't garner anywhere near the national attention football and other sports do.

During the news conference, Kupchella made a good point. Now that the NCAA has cleared the big boys, it appears as if it is ready to play ball with schools that aren't quite as nationally prominent in terms of sports.

And here's one that better:

Fighting against racism is a true and valiant cause, but we doubt that is the goal of the NCAA's ruling. In an attempt to be politically correct, the organization made the cowardly move to impose a vaguely worded policy against the use of Native American nicknames.

Hostile and abusive are extremely strong words. The campus environment at UND is clearly not hostile and abusive towards anyone.

Money has to play a role in this process. There is no other reason for the NCAA to back down on its ruling so quickly when confronted by Florida State and company.

It's sad that political correctness takes the back seat to cash ... but fortunately for the NCAA, it can still pick on schools like UND.

We wish the university the best of luck in fighting the indecisive monopoly that is the NCAA. Bring it down.

What's funny is that Mr. Engelstad seems rather tame now compared to what Florida State and Utah have been able to achieve with money and power.

Did anyone read Doreen Yellowbird's column in Satrudays GF Herald? She confirms that UND did in fact ask and was granted permission to use the name over 50 yrs ago by the Standing Rock Lakota Nation and they are the ones who rescinded the permission and therefore because of that, it is really their decision not Spirit Lakes. She states that they were the ones who rescinded that approval today". She goes on to state that "Lakota elders and tribal officials told me they wish to meet with the university, all tribes in North Dakota and the Great Sioux Nation. They want to carve out some kind of compromise with University on the nickname and logo issue."

She prefaced her column by stating she was writing with the "advice and consent of the elders of The Standing Rock Lakota Nation".

I would like to hear my pal Kracker respond to this because in the past he very rudely has stated emphatically that we did not ask or receive permission to use the name. I hope either he or "skew the facts" will weigh in on a discussion of the confirmation by Doreen of what many of us have said happened in the beginning and also what they think Doreen means with her comments about tribal leaders and elders wanting to meet with the other tribal officials and UND personnel to work out a compromise.

http://www.thedakotastudent.com/vnews/disp...3/4341965c0008d

Yet when an important issue like this arises, President Kupchella writes up an appeal and makes statements about students' pride in the logo. I was certainly never asked for my opinion, and, in my two years here, I have not met a single student who supports the logo

Ummm, have you actually attended a sporting event at UND? Not one person? How is that possible? Must be nice living in a cave for two years. :lol:

Ummm, have you actually attended a sporting event at UND?  Not one person?  How is that possible? Must be nice living in a cave for two years.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The famous 1972 quote: "I can't believe Nixon won. Everyone I know voted for McGovern."

Ummm, have you actually attended a sporting event at UND? Not one person? How is that possible? Must be nice living in a cave for two years. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha I must say I'm shocked that nobody on campus supports the logo :) That was the most out-of-left-field statement I've ever heard. Maybe the only person she's ever met was a pet rock that really didnt take a side on the logo issue.

After all, a school is for the students, not for the administrators to fight political battles.
Caitlin needs to get out more and maybe pay a little closer attention to current events.

For instance, Florida State provides a percentage of all earnings from Seminole merchandise directly to the tribe.

False.

It is important to remember that a logo is not nearly as important as the unique contributions of each individual student, faculty and staff member in creating a valuable educational experience.
Right. So why do you care whether it changes or not?

The president and university administration should take into account the opinions of the students rather than acting on their personal beliefs.

Translation: Kupchella should act on my personal beliefs.

These methods would be much more productive than arguing with the NCAA over their choice of words. After all, actions speak louder than words.

That's nice, except that the NCAA started the argument and refused to end it when Kupchella asked them to.

But, hey, if discussing the scholarship of "some American Indian students" makes UND a hostile and abusive place, then it's time to raise the white flag, throw in the towel and fall on our swords. We've been busted by Caitlin. :silly:

The job of a university president should be to serve the students.
The majority or the minority?

..but I have also been privy to a number of discussions questioning the scholarship of some American Indian students.

When I was a student at UND, tutoring was available to those who asked or were referred. Isn't that still in place?

The programs are wonderful but need to be complemented with additional programs and awareness education.
Where has this person been the past two years? The first "new" program that comes to mind that I believe is in the development stage
Not long ago I took a trip to make a proposal to establish an epidemiological program to support American Indian health throughout the Upper Great Plains.
http://www.UND.edu/president/html/statements/NCAAletter.html

For instance, Florida State provides a percentage of all earnings from Seminole merchandise directly to the tribe.
The number of American Indian programs that UND has and the number of American Indian students UND has compared to FSU surpasses, IMHO, any money that FSU shares with the Seminole tribe.

..strengthen our relationship with the tribes.

I agree.

Thanks for the link, Diggler.

About time. My thanks to all those who kept the pressure on.

Of course, Conrad can't resist getting some political mileage out of the issue.

However, he felt state leaders might have provided more help to UND in the matter. "It's unfortunate," Conrad said, "the state has not managed to resolve this with the NCAA as other states have done."

I noticed that the Congressional delegation of one of those "other states" that got its appeal approved first jumped on the NCAA almost immediately. What took you so long, Kent? Maybe you, Earl and Byron should have said something before UND filed its appeal, not after it was denied.

Edited by PCM

It is really hard to believe that it took them that long to weigh in on this matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was this story in the print version of the Herald? I just skimmed it this morning and don't remember seeing it.