SiouxSports.com Forum

Jonathan Toews Named Team Canada Captain

AZSIOUX

I don't want to raise my expectations too high for this kid but I have a feeling he is going to be a really good college player. Plus since he is so young we may actually have him in a Sioux uniform for a couple of years.

not a bad start for toews!!!

CANADA'S UNDER-18s BEAT SWITZERLAND 5-3

BRECLAV, Czech Republic - Jonathan Toews scored twice and added an empty netter to complete the hat trick. Jonathan Bernier made 31 saves and was named the player of the game. Other goals scored by Zach Hamil and John Armstrong. The team played a Canadian style phyical game. The parents of McCrae, Chaput and Bodnarchuk were in attendance. Canada will play tomorrow at 4pm against Sweden.

I think we have to try to keep everything in perspective. It's hard not to have high expectations for him, but we have to remember that he just turned 17 three months ago. He will play his entire 1st year of college hockey as a 17 year old. Over the years, UND has probably had more 17 year old players than any other school, and it's been a difficult transition for most of them. I've been told that what sets Toews apart from others is that he excels at every part of the game, not just the offensive end. His play along the boards and away from the puck is as good as it gets. This, along with his leadership and offensive abilities, is what will separate him from the other high profile recruits. But we'll need to give him time to adjust to this level of hockey.

I think we have to try to keep everything in perspective.  It's hard not to have high expectations for him, but we have to remember that he just turned 17 three months ago.  He will play his entire 1st year of college hockey as a 17 year old.  Over the years, UND has probably had more 17 year old players than any other school, and it's been a difficult transition for most of them.  I've been told that what sets Toews apart from others is that he excels at every part of the game, not just the offensive end.  His play along the boards and away from the puck is as good as it gets.  This, along with his leadership and offensive abilities, is what will separate him from the other high profile recruits.  But we'll need to give him time to adjust to this level of hockey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I coached against Jonathan when he was six years old and noticed that he was a special player even then. When he had scored his five or six goals he would try and find another kid on his team that hadn't scored for a while and he would set that kid up.

I watched him until he was 14 when he left Manitoba to pursue a hockey career outside of the Province. I can tell you that if he isn't a force initially because of the difference in speed and strength of the players at the College level, he will be by Christmas. The kid is an absolute warrior and he is one of the smartest kids you will ever come across. He will adapt very quickly.

The kid is an absolute "warrior"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have permission from the NCAA to use that term? Doreen McFeely could read this board and be offended by that type of reference.

Note: You're probably aware that Doreen McFeely writes a column for the Grand Forks Herald and Fargo Forum.

I think the fact that people on this board including myself are comparing him to Kessel, shows that we know that he will be a great player. I can't wait to see him. I think that if players like Stafford, Spirko, Zajac can have big years that Toews will have a great chance at being rookie of the year in the WCHA. UND was working hard to get him and even though it didn't get the publicty of the Kessel decision, I know it was huge for the Sioux program to get Toews. I cant wait to here it.

Heeeeeeeeeeerres your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux SCORING. Scoring his 4th goal of the year #9 Jonathan Toews, assisted by #22 Brian Lee.

Do you have permission from the NCAA to use that term? Doreen McFeely could read this board and be offended by that type of reference.

Note: You're probably aware that Doreen McFeely writes a column for the Grand Forks Herald and Fargo Forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, how about he's an "absolute savage"?

Captain of Canada's National Team tells me enough about the kid that I know he will be a force to be reckoned with and that he will likely give Mr. Media to the south a good run for his money when it comes to picking this seasons top rookie.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a good name for Kessel "Mr. Media". Hopefully he does not live up to all the hype. Either way I think he will be gone after one season anyway so as long as the Goofies don't win the national championship, who cares. I think Toews being named captain of that squad is a great honor. There have to be some very good hockey prospects on that team. I cannot wait to see him in a Sioux uniform. The big question is who will he play on a line with. I would have loved to see him and Murray on the same line. Oh well, I think there is enough talent to provide him with some good linemates.

I too cannot wait to see this kid play. I think with him the Sioux are going to be a contender. What a pick-up. I can see that he already fits into the typical mold of a Sioux player.........work and skate hard or sit and watch.......and he is just one of the many talented players coming in.

Although a lot of variables can enter in, we could possibly make a Toews/Stafford comparison. As a senior with SSM, Stafford had 116 points. I believe Toews had very close to that total last year at SSM as a senior (although he accelerated, so that would have really been his junior year). Stafford was still 17 years old when he started school at UND, but turned 18 in October of that year. Toews won't turn 18 until his freshmen hockey season is over. Stafford had 11 goals and 21 assists for 32 points his first season with the Sioux, so maybe that's a realistic goal for Toews.

Although a lot of variables can enter in, we could possibly make a Toews/Stafford comparison.  As a senior with SSM, Stafford had 116 points.  I believe Toews had very close to that total last year at SSM as a senior (although he accelerated, so that would have really been his junior year).  Stafford was still 17 years old when he started school at UND, but turned 18 in October of that year.  Toews won't turn 18 until his freshmen hockey season is over.  Stafford had 11 goals and 21 assists for 32 points his first season with the Sioux, so maybe that's a realistic goal for Toews.

Not a bad comparison.

Although a lot of variables can enter in, we could possibly make a Toews/Stafford comparison.  As a senior with SSM, Stafford had 116 points.  I believe Toews had very close to that total last year at SSM as a senior (although he accelerated, so that would have really been his junior year).  Stafford was still 17 years old when he started school at UND, but turned 18 in October of that year.  Toews won't turn 18 until his freshmen hockey season is over.  Stafford had 11 goals and 21 assists for 32 points his first season with the Sioux, so maybe that's a realistic goal for Toews.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly! Let's not expect him to be the go-to guy on the Sioux. Let's just let him learn as he goes and take whatever contribution he makes as a bonus.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see that comparison but I think Toews is quite a bit more talented and has more potential than Stafford who is not going to ever be a huge scorer but plays a solid all-around game. Time will tell but I am quite confident he will easily surpass Stafford's frehman point total.

I can see that comparison but I think Toews is quite a bit more talented and has more potential than Stafford who is not going to ever be a huge scorer but plays a solid all-around game. Time will tell but I am quite confident he will easily surpass Stafford's frehman point total.

Stafford was also a pretty high draft pick, was he not? Pretty hard to say for sure that there is that much seperation between the two of them when Toews hasn't even played a game yet. I know I'm a mental midget, but I'll be happy if he's similar to Stafford in stats by the end of the year.

Stafford played with a a pretty good player named Sidney Crosby. That may have helped his point totals. But I wont take anything away from Stafford he is probably the most talented player in the WCHA this year . He should score over 30 goals this year. Maybe Toews will be his center on the SSM line with Porter or Duncan.

I think Toews is going to be comparable to Zack.

Also Stafford didn't play on 1st or 2nd line as a freshmen at UND until very late in the season and no powerplay time either.

Toews named player of the game with 2 assists in 6-2 win over czech republic

Canada played an outstanding first period being very physical and dominating the game. Goals by Marchand, Hamill and Calla put Canada up 3-0 after the opening frame. Jonathan Toews was named player of the game for his excellent play shift after shift.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/e/teams/mens/u1...5-06/index.html