SiouxSports.com Forum

This Native American loves the Fighting Sioux name

nativeamericanson

You've never heard of student athletes? With its new policy on logos, mascots and nicknames, the NCAA claims to be acting in the best interest of student athletes. Maybe you should call Myles Brand and tell him to butt out. :glare:;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

read your policy handbook. I'm just rephrasing what it says. Don't get off track here, people in here tend to take one little tidbit of what I comment on and twist it to make me out the bad guy.

Just look at the facts. The Sioux Nation has asked for the retirement of this name. Plain and simple.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now Indians are being compared to cartoons?  I know you are trying to be funny, but this isn't funny.  Typical ignorance on your part.  Call us whiners.  But this is one battle that will come to a head soon enough.

And by the way, only Papa Smurf had the red hat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't comparing anybody to Smurfs. But if you want to take offense to it and tell me what I was doing, go right ahead. And I know Papa Smurf is the only one in red, that's why I wanted to red hat and pants for me.

Perhaps you should stop picking and chosing what questions you want to answer and which questions you want to ignore. Not once have you given an explanation to what you find offensive and why you find it offensive. You simply said it is offensive and all but one of the Sioux tribes have asked for UND to change the name. Typically in a discussion of this type, a person gives their reasons for why they are arguing their side and their personal feelings. You haven't done that though. Don't you have an opinon of your own? If not, that's ok I guess. Just say so.

Besides repreating that the Sioux tribes have asked for the change, the only thing you've done is insult people who disagree with you on the board. How about instead of repeating what others say and insulting those who disagree with you, you tell us what you think on the nickname and what your reasoning is? Would that really be so hard?

And you think my people will go away if we are not "honored" by your logos?

No. That's your misintreptation of my words.

Expunging the Sioux name from the public view gives people one more excuse to forget. You don't sound like you want people to forget, so why help them?

I'm simply asking for your personal feelings. Beyond what others say. Why do you agree with what the Sioux tribes have said? Why is that so hard for you to answer?

• Do you want the name to change because then you feel the assaults that have occured to you won't happen to you or others?
  • What about the name is derogratory towards you? What does it cause?
  • Why is it ok for for Native Americans to use Sioux, but it isn't ok for UND? Because UND aren't Native Americans? Only native americans should be allowed to use the name? Why?
  • What if someone who wasn't a Native American, not UND, used the name in a respectful manner? Is that OK?

There are many people on this board that want to understand your viewpoint, whether you believe that or not. That is why they are asking questions like this. When you don't express your viewpoint and reasoning or answer these questions, it makes it difficult to understand why you believe what you believe.

Thank you.

Expunging the Sioux name from the public view gives people one more excuse to forget. You don't sound like you want people to forget, so why help them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These are your words....

"Helping people forget that the Sioux ever existed would be honoring them? How so?"

We, the Sioux people, won't forget who we are. Can you speak your language? Whatever culture you claim, can you speak it? Do you practice your customs and ways? Many of my Sioux People do, some don't, but many do.

QUESTION -- There are over 500 Federally recognized Tribes in this country, and with 18 colleges being forced to change, what happened to the other tribes w/o colleges honoring them?

ANSWER -- They are doing just fine w/o your "honor"

I'm simply asking for your personal feelings.  Beyond what others say.  Why do you agree with what the Sioux tribes have said?  Why is that so hard for you to answer? 
  • Do you want the name to change because then you feel the assaults that have occured to you won't happen to you or others?

• What about the name is derogratory towards you?  What does it cause?

• Why is it ok for for Native Americans to use Sioux, but it isn't ok for UND?  Because UND aren't Native Americans?  Only native americans should be allowed to use the name? Why? 

• What if someone who wasn't a Native American, not UND, used the name in a respectful manner?  Is that OK?

There are many people on this board that want to understand your viewpoint, whether you believe that or not.  That is why they are asking questions like this. When you don't express your viewpoint and reasoning or answer these questions, it makes it difficult to understand why you believe what you believe.

Thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wanna know why GrahamKracker isn't answering any of these questions. He just ignores them every time somebody asks, or he says something like "I get sick of explaining this over and over again" when, from my recollection, he never really has explained the answers to these questions. Most of everyone who has posted on this board has explained their views, and then he just decides to jump to conclusions/accuse people of things. It would be great, GrahamKracker, if you could just provide some insightful answers here so we can understand where you're coming from.

We, the Sioux people, won't forget who we are.  Can you speak your language?  Whatever culture you claim, can you speak it?  Do you practice your customs and ways?  Many of my Sioux People do, some don't, but many do.

Dang it, Krack, there you go again>>

"Traditionally when a Dakota/Nakota/Lakota person was asked by one of our own people

I think Iowa, actually named after a tribe, and pointed to as a shining beacon of spineless enlightenment by the NC$$, should change its name from the "Hawkeyes", which is a ripoff from The Last of the Mohicans written by that white profiteering author James Fenimore Cooper about a tribe of Indians that never existed. Although the movie was pretty good, and Russell Means wasn't even beating his wife in it. :glare:

Help me here mikejm: are you ignorant?  cause you sure sound like it.  quit pulling info out of your butt and go do some research.

DUDE!! Don't you LA boys know there is more than one site to do research. Here's one that supports mikejm. Go rag on the Sask. Indians who maintain the site. Chill, LA boy.

"The first written documentation of contact with our people is in the 1640 Jesuit Relations. Jean Nicolet, based on information he had collected a few years earlier, provided names of a number of bands that he claimed were Naduesiu. Naduesiu is the French corruption of the Ojibwe term nadowe-is-iw-ug (nadowe = adder (species of snake) is = diminutive (smaller) iw-ug = they are) that was a derogatory nickname they used to distinguish the O

Help me here mikejm: are you ignorant?  cause you sure sound like it.  quit pulling info out of your butt and go do some research.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think personal attacks have any place in this discussion KTF. I've not called you ignorant, and I would appreciate reciprocity. I merely stated what has been presented previously: that the term "Sioux" is not the proper, nor the preferred tribal identifier; rather, that the Native peoples use the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota titles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You hit it right on the head PCM! I assume GK would PREFER we forget about the Sioux and then he'll bitch about WHY we forgot them...UND helps MAKE the Lakota/Dakota/Nakota people special and DOES NOT denigrate them. If you wanna see stereotypes...go back 30 years to Sammy The Sioux. We moved past that...GK needs to realize there's more potential good to be realized than his narrow mind can imagine...