SiouxSports.com Forum

This Native American loves the Fighting Sioux name

nativeamericanson

I just listened to Dr. Kupchella's interview on ESPN Game Night.

He said that one Sioux nation in ND (I'm assuming Standing Rock) has asked UND to stop. He said the other (again, assuming Spirit Lake) has told UND if it uses the name it should be using it to educate people about and to raise understanding of the American Indians (and with a "respectfully in usage" also I'm sure).

That doesn't seem to align with what Mr. Kracker has been telling us.

Of course, none of that matters because the Florida Seminole Nations' wishes regarding Florida State matter not to the NCAA thus none of this matters either.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are so ignorant, maybe after Feb 1st Indians won't be allowed on campus, is that what you'd like next? If there are other Indians who don't have the same views as me, that's fine, but where are they?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This Sioux doesn't have the same view as you but you'll more than likely dismiss his views saying he isn't following his native ways or isn't Indian enough. :D

Still trying to get up to speed here with GK, so sorry if I'm going over something which has been discussed elsewhere or earlier, but I thought the Lakota people had disavowed the word "Sioux", calling it a label that had been applied to them by the Anglos.

If we don't truly have a Sioux people, then why all the fuss?

I just listened to Dr. Kupchella's interview on ESPN Game Night.

He said that one Sioux nation in ND (I'm assuming Standing Rock) has asked UND to stop. He said the other (again, assuming Spirit Lake) has told UND if it uses the name it should be using it to educate people about and to raise understanding of the American Indians (and with a "respectfully in usage" also I'm sure).

That doesn't seem to align with what Mr. Kracker has been telling us.

Of course, none of that matters because the Florida Seminole Nations' wishes regarding Florida State matter not to the NCAA thus none of this matters either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why doesn't it align? Spirit Lake is the only Sioux tribe that has not passed a resolution calling for the end of the use of the logo/nickname. Kupcake forgot to mention the entire SIOUX Nation of SD has passed resolutions, as well as other non-Sioux tribes, against the name. I've always said one tribe, go ahead and look at my past posts. And Mr. Sica, before you accuse me of something, do your homework. hetche to yelo.

Still trying to get up to speed here with GK, so sorry if I'm going over something which has been discussed elsewhere or earlier, but I thought the Lakota people had disavowed the word "Sioux", calling it a label that had been applied to them by the Anglos.

If we don't truly have a Sioux people, then why all the fuss?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who the F#^# do you think that logo looks like? A Nazi? A Viking?? I think we can safely say that it is suppose to look like a Native American off of the cover of a romance novel. Regardless of the name, the SIOUX Nation (all but one tribe) has asked this University to end the use of this name, isn't that enough?

If you want to know what a Sioux is, look it up in an encyclopedia, I'm sure you won't find a picture of a drunk college student in a green wig. I'd be willing to bet you'd find information on the Oceti Sakowin. Hetche to yelo.

So what about some sort of compromise?  Some sort of discussion between UND and all the Sioux tribes or at least both the ones in North Dakota? Include the Sioux tribes in on the use of the name, keep the name but drop the Fighting part, drop the name in an official capacity but still use use it for merchendise and a large portion of the money goes to teh tribes, etc.  Something like that so both sides are happy.  You can rarely get exactly what you want.  Life is about compromise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compromise. How about this. I propose that since this University is the Fighting Sioux, that EVERY ENROLLED MEMBER OF THE SIOUX NATION, US AND CANADA, THAT IS ELIGIBLE, IS ENTITLED TO A FREE EDUCATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, AT ALL LEVELS OF EDUCATION. ALSO, EVERY BUILDING ON CAMPUS WILL BE RE-NAMED THAT OF A L/D/N/ CHIEF OR MEMBER OF HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE. That would be my compromise. That would be something I would agree on. I would be for that. See? I'm a compromising person.

Who the F#^# do you think that logo looks like?  A Nazi?  A Viking??  I think we can safely say that it is suppose to look like a Native American off of the cover of a romance novel.  Regardless of the name, the SIOUX Nation (all but one tribe) has asked this University to end the use of this name, isn't that enough? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point he was making was that San Diego State University Aztecs were exempt from the NCAA's list of schools, based on the fact that no Aztecs or decendants are living.

The University of North Dakota's logo is absolutely beautiful.

Compromise.  How about this.  I propose that since this University is the Fighting Sioux, that EVERY ENROLLED MEMBER OF THE SIOUX NATION, US AND CANADA, THAT IS ELIGIBLE,  IS ENTITLED TO A FREE EDUCATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, AT ALL LEVELS OF EDUCATION.  ALSO,  EVERY BUILDING ON CAMPUS WILL BE RE-NAMED THAT OF A L/D/N/ CHIEF OR MEMBER OF HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE.    That would be my compromise.  That would be something I would agree on.  I would be for that.  See?  I'm a compromising person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So......you would be selling out for the almighty dollar.

If you want to know what a Sioux is, look it up in an encyclopedia, I'm sure you won't find a picture of a drunk college student in a green wig.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen a picture of a Viking who looked like Duante Culpepper, either. :D

Edited by PCM

Compromise.  How about this.  I propose that since this University is the Fighting Sioux, that EVERY ENROLLED MEMBER OF THE SIOUX NATION, US AND CANADA, THAT IS ELIGIBLE,  IS ENTITLED TO A FREE EDUCATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, AT ALL LEVELS OF EDUCATION.  ALSO,  EVERY BUILDING ON CAMPUS WILL BE RE-NAMED THAT OF A L/D/N/ CHIEF OR MEMBER OF HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE.    That would be my compromise.  That would be something I would agree on.  I would be for that.  See?  I'm a compromising person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that your "compromise" lacks diversity and doesn't show proper respect for other cultures.

Who the F#^# do you think that logo looks like?  A Nazi?  A Viking??  I think we can safely say that it is suppose to look like a Native American off of the cover of a romance novel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'd need to see a full body shot before I could make that determination. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK, so if these meeting ever occur you can present your ideas or have someone who is representing your tribe can present it. Perhaps it will happen, perhaps it won't and instead there will be some other agreement. Then whatever is agreed upon is what goes, thus ending this issue once and for all. Finally we can try solving more important things in this world.

No need to yell though, that won't go over well at the meetings. :D

I would agree to the free education portion of your compromise BUT with the same stipulation that I (a woman of Hispanic descent who paid for her own education through work and loans and as a result of my UND advanced degree earn a very nice income) have imposed on my children. I will pay for their education AFTER they have passed their classes with an acceptable, for them, grade (one of my children has a learning disability). As for renaming the buildings, no way. It was not a Native American who made the Aerospace program one, if not the, best in the world. That be John Odegard, baby!

How are you screwed? You're here, so obviously you haven't been deprived of your life. You haven't said that you're a political prisoner

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Marge! I was a political prisoner!

How were you a political prisoner?

I kicked a giant mouse in the butt! Do I have to draw you a picture?

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but GrahamKracker is pretty much alone in these arguments. Where are all the other people that are so adamant for changing the name? Where is your support in general? I know you say you have all these decrease from various tribes and all, but do NONE of them have Internet cabability and the desire to come to a peaceful solution? Why is GK the only one talking? Sorry, I'm becoming redundant.

As long as we're demanding free education, I think the state should pay for my son's college education at UND. He is, after all, the descendent of a wrongfully persecuted Catholic Irishman who was forced to leave his homeland by the evil British. There's gotta be something for me in this deal. :D

As long as we're demanding free education, I think the state should pay for my son's college education at UND. He is, after all, the descendent of a wrongfully persecuted Catholic Irishman who was forced to leave his homeland by the evil British.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Plus look who his dad is! :D

As long as we're demanding free education, I think the state should pay for my son's college education at UND. He is, after all, the descendent of a wrongfully persecuted Catholic Irishman who was forced to leave his homeland by the evil British. There's gotta be something for me in this deal.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK then, as a person of Mexican descent whose ancesters were pummeled by the Irish immigrants who were conscripted into the Army during the Mexican-American war, I want a refund!

As an avid lover of The Smurfs in my youth, I demand UND does the following

1. Build me a house that resembles a giant mushroom.

2. Build similar homes on the block so that I can have my own Smurf Village

3. Bring in a hot Swedish chick neighbor who's stripper name is Smurfette

4. Implement laws to make certain the Smurf Village will be and always remain Smurfy.

5. Buy me a pair of red pants that also cover my feet. Suggestion: Perhaps the bottoms to a Hazmat suit.

6. A matching red hat.

7. Be given presents every day. NON-EXPLODING PRESENTS!!!

8. Clear a small prairie just outside of the Smurf Village where know it all smurfs are kicked to.

9. A lunch box be made of me, complete with old school Thermos. It has to at least be made of plastic, but preferably metal.

10. Everyone have a Smurfy Day!

As an avid lover of The Smurfs in my youth, I demand UND does the following

1. Build me a house that resembles a giant mushroom.

2. Build similar homes on the block so that I can have my own Smurf Village

3. Bring in a hot Swedish chick neighbor who's stripper name is Smurfette

4. Implement laws to make certain the Smurf Village will be and always remain Smurfy.

5. Buy me a pair of red pants that also cover my feet.  Suggestion: Perhaps the bottoms to a Hazmat suit.

6. A matching red hat.

7. Be given presents every day.  NON-EXPLODING PRESENTS!!!

8. Clear a small prairie just outside of the Smurf Village where know it all smurfs are kicked to.

9.  A lunch box be made of me, complete with old school Thermos.  It has to at least be made of plastic, but preferably metal.

10. Everyone have a Smurfy Day!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My aunt bought me about 30 of the Hardees Smurf glasses at an auction last year.

I should get a refund too, since I am the only one in my immediate family who chose the University of North Dakota over NDSU.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I attended SDSU. I am a Jackrabbit. Imagine my inferiority complex. :D