SiouxSports.com Forum

This Native American loves the Fighting Sioux name

nativeamericanson

As an avid lover of The Smurfs in my youth, I demand UND does the following

1. Build me a house that resembles a giant mushroom.

2. Build similar homes on the block so that I can have my own Smurf Village

3. Bring in a hot Swedish chick neighbor who's stripper name is Smurfette

4. Implement laws to make certain the Smurf Village will be and always remain Smurfy.

5. Buy me a pair of red pants that also cover my feet.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Jackrabbits have large fangs.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tim: I'm warning you!

Robin: What's he do, nibble your bum?

Tim: He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- LOOK AT THE BONES!

Arthur: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!

Bors: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin' right up!

Tim: Look!

Bors: Auurrgggh

Arthur: JESUS CHRIST!

Fla. State vows to keep Seminoles nickname

By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY

Florida State supporters ratcheted up opposition Wednesday to the NCAA's controversial new restrictions on Native American nicknames and references.

Determined to preserve "Seminoles" as a nickname and Chief Osceola as a mascot, FSU's board of trustees authorized an appeal and positioned the school for a legal challenge in the event it's denied. Rep. Tom Feeney, R-Fla., decrying what he called "political correctness run amuck," threatened to take the fight to Congress.

NCAA President Myles Brand defended its stand, approved by the executive committee last week. "I don't see them having second thoughts," he told USA TODAY. "One of the key objectives we had was to generate a conversation of some seriousness about these issues on the individual campuses. And I think in each and every case, we have succeeded."

But Brand pointed to the possibility of modifying the guidelines. FSU, he said, "might want to consider (proposing) an amendment that narrowly addresses their issues. Florida State might say if an institution has well-documented approval by the local Native American tribe or group and that is the tribe or group that they will represent and not all Native Americans, then under those narrow conditions I think the executive committee may decide they want to seriously consider such an amendment."

FSU was one of 18 schools deemed by the NCAA to be using "hostile or abusive" Native American nicknames, mascots or logos. Starting Feb. 1, their teams must cover any offending references on their uniforms at NCAA championships, and schools scheduled to host such events similarly must cover images and references at the site. The 18 schools won't be awarded future championships.

FSU's trustees also authorized the hiring of attorney Barry Richard, who represented President Bush in the 2000 Florida recount. "If we decide that (NCAA) process is unfair and lacks due process," trustee John Thrasher said, "then I think we ought to sue 'em."

Gov. Bush: NCAA insults Seminoles

From staff and wire reports

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush criticized NCAA officials Tuesday for their decision to penalize Florida State University for using an American Indian nickname and symbols.

Bush said the Seminole Tribe of Florida supports FSU's use of its name, and NCAA officials had insulted the school and Seminole Indians by calling the nickname "hostile" and "abusive."

"I think they insult those people by telling them, 'No, no, you're not smart enough to understand this. You should be feeling really horrible about this.' It's ridiculous," Bush said.

An NCAA official previously said other Seminole tribes were opposed to the use of the name. Tuesday, NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said officials believe their decision was made on sound legal ground. "We recognize this is an emotional issue in Florida, and in other parts of the country there are people who feel just as strongly being opposed," Williams said.

The university has until Feb. 1 to make a formal appeal to the NCAA executive committee.

Eighteen schools have an American Indian logo or mascot that will be prohibited by the NCAA during postseason events, starting in February.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Compromise.  How about this.  I propose that since this University is the Fighting Sioux, that EVERY ENROLLED MEMBER OF THE SIOUX NATION, US AND CANADA, THAT IS ELIGIBLE,  IS ENTITLED TO A FREE EDUCATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA, AT ALL LEVELS OF EDUCATION.  ALSO,  EVERY BUILDING ON CAMPUS WILL BE RE-NAMED THAT OF A L/D/N/ CHIEF OR MEMBER OF HISTORICAL IMPORTANCE.    That would be my compromise.  That would be something I would agree on.  I would be for that.  See?  I'm a compromising person.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Mr. GrahamKracker:

A man, not of particularly handsome features or pleasant odiferous qualities, walked into a fine establishment and approached a genuinely attractive and nubile young lady.

"Why Miss," he proffered, "would you be willing to perform the horizontal bop with me for the sum of $1 million US dollars?"

Somewhat amused, she answered back, "Sure honey, I'd sleep with you for that kind of money."

"Well how about for ten bucks we go out back and you can spit shine the old polish?" he inquired.

Indignant, she shot back, "What is this? You think I am some kind of whore?"

"That," he replied, "we just most recently established as fact. Now comes the haggling over price!"

Anyway, I am quite fond of the Nabisco Honey Grahams myself.

Mahalo.

This is purily speculation but bear with me. Suppose 80+ years ago that the folks determining the names had the foresight to see that these names would be lableded as"offensive and abusive" and opted to make the descision to have a nickname such as "Cowboy" or "Rough Rider" or "Calvary" or "Viking" and we would have lived in a society that had no team names associated with the Native American culture. This causes me to ask one small question - Wouldn't people like GK be spouting off about the lack of respect shown towards their culture becuase we were not reconginizing them and in fact discriminating against them beccause there were no such names/mascots?

NCAA President Myles Brand defended its stand, approved by the executive committee last week. "I don't see them having second thoughts," he told USA TODAY. "One of the key objectives we had was to generate a conversation of some seriousness about these issues on the individual campuses. And I think in each and every case, we have succeeded."

But Brand pointed to the possibility of modifying the guidelines. FSU, he said, "might want to consider (proposing) an amendment that narrowly addresses their issues. Florida State might say if an institution has well-documented approval by the local Native American tribe or group and that is the tribe or group that they will represent and not all Native Americans, then under those narrow conditions I think the executive committee may decide they want to seriously consider such an amendment."

So mostly they just wanted to throw gas on the fire and run away?

So what about some sort of compromise?  Some sort of discussion between UND and all the Sioux tribes or at least both the ones in North Dakota? Include the Sioux tribes in on the use of the name, keep the name but drop the Fighting part, drop the name in an official capacity but still use use it for merchendise and a large portion of the money goes to teh tribes, etc.  Something like that so both sides are happy.  You can rarely get exactly what you want.  Life is about compromise.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just drop the "Sioux" part. I'd be happy w/ that to. Hell, I'd even be willing to relocate, not go to school here, and even inform other Natives to stay away from this campus if you removed the Sioux part of the name.

So wait, you want to eliminate the nickname and then not go to the school here? Umm, why? You go to school here when the nickname exists and then leave when it is dropped? :D

What happened to the last compromise you proposed? Either way though, you can make your proposal should the meetings occur.

So wait, you want to eliminate the nickname and then not go to the school here?  Umm, why? You go to school here when the nickname exists and then leave when it is dropped? :D

What happened to the last compromise you proposed? Either way though, you can make your proposal should the meetings occur.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like this is the attitude of the people on this chat board. If the name goes, then the Sioux should go to, right?

This campus needs people like me to remind them of why this name needs to be changed. If not, then you'll have people like Cupcake Misinforming the world about what is actually going on up here. He made it sound like 1/2 of Sioux country was for the name, when in fact there is only one tribe that is neutral on the issue. He forgot to mention all of the other Sioux tribes that are against this. For being the president of this Institution, he sure didin't know any history regarding the use of the name.

So wait, you want to eliminate the nickname and then not go to the school here?  Umm, why? You go to school here when the nickname exists and then leave when it is dropped? :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's rather amusing that some of the biggest critics of the name/logo at UND continue to attend school (thus paying money to the school, usually), teach there (helping to maintain its academic standing) and work there (usually staff pogues who don't have the stones to work elsewhere). By lending their money and expertise to the school, they help perpetuate the "bad" stereotypes of which they complain. Hypocrisy thy name is ... :D

... 1/2 of Sioux country was for the name, when in fact there is only one tribe that is neutral on the issue.  He forgot to mention all of the other Sioux tribes that are against this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Help me here Kracker: are you the Lakota/Nakota/Dakota people? Or the Sioux. As I said earlier, I think your tribes have stopped referring to themselves as Sioux because the name is not historically correct. If you aren't the Sioux, then what the heck are you bellyaching about? And if you're not the Sioux, will you please stop mis-appropriating the name?

It sounds like this is the attitude of the people on this chat board.  If the name goes, then the Sioux should go to, right?

Your leaps of logic and generalizations have lost you all credibility. This isn't the first time you've shown this line of thinking and it and you are dead wrong.

You people really need to come up with better reasons as to why you think you are or are honoring the "SIOUX".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about this one: Because we say we are. What other intention would we possibly have?

Besides, aren't Academics and athletics seperate?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You've never heard of student athletes? With its new policy on logos, mascots and nicknames, the NCAA claims to be acting in the best interest of student athletes. Maybe you should call Myles Brand and tell him to butt out. :D:0

As an avid lover of The Smurfs in my youth, I demand UND does the following

1. Build me a house that resembles a giant mushroom.

2. Build similar homes on the block so that I can have my own Smurf Village

3. Bring in a hot Swedish chick neighbor who's stripper name is Smurfette

4. Implement laws to make certain the Smurf Village will be and always remain Smurfy.

5. Buy me a pair of red pants that also cover my feet.  Suggestion: Perhaps the bottoms to a Hazmat suit.

6. A matching red hat.

7. Be given presents every day.  NON-EXPLODING PRESENTS!!!

8. Clear a small prairie just outside of the Smurf Village where know it all smurfs are kicked to.

9.  A lunch box be made of me, complete with old school Thermos.  It has to at least be made of plastic, but preferably metal.

10. Everyone have a Smurfy Day!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So now Indians are being compared to cartoons? I know you are trying to be funny, but this isn't funny. Typical ignorance on your part. Call us whiners. But this is one battle that will come to a head soon enough.

And by the way, only Papa Smurf had the red hat.

Saying and doing are totally different animals.  Walk your talk.  If you truly were honoring the Sioux, you would respect the wishes of the SIOUX NATION.  Oh, honor, but not that far, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Helping people forget that the Sioux ever existed would be honoring them? How so?