SiouxSports.com Forum

Fall Camp

UND Fan

The new roster has been posted. It looks like all signees reported, and so far two walk-ons have been added. I didn't notice any key defections from the spring roster, either. It's also nice to see a couple of pretty decent ex-players, Craig Riendeau and Ben Olson, are new grad assistants.

The pre-season depth chart was in the Herald today, and although I realize you sometimes have to take these with a grain of salt, I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about the o-line. The projected starters, according to the chart, are sophomore Brett Bauer at left tackle (where's Hoffelt? He's not listed at all), freshman Brian Troen at left guard (I've heard Braegelmann is hurt, anybody know for sure? He's not listed at all, either), senior Tyler Storhaug at center, Kuper at right guard, and senior Matt Buisker at right tackle. If this chart is accurate, and admittedly it may not be, Kuper is the only full-time starter returning.

The pre-season depth chart was in the Herald today, and although I realize you sometimes have to take these with a grain of salt, I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about the o-line. The projected starters, according to the chart, are sophomore Brett Bauer at left tackle (where's Hoffelt? He's not listed at all), freshman Brian Troen at left guard (I've heard Braegelmann is hurt, anybody know for sure? He's not listed at all, either), senior Tyler Storhaug at center, Kuper at right guard, and senior Matt Buisker at right tackle. If this chart is accurate, and admittedly it may not be, Kuper is the only full-time starter returning.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was unable to find the depth chart on the Herald site on the internet. Does anyone know if it is there?

I was unable to find the depth chart on the Herald site on the internet. Does anyone know if it is there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's only available via the print edition. They typically use some sort of graphic for this type of thing which for whatever reason never is included in the online edition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those are the two O-linemen who are hurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that Mitch is out for the season. I am not sure but they were saying something about that. He had surgery or something.

I got quite a chuckle out of the fact that Digger is our backup punter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He almost had to play in 2002 when he was a freshman. At UNC when Bentow had the broken collarbone and Brian Loe was knocked out with a concussion. Him and Jeff came out at halftime and started warming up. I think he was also backup kicker that year. He does that drop kick.

He almost had to play in 2002 when he was a freshman. At UNC when Bentow had the broken collarbone and Brian Loe was knocked out with a concussion. Him and Jeff came out at halftime and started warming up. I think he was also backup kicker that year. He does that drop kick.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It doesn't surprise me to much, in the mid 90's one of UND's starting outside LB's was also the starting punter.

Here's a Herald article focusing primarily on the offensive line situation. Will Kusler may end up moving to the interior line.  Also, due to Drew Thomas likely being out for the year, there is virtually no depth at fullback, meaning true freshman Marcus Tibesar could get a look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know what types on injuries these guys have?

The only one I know of is Braegelman. I heard a herniated disc that required surgery that he hurt lifting weights. I think the surgery was in the last month or so. No reason to think he will be playing anytime soon. I also heard that Thomas is pretty much done for the year, but I have no idea what the injury is.

I suppose we should have seen this lack of offensive line depth coming, considering how many defections we've had by offensive linemen recruits in the past four years. Of the 18 o-line recruits signed between 2001 and 2004, eight lasted two or fewer years in the program:

Chris Kuper--three-year starter; all american

Matt Buisker--part-time starter as junior and projected starter as senior

Brian Osterday--two years and gone

Mike Wacek--one year and gone

Mike Henneman--never reported (died tragically a few years later)

Andy Hoffelt--part-time starter (currently injured)

John Bronson--backup

Cody Bartlett--one year and gone

Darrin Kalash--one year and gone

Jeremy Anderson--never reported

Mitch Braegelmann--started as a freshman (currently injured)

Brett Bauer--projected starter

Andy Soll--backup

Nick Bonnet--one year and gone

Brian Troen--projected starter

Brett Rousseau--backup

Erik Moe--backup

Mike Yilek--one year and gone

It's a good thing that former walk-on Storhaug developed into a starter or else we'd be probably looking at starting three young and fairly experienced players on the line right now.

I understand that the first scrimmage for the fall season was this morning at 9:00am. If any of you GF Sioux fans had a chance to go and watch, what can you report? ie: O-line, QB, etc. Thanks for any info and update you can provide!!!

I for one am not worried about the offensive line. Yeah, I probably should be, but every season someone on the line goes down and the coaching staff always has another player groomed to step in and fill the void. The year that UND won the National Championship it seemed like we had an offensive linemen get up limping to the bench every week.

One year without an injury to the O-line would be nice though.... :glare:

There is a scrimmage in EGF tonight at 5:30. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, but if anyone goes and could maybe post their thoughts, it would be appreciated. Specifically, I'm wondering who looks to be starting on the offensive line besides Kuper, Buisker and Storhaug. A poster on d2football.com indicated that another UND offensive lineman may be out with mono, but he didn't know the player's name. Also, how does new running back Brandon Brady look? Thanks in advance.