SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Football Attendance

UND Fan

Hey, you guys do alright.  Really, good team and everything.  When NDSU moves outside to 35.000 seats you guys could rent out the Fabulous Fargo Dome for your really big games, otherwise you have the perfect stadium. 

Yes, it is me, but I just want to fit in ok?  haahahahaha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

JBB (aka as EdtheFred):

Yeah, like a 35,000 seat outdoor stadium can become a reality for the bison when they still haven't raised enough money for a BSA renovation. BTW, instead of spending time on the Sioux message board, Erv Inniger could really use your help now as he has a $600,000 deficit from last year and has to raise over a $1 mill more for this year just to keep your head above water. :ohmy:

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The FSSN is a great asset.  I'm sure the cost would be too high, but I think it would be great if FSSN/WDAZ televised away conference games.  Perhaps run the livestar struck to at least the closer schools, i.e. St Cloud, Duluth, Augustana. 

More advertising would be great as well.  It is too bad Fighting Sioux sports broadcast rights are owned by KFGO/Clear Channel.  It's nice that games can be heard all over the state, but since the rights to the two major universities in the state are owned by huge Fargo stations, the sioux receive little air time.  NDSU gets alot of talk on WDAY on Primetime Sports.  Sportsnight with Derek Hanson on KFGO rarely mentions the Sioux other than the day after a game, and that is our flagship station.  It would be nice if they devoted more time to our beloved Sioux.  Or put a local sports show on in the evening on 1440 KKXL in Forks, with a host that is actually in Grand Forks.  Or even if 1310 KNOX had the rights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since the home team “owns” broadcast rights, broadcasting away games does become much more expensive, especially with the equipment issues. But broadcasting away games on FSSN should be looked at, even if the production is not the quality that the Alerus or REA could provide. The radio track could even be used for audio, so TV announcers wouldn’t have to make the trip.

For the next media contract, UND should get a statewide TV network (for one or two games) and stick with Clear Channel. Stipulate that the 1/2 hour post-game review TV program with Dale Lennon be broadcast statewide and on FSSN. Have Clear Channel stations broadcast a Sioux radio pre-game show statewide on a Wednesday or Thursday night, maybe even with a call-in session like is done locally.

The same could be done for Sioux hockey (if Hakstol agrees), and once football season is over, substitute two 15 minute sessions on Sioux Men’s and Women’s basketball.

From the pictures on the websites, your stadium looks great with not a bad seat in the house. --Here at Rutgers( and we have had a lot of bad seasons), one marketing move that has worked well has been to have one game early in the year where every child 12 and under gets in free. Even though the college does not get ticket money from the kids, empty seats don't buy soda,hot dogs,caps,shirts,programs etc. A lot of people who do not have any connection with Rutgers have been showing up for these games.---Now if we could just win more than four games a year......

From the pictures on the websites, your stadium looks great with not a bad seat in the house. --Here at Rutgers( and we have had a lot of bad seasons), one marketing move that has worked well has been to have one game early in the year where every child 12 and under gets in free. Even though the college does not get ticket money from the kids, empty seats don't buy soda,hot dogs,caps,shirts,programs etc. A lot of people who do not have any connection with Rutgers have been showing up for these games.---Now if we could just win more than four games a year......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that the resort on lake Bemidji has a Football team?

What does Dan Hammer do when it is the offseason? He would be awesome as the host of a weekly Sioux Football radio show. Or even Tony Stein or Tank. Hammer is the voice but Stein and Macnamara are both hardcore UND fans. I really enjoyed Dan Hammer's radio sports show when 1280 AM in Fargo, then known as the "Ticket", was trying to do local sports shows in the mid-90's. I never hear anything about him when it is not football season.

I dont know, with NDSU football as big as it is there isnt really any place for us to grow.  Maybe NW Minnesota where our hockey rep is ok?  Otherwise, I dont think our football attendance is that good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ndsu football as GOOD as it is?? HELLO!! they're scraping up opponents in a (supposedly) "BIGGER" division because they couldn't beat UND on a regular basis!!

Get a conference at least!!! (the greatWORST doesn't count because it's totally made up and meaningless in the "BIG WORLD of DI-aa) -- maybe you guys can be an independent!!! That's a big road to success!!! OR NOT :ohmy::huh::)

Don't worry about NDSU we'll be just fine with a conference or not.  :huh:  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats why the only other D-IAA independent (outside the schools that left the NCC) is Savannah State. In D-IA, you have Notre Dame, Army, Navy, and Temple (a school that was so bad they were tossed from their conference). Not all that many lining up for the chance to be independent, are there? Heavyweights such as Florida State and Miami have left the ranks of the independents in the last 10 years or so because of the problems associated with being an independent. Consultants that advise schools on the move from D-II to D-I recommend against the move unless the D-II school already has a D-I conference commitement. This, by the way, was included in the report to NDSU. Your athletic people were advised not to jump without a conference. And now, from all I hear, your athletic department is facing a significant financial deficit from last year and still needs to raise significant funds for the coming year.

Yeah, schools are just lining up for the chance to play an independent schedule :ohmy:

I suppose any discussion regarding football attendance needs to include some discussion about ticket prices and how much of a role they play in attendance. UND's price for a single-game (non-season-ticket-holder) adult ticket is generally $18.00 ($20.00 for SCSU). For the sake of comparison, here are the single-game prices for other NCC schools and NDSU:

NDSU: $12-$15

Augie: $12

UMD: $10-$12

MSU-M: $6-$10

UNO: $7-$20

SCSU: $10 (2004 price--not sure if it will be higher in '05)

USD: $10-$15

It appears that most of the other above schools have different prices depending upon whether it's a reserved or general admission ticket, and perhaps based upon the location of the seat, with seats closer to the end zones being lower priced. So, should UND perhaps go to a different ticket pricing policy, perhaps with seats in certain sections being lower priced? How much of a difference would this make in terms of attendance and in terms of overall revenue?

UND92,96,

NDSU's single game tickets are $12 for endzone seats (GA or reserved) and $16 for sideline seats. Homecoming is an extra $2 per seat (except children are always $5/seat).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct--it was a typo on my part. I haven't been to a game at the Fargodome in many years. Do you have to pay for parking, or is there a ticket surcharge?

You are correct--it was a typo on my part. I haven't been to a game at the Fargodome in many years. Do you have to pay for parking, or is there a ticket surcharge?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that this year there will be a 3.00 charge for parking.

I think you would see the biggest impact by advertising more across the rest of the state. There really isn't that big of an advertising campaign in Grand Forks (except maybe radio) let alone on the west side of the state. I know there are many people on the western side of the state who follow UND athletics but don't really attend very often. I think it would be cool to be driving back home and see billboards along US-2 and I-94 in Minot, Bismarck, Dickinson & Williston. I think we would see more out of town fans bring their family over for a game.

Or possibly advertise special ticket packages to out-pf-towners. Maybe something like a friday night BB ticket and a saturday FB ticket package at a reduced rate. Or a free weekend VB pass with a FB ticket purchase. Or even women's hockey. It would help their attendance numbers, introduce the program to new people, and with hockey being so popular across the state it might perk some people's attention enough to draw them to GF for the weekend.

I would just like to see more statewide advertising, bring in more out-of-towners. Or the casual fan who doesn't necessarily have a dedication to a particular school's athletic program. It would not only be good for the athletic department but for the University overall.

I think you  would see the biggest impact by advertising more across the rest of the state. There really isn't that big of an advertising campaign in Grand Forks (except maybe radio) let alone on the west side of the state. I know there are many people on the western side of the state who follow UND athletics but don't really attend very often. I think it would be cool to be driving back home and see billboards along US-2 and I-94 in Minot, Bismarck, Dickinson & Williston. I think we would see more out of town fans bring their family over for a game.

Or possibly advertise special ticket packages to out-pf-towners. Maybe something like a friday night BB ticket and a saturday FB ticket package at a reduced rate. Or a free weekend VB pass with a FB ticket purchase.

I would just like to see more statewide advertising, bring in more out-of-towners. Or the casual fan who doesn't necessarily have a dedication to a particular school's athletic program. It would not only be good for the athletic department but for the University overall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm suprised UND hasn't had more of an advertising campaign in Fargo. I haven't seen a billboard, whereas I've seen at least two or three in Fargo in previous years, and no TV ads yet. No radio ads that I've heard for at least three weeks, either.

I'm suprised UND hasn't had more of an advertising campaign in Fargo. I haven't seen a billboard, whereas I've seen at least two or three in Fargo in previous years, and no TV ads yet. No radio ads that I've heard for at least three weeks, either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far all I have seen or heard lately is the "The Tradition Continues..." radio ads. With only 32 days to go until the first home game you would think that the ads would all be in full swing by now. But I have been doing so much traveling lately that I haven't spent more than a few days in GF at a time.

It's actually interesting that according to the most recent data available, UND football ran a deficit of $169,134, while NDSU football ran a deficit of $243,742. That was for the fiscal year which ended in June of 2004, so it obviously doesn't include this past season.

You missed two other good numbers in that 2004 EADA data. (I figured out your source.)

The "total revenue of all mens sports except BB and FB" at UND was $461,047 (where the same category at NDSU was $372,581).

Combine that positive revenue with the losses in MBB and FB and UND mens athletics were still in the black. (NDSU MBB, FB, else, went red, redder, reddest.)

More interesting is that womens BB at UND was $24,333 and at NDSU was $87,969.

You missed two other good numbers in that 2004 EADA data. (I figured out your source.)

The "total revenue of all mens sports except BB and FB" at UND was $461,047 (where the same category at NDSU was $372,581).

Combine that positive revenue with the losses in MBB and FB and UND mens athletics were still in the black. (NDSU MBB, FB, else, went red, redder, reddest.)

More interesting is that womens BB at UND was $24,333 and at NDSU was $87,969.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You missed another good number, namely "Not allocated by gender Revenue". NDSU had $1,221,504, while UND had $0. That definitely has an effect on the bottom line. (NDSU:$40,406 UND:$406,724)

oh man...UND has SPANKED the Ag College SO MUCH before they fled...no wonder they have a RAWHIDE!

(sing with me...)

TROLLING...TROLLING...TROLLING!

Those Bison keep on TROLLING!

While the SIOUX keep on PLAYING...

for SOMETHING!!

The Bison have no conference...

But WE have confidence..

WE'LL be...in FLORENCE and 'WAUKEE!!

head 'em up...move 'em out...move 'em out...head 'em up

they've got to get ready for NW Shreveport State!! :):ohmy::huh:

We know they are lame...

and they're all quite insane...

Thinking their made-up conference is LEGIT!!

The Sioux will contend....

While the Bison will pretend...

Thanks but we'll take R-E-A-L-I-T-Y!!!!

head 'em up - move 'em out - move 'em out - head 'em up

head 'em up...RAW - WHINE!!!!