SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

??? This is me clapping for your post, you just cant see my hands. (Where does PCM get all those cool emoctions? We need more on here.)

I totally agree with your post, many athletes come here and have proven themselves in another sport, just not the one they have signed for. It's nice to know what else they have excelled in.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Siouxmama, it is interesting to see what other types of athletic talents these hockey players have.

Congrats to Tyler Jundt and Andy Dittus who were selected to play with the Green Bay Gamblers with USHL. MMMMMMM I think they are both from the west!!!! It is nice to see "North Dakota" kids recognized for their skill and hard work regardless of where they are from. Once we get over this east-west debate maybe we can recognize the kids for their talent regardless of where they are from. They all work hard.

What's wrong with the West? When I played for Minot in the early and mid-80's, we competed pretty well with the East and almost won state in 1985. Then, in the later 80's, Minot almost won state again a couple of times....1989 and 1990. Then, in 1992, a west team finally won state. Bismarck and Minot were the best teams in the state that year and had several eventual d-1 players. I don't understand the choking mentality out there. Minot has had good teams. What's going on?

It's not the West has no talent, it's the depth of the teams and overall ability of the team. Individually the West has produced some amazing talent, but with that talent usually comes little to work with becuase of little history and support. Teams from the West are generally weaker than East teams becuase hockey is a team sport, and the East has had the tradition and constant competition level to stay at a higher level as a team. If memory serves, BHS or Century, can't remember which, has easily outnumbered the amount of highly recruited players than anyone but Grand Forks in the East. Individual talent exists, but generally there is a lack of team ability to compete with the East on a regular basis.

It's not the West has no talent, it's the depth of the teams and overall ability of the team. Individually the West has produced some amazing talent, but with that talent usually comes little to work with becuase of little history and support. Teams from the West are generally weaker than East teams becuase hockey is a team sport, and the East has had the tradition and constant competition level to stay at a higher level as a team. If memory serves, BHS or Century, can't remember which, has easily outnumbered the amount of highly recruited players than anyone but Grand Forks in the East. Individual talent exists, but generally there is a lack of team ability to compete with the East on a regular basis.

That would be BHS. Mike Peluso, Mitch Vig, Jeremy Asheim...

Congrats to Tyler Jundt and Andy Dittus who were selected to play with the Green Bay Gamblers with USHL. MMMMMMM I think they are both from the west!!!! It is nice to see "North Dakota" kids recognized for their skill and hard work regardless of where they are from. Once we get over this east-west debate maybe we can recognize the kids for their talent regardless of where they are from. They all work hard.

I know that Tyler and Andy were drafted by Green Bay and that the Gamblers had their tryout camp. Did both players make the 25 man roster? If that is the case then that is great news. Is a roster posted somewhere? Congrats to both players on their post high school success.

What you say is pretty accurate. Minot does well in the West and then goes to state and gets beat, after leading the games, two years in a row by Central. From what I know, Minot out-talented Central but they could not beat them. Minot's State problems have to have something to do with history. I think if Devil's Lake had been at the top of the West this past year they would have beat Central. They don't have the same history of failure (at State) that Minot has and their team was very young.

Just curious here. What are the rivalries like out East? I know that the Bismarck-Minot rivalery is pretty good. Plus, Minot has been beating them. I was in Bismarck for the rabbit fiasco and it was quite fun. The Bismarck rink is nicer than Minot's though because it is smaller and thus you can pack the house. Minot's rink is just too big. ??? I would think that South and Red River are getting to be pretty good rivals. Thanks for any replies.

I'm not sure why I thought of this but I did so here it is. I do not believe Klenow was ever all-state, or even all conference for that matter. I could be wrong so someone tell me if I am. This does not by any stretch mean he may not have deserved it; I am just thinking are some of the high school coaches really missing something on this voting process because from the sounds of it Klenow is out playing a lot of these all conference players at Jr. A tryouts... anyone have thoughts?

yea i have some thoughts... NAHL tryouts have alot of really !@#!$ kids tryout. It is a great source of income for the team!!!!!!

90% of your points this year came agianst whapeton, shanley and Jamestown. That probably why YOU didnt make all conference, and all state!!!!!!!!

yea i have some thoughts... NAHL tryouts have alot of really !@#!$ kids tryout. It is a great source of income for the team!!!!!!

90% of your points this year came agianst whapeton, shanley and Jamestown. That probably why YOU didnt make all conference, and all state!!!!!!!!

We all know that tryouts at all levels can have players of varying abilities and yes a tryout can be and is a revenue source for a team - we already know that. Of course, the bottom line in these tryouts is not only the talent level you are playing against but how well the coaching staff thinks you are playing based on what it takes to succeed in their league. Those that do well in the opinion of the coaches move on to the next tryout.

What you say is pretty accurate. Minot does well in the West and then goes to state and gets beat, after leading the games, two years in a row by Central. From what I know, Minot out-talented Central but they could not beat them. Minot's State problems have to have something to do with history. I think if Devil's Lake had been at the top of the West this past year they would have beat Central. They don't have the same history of failure (at State) that Minot has and their team was very young.

Just curious here. What are the rivalries like out East? I know that the Bismarck-Minot rivalery is pretty good. Plus, Minot has been beating them. I was in Bismarck for the rabbit fiasco and it was quite fun. The Bismarck rink is nicer than Minot's though because it is smaller and thus you can pack the house. Minot's rink is just too big. :sad: I would think that South and Red River are getting to be pretty good rivals. Thanks for any replies.

If you're going by competitiveness then the best rivalry would have to be Red River and South over the past couple of years. But the only rivalry that draws standing room only crowds is the South v. Moorhead games.

If you're going by competitiveness then the best rivalry would have to be Red River and South over the past couple of years. But the only rivalry that draws standing room only crowds is the South v. Moorhead games.

Though I don't doubt what you are saying, what about Red River vs GF Central? They've got to factor in there somewhere.

You mean thats why I didn't make all conference and all state. I could really care less if I was all conference or all state, those labels are very nice, but they don't do anything to help get me on a team. On another note I used to think that NAHL tryouts have a lot of not so talented players try out for their teams. This is not the case. Maybe you can tell me the NAHL tryout you attended in which you gathered that information? Obviously there are a few guys who are maybe in over their head, but the quality of the previous F-M Jets camp was very good. If you were to look at the rosters of the camp you would see how good it really was. Notable players were: Phil Fox, Jesse Echternach, Tom Jensen, Robert Carr, David Larson (all Jets players), Jordan Yindiphol, Andrew Muir, Paul Campbell, Andy Peterson and Keaton Smith many other NAHL players attended the camp. In all the level of competition at any of these camps is going to be higher than your High School hockey game. The players in general are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than your typical high school kid. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule (Weisgarber, Galt, Mihulka, Dittus, Jundt).

You mean thats why I didn't make all conference and all state. I could really care less if I was all conference or all state, those labels are very nice, but they don't do anything to help get me on a team. On another note I used to think that NAHL tryouts have a lot of not so talented players try out for their teams. This is not the case. Maybe you can tell me the NAHL tryout you attended in which you gathered that information? Obviously there are a few guys who are maybe in over their head, but the quality of the previous F-M Jets camp was very good. If you were to look at the rosters of the camp you would see how good it really was. Notable players were: Phil Fox, Jesse Echternach, Tom Jensen, Robert Carr, David Larson (all Jets players), Jordan Yindiphol, Andrew Muir, Paul Campbell, Andy Peterson and Keaton Smith many other NAHL players attended the camp. In all the level of competition at any of these camps is going to be higher than your High School hockey game. The players in general are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than your typical high school kid. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule (Weisgarber, Galt, Mihulka, Dittus, Jundt).

I don't often reply to this forum, however I find it difficult to stomach some of these armchair amature coaching evaluations. When it comes to the NAHL, the quality of players is a very high level. The way the NAHL coaching staff evaluates the tryout camps involves many aspects of each player. I also am an armchair coach as many of you are, but I feel that a very important part of real coaches evaluations is what the potential of improvement does the athlete have and what are there needs to build a team. Rody Selk played for the jets, and will now be playing at Des Moines (USHL), Weisgarber final tryouts are at the end of July, Gault is secured, Mihulka tendered with Jets, Marto (USHL), Jundt and Dittus have been notified that they are on the final 23 man roster. as are many others from the NAHL. Nick K played at many higher level competitions, Exposure, Elite, Chicago, and Selects. I don't believe anyone should minimize the efforts of an athlete because of their accomplishments. Good luck with the following tryout. Take pride in what you have acomplished, many others that didn't wish they could be in your shoes.

I don't often reply to this forum, however I find it difficult to stomach some of these armchair amature coaching evaluations. When it comes to the NAHL, the quality of players is a very high level. The way the NAHL coaching staff evaluates the tryout camps involves many aspects of each player. I also am an armchair coach as many of you are, but I feel that a very important part of real coaches evaluations is what the potential of improvement does the athlete have and what are there needs to build a team. Rody Selk played for the jets, and will now be playing at Des Moines (USHL), Weisgarber final tryouts are at the end of July, Gault is secured, Mihulka tendered with Jets, Marto (USHL), Jundt and Dittus have been notified that they are on the final 23 man roster. as are many others from the NAHL. Nick K played at many higher level competitions, Exposure, Elite, Chicago, and Selects. I don't believe anyone should minimize the efforts of an athlete because of their accomplishments. Good luck with the following tryout. Take pride in what you have acomplished, many others that didn't wish they could be in your shoes.

Thanks Pek.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AN INTRIGUING STORY OF NORTH DAKOTA HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY PLAYERS READ THIS:

Imagine that you have a bantam age hockey team and on that team you have not one, not two, not three, but six players who will be picked in the NHL draft, including three first rounders. In addition, most of the remaining players are going into the USHL. About 80% of those on the team will end up playing D-I hockey.

How many games would that team lose? How good would they be? This team was a reality for several years including 2002. The team was the Minnesota 88s and here is their roster with NHL draft picks listed or USHL/high school team for those I could research: Erik Johnson (#1 U of M), Kyle Okposo (#7 U of M), Peter Mueller (#8 WHL Everett Silvertips), Jamie McBain (#63 U of Wis), Michael Carman (#81 U of M), Ryan Flynn (#176 U of M). In addition, Bret Peterson (Indiana Ice USHL/Elk River HS), Alex Stuart (Sioux City Musketeers), Andy Inderieden (Breck HS, USHL), Tony Mosey (USNDPT) also Matt Erickson, Derek McCallom (Hill Murray), Tony McDonald, Matt Shaughnessy, Robert Tennyson (reported to be playing D-1 football), and Ricky Booker. I have not had time to trace out these last few players.

So what do these kids have to do with North Dakota High School Hockey? A North Dakota Select team played that group at the Bloomington Ice Gardens in 2002 as part of the Minnesota Meltdown April Tournament. The ND team had forwards Mario Lamoureux, Justin Connell, Sam Wedin, Thomas Campbell, Nick Klenow, Nathan Stremick, Drew Fluer, Ross Monson, Grant Larson and defensemen: Andy Petersen, Alan Spriggs, Ian Grande, Trevor Anderson, Clark Dingeman and Paul Weisgarber (Paul played a lot of d that year as well as some forward). Goalies were Michel Hillman and Justin Welk and Mark Bry and Milo Johnson were the coaches.

It was the second game of the day for the North Dakota players and the Minnesota 88s were fresh. After one period the score was 0-0 and the Minnesota team was frustrated. In the second period Peter Mueller (WHL rookie of the year this season) scored unassisted and U of Mn recruit Ryan Flynn added another with assists from future Gopher recruits Kyle Okposo and Michael Carman. The period ended with Minnesota up 2-0 and the frustration level was even higher. The 88s were used to blowing people out early and the North Dakota team was making them look bad. Their coach was so frustrated that he rolled 2 lines in the third period to try and blow the game open. Imagine a team with six future NHL draft picks (3 of them first rounders) and the coach rolls 2 lines. The refs cooperated as well as North Dakota was given 4 penalties in the 3rd with none for Minnesota. The strategy paid off as the relentless pressure from some of the best players in North America (or actually in the world if we look at their eventual draft numbers) led to 5 more goals and a 7-0 victory - the closest game in the tournament by far for the 88s. Peter Mueller ended the game with a hat trick, Kyle Okposo had 2 goals and an assist, Erik Johnson had a goal.

Later that spring the North Dakota team made two trips to Winnipeg with the first resulting in a 7 game string of wins to take the Great Flood AAA tournament. Several weeks later the team played Jonathon Toewes' Winnipeg Junior Jets to a 9-9 tie. Towes did not play as he was in Toronto with an all star team at Prospects. The AAA Junior Jets team that was tied by North Dakota had nearly every single player drafted into the WHL.

The main point here is that it is quite interesting when you look back and see a high school age youth team that has six NHL draft picks on it any your team played them tough for 2 periods - and actually - considering the way the game was played North Dakota played them tough to the final buzzer.

This same group of kids later went to Orlando in 2003 and played for the Tier II USA Hockey National Bantam Championship losing 4-3 in the final.

Lets keep celebrating the quality of North Dakota hockey and hope we can keep some of these traditions going.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AN INTRIGUING STORY OF NORTH DAKOTA HIGH SCHOOL HOCKEY PLAYERS READ THIS:

Imagine that you have a bantam age hockey team and on that team you have not one, not two, not three, but six players who will be picked in the NHL draft, including three first rounders. In addition, most of the remaining players are going into the USHL. About 80% of those on the team will end up playing D-I hockey.

How many games would that team lose? How good would they be? This team was a reality for several years including 2002. The team was the Minnesota 88s and here is their roster with NHL draft picks listed or USHL/high school team for those I could research: Erik Johnson (#1 U of M), Kyle Okpose (#7 U of M), Peter Mueller (#8 WHL Everett Silvertips), Jamie McBain (#63 U of Wis), Michael Carman (#81 U of M), Ryan Flynn (#176 U of M). In addition, Bret Peterson (Indiana Ice USHL/Elk River HS), Alex Stuart (Sioux City Musketeers), Andy Inderieden (Breck HS, USHL), Tony Mosey (USNDPT) also Matt Erickson, Derek McCallom (Hill Murray), Tony McDonald, Matt Shaughnessy, Robert Tennyson (reported to be playing D-1 football), and Ricky Booker. I have not had time to trace out these last few players.

So what do these kids have to do with North Dakota High School Hockey? A North Dakota Select team played that group at the Bloomington Ice Gardens in 2002 as part of the Minnesota Meltdown April Tournament. The ND team had forwards Mario Lamoureux, Justin Connell, Sam Wedin, Thomas Campbell, Nick Klenow, Nathan Stremick, Drew Fluer, Ross Monson, Grant Larson and defensemen: Andy Petersen, Alan Spriggs, Ian Grande, Trevor Anderson, Clark Dingeman and Paul Weisgarber (Paul played a lot of d that year as well as some forward). Goalies were Michel Hillman and Justin Welk and Mark Bry and Milo Johnson were the coaches.

It was the second game of the day for the North Dakota players and the Minnesota 88s were fresh. After one period the score was 0-0 and the Minnesota team was frustrated. In the second period Peter Mueller (WHL rookie of the year this season) scored unassisted and U of Mn recruit Ryan Flynn added another with assists from future Gopher recruits Kyle Okposo and Michael Carman. The period ended with Minnesota up 2-0 and the frustration level was even higher. The 88s were used to blowing people out early and the North Dakota team was making them look bad. Their coach was so frustrated that he rolled 2 lines in the third period to try and blow the game open. Imagine a team with six future NHL draft picks (3 of them first rounders) and the coach rolls 2 lines. The refs cooperated as well as North Dakota was given 4 penalties in the 3rd with none for Minnesota. The strategy paid off as the relentless pressure from some of the best players in North America (or actually in the world if we look at their eventual draft numbers) led to 5 more goals and a 7-0 victory - the closest game in the tournament by far for the 88s. Peter Mueller ended the game with a hat trick, Kyle Okposo had 2 goals and an assist, Erik Johnson had a goal.

Later that spring the North Dakota team made two trips to Winnipeg with the first resulting in a 7 game string of wins to take the Great Flood AAA tournament. Several weeks later the team played Jonathon Toewes' Winnipeg Junior Jets to a 9-9 tie. Towes did not play as he was in Toronto with an all star team at Prospects. The AAA Junior Jets team that was tied by North Dakota had nearly every single player drafted into the WHL.

The main point here is that it is quite interesting when you look back and see a high school age youth team that has six NHL draft picks on it any your team played them tough for 2 periods - and actually - considering the way the game was played North Dakota played them tough to the final buzzer.

This same group of kids later went to Orlando in 2003 and played for the Tier II USA Hockey National Bantam Championship losing 4-3 in the final.

Lets keep celebrating the quality of North Dakota hockey and hope we can keep some of these traditions going.

for all you know the minnesota team was coming off a long night filled with binge drinking and illicit drug usage. 2-1 or 3-2 that story may be warranted, but because team mn didnt show up until the 3rd period and still won by a touchdown doesnt give much credibility to your story.

for all you know the minnesota team was coming off a long night filled with binge drinking and illicit drug usage. 2-1 or 3-2 that story may be warranted, but because team mn didnt show up until the 3rd period and still won by a touchdown doesnt give much credibility to your story.

I think it is a great story. Top Shelf your first sentence is nonsense - bantams drinking and using drugs - check that list of kids. Hopefully you are joking but your comment adds no substance or facts but detracts from a good group of kids. To credibly indicate that the Minnesota team did not show up - you would need some evidence to support that statement and unless you were there you have no credibility but plenty of unsupported theory to minimize an accomplishment.

Your jealous cause your too !@#!$ to make a select team.

We are all entitled to our opinions and you are entitled to yours. I do think however that what you mean is that you are not impressed by the performance of the North Dakota kids. The word "credibility" that you use means "capable of being believed" and if that is what you really mean all I can say is that every detail of the game and the players is true. Your statement that if the score was 2-1 or 3-2 the game story "may be warranted" as you say, is absurd. So if it was not closer than one goal the game is not warranted - come on.

I just think that it was a great effort as I saw the game. It seems quite interesting years later now that six of those kids were drafted into the NHL and others will play Juniors and D-1 hockey. There are two interesting facts here - the loaded Minnesota team that I would venture to say has never been matched ever by an in-state team anywhere in the US. That a group of ND kids kept the game close that long is notable. Remember Mueller was rookie of the year in the WHL this season and Okposo in the USHL not to mention the others.

For all you know the minnesota team was coming off a long night filled with binge drinking and illicit drug usage.
Despite being hypothetical, this sort of accusation is dangerous to make and should be avoided.

Your jealous cause your too !@#!$ to make a select team.
This sort of personal attack is unacceptable, and please keep the language PG.

We are all entitled to our opinions and you are entitled to yours. I do think however that what you mean is that you are not impressed by the performance of the North Dakota kids. The word "credibility" that you use means "capable of being believed" and if that is what you really mean all I can say is that every detail of the game and the players is true. Your statement that if the score was 2-1 or 3-2 the game story "may be warranted" as you say, is absurd. So if it was not closer than one goal the game is not warranted - come on.

I just think that it was a great effort as I saw the game. It seems quite interesting years later now that six of those kids were drafted into the NHL and others will play Juniors and D-1 hockey. There are two interesting facts here - the loaded Minnesota team that I would venture to say has never been matched ever by an in-state team anywhere in the US. That a group of ND kids kept the game close that long is notable. Remember Mueller was rookie of the year in the WHL this season and Okposo in the USHL not to mention the others.

To say the loaded MN team never was matched by an in-state team anywhere in the US is false. Maybe a ND team, but I played for the Minnesota Blades (the Minnesota 88's our biggest rival) we tied them 2-2. The team with all the superstars was called the Minnesota 88's (who defected from the Blades to form their own team).