SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

I see the high school hockey post has come back to life. Somewhat of an absurd direction but just the same some activity. This is a big month in the USHL and NAHL as most teams are ramping up with their tryouts - should be interesting to see how it breaks out. If anyone has any info on past tryouts (Fairbanks had one in the twin cities in May as did one of the Texas Teams) please share what you know. Cedar Rapids started their invite only tryout today and Des Moines has their open/futures tryout starting on Friday June 2nd. Tri-city aslo has an invite tryout in Bloomington tomorrow. On the 7th Sioux City starts a tryout and Des Moines has their invite only starting the 8th. Waterloo begins an open tryout June 9th and there will be a number of North Dakota players at that event (Weisgarber, Klein, etc). The 16th Green Bay has an invite only and I assume Andy Dittus and Tyler Jundt will be there as they were drafted by Green Bay. The F/M Jets have an open tryout starting Thursday, June 8th and there should be a lot of ND players there including Team North Dakota players Paul Campbell, Nick Klenow, and Andy Petersen. I would expect that Marc Mihulka, who was tendered by the Jets, would be there as well unless he has a bye until their final camp in July. If there is other info out there please share.

Marc Mihulka has chosen to forego the open tryout in fargo, i also believe he will be trying out for green bay...on another note John Greciar from Central will also be attending the Fargo open tryout this weekend

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been following this thread for awhile and have found it to be both informative and amusing. This site is a great deal better than the ezboard site-- the ND site never did take off. I am posting to inform that the Pepsi cup in fargo has the ND Selects 89 and the Dakota Predators in their tourney this weekend (6/9-11). Should be some fun hockey.

Marc Mihulka has chosen to forego the open tryout in fargo, i also believe he will be trying out for green bay...on another note John Greciar from Central will also be attending the Fargo open tryout this weekend

Good luck to Marc with his tryouts - he should have a lot of success in juniors. John Greciar had a great tourney at the Chicago Showcase and should have a good shot at juniors as well.

I have been following this thread for awhile and have found it to be both informative and amusing. This site is a great deal better than the ezboard site-- the ND site never did take off. I am posting to inform that the Pepsi cup in fargo has the ND Selects 89 and the Dakota Predators in their tourney this weekend (6/9-11). Should be some fun hockey.

The 1990 Minnkota Stars are also in the tourney. They should have a few good players as well.

The following North Dakota High School Hockey players were at the F/M Jets tryout this past thursday through Sunday at the Super Rink in Blaine: Andy Petersen, Paul Campbell, Greg Slominski, John Greicar, Nick Klenow, Brad Benke, and Jake Delisle. Other "locals" include Tony Dorn of Theif River Falls, Josh Fandrich, Isaac Vatnsdal, and Shawn Goos of Fergus Falls, Conner Useldinger of East Grand Forks, and Derek Kaiser of Crookston.

The following North Dakota High School Hockey players were at the F/M Jets tryout this past thursday through Sunday at the Super Rink in Blaine: Andy Petersen, Paul Campbell, Greg Slominski, John Greicar, Nick Klenow, Brad Benke, and Jake Delisle. Other "locals" include Tony Dorn of Theif River Falls, Josh Fandrich, Isaac Vatnsdal, and Shawn Goos of Fergus Falls, Conner Useldinger of East Grand Forks, and Derek Kaiser of Crookston.

who made the cut?

who made the cut?

The only player I have heard making it to the final camp is Nick Klenow. He recently met with the FM Jets coaching staff and they told him providing the players leave they expect to leave they can gaurentee him a spot on the roster. If players do not leave he will have to earn his spot at the final camp in July. Andy Peterson was not invited back to the camp, and neither was Paul Campbell.

The only player I have heard making it to the final camp is Nick Klenow. He recently met with the FM Jets coaching staff and they told him providing the players leave they expect to leave they can gaurentee him a spot on the roster. If players do not leave he will have to earn his spot at the final camp in July. Andy Peterson was not invited back to the camp, and neither was Paul Campbell.

Something doesnt add up there... paul campbell would seem to be a much stronger player.

I would agree, there were alot of good goaltenders this year. But the two goalies that stood out in my mind were Sean Deichert of Fargo South and Michael Hillman of Bismarck high. Deichert for his constant good play which can obviously be seen when looking at his statistics and Hillman for his great performances throughout the year( although i only saw his game at Fargo South and 2 of 3 games at state) and his also above par stats. Rosendahl was also up there as i watched him play 5 or 6 times as well as less mentioned Justin Welk. I beleive Tony Kringstad was "alright" throughout the year with a couple of good if not great games but i do not approve of his antics, regardless he still played very well throughout the year . The only difference between the top two goalies in the state this year is that Deichert played on a great team and Hillman did not . But i beleive that if Deichert were to play for a team like BHS he would also have some memorable games where if Hillman played for FSH he probably would have had much better statistics. I think that at the state tournament everything was as it should have been except for the Minot Central game.I am happy with the fact the South won it all and were very deserving of its title victory. Although i think Central would have had a better shot if Shane were in net against South in the semis. Either way a great year for high school hockey! and an Even Better year for Fargo Hockey!!!

GO BRUINS!!

What antics are you talking about regarding Kringstad? send me a message.

I do not know of any web posting for the F/M Jets that would list all of those invited back for the final tryout. Paul Campbell did decide not to continue with the tryout. He is a strong player and looked good. Brad Benke was injured at the tryout. Jon Greicar looked good in the tryout as he did at the Chicago Showcase. I did not know that he was injured. Andy Petersen looked good as well but apparently did not make the invite list to the final tryout. In my opinion he should be playing Junior A hockey. Nick Klenow was invited back to the final Jets tryout. There may be some others - have to wait and see if someone has info on the others. Has anyone heard about Slominski or Delisle? Have not had a chance to talk to them. Two tendered players were at the Jets camp - Andrew Muir and Jordan Yindiphol.

I do not know of any web posting for the F/M Jets that would list all of those invited back for the final tryout. Paul Campbell did decide not to continue with the tryout. He is a strong player and looked good. Brad Benke was injured at the tryout. Jon Greicar looked good in the tryout as he did at the Chicago Showcase. I did not know that he was injured. Andy Petersen looked good as well but apparently did not make the invite list to the final tryout. In my opinion he should be playing Junior A hockey. Nick Klenow was invited back to the final Jets tryout. There may be some others - have to wait and see if someone has info on the others. Has anyone heard about Slominski or Delisle? Have not had a chance to talk to them. Two tendered players were at the Jets camp - Andrew Muir and Jordan Yindiphol.

After speaking with my son, he told me he heard Klenow say he was able to play better at the tryout than he did during his high school career. He had a point a game at the tryout. Maybe that will clear up some confusion because I'm sure most of us were just going on high school performance.

After speaking with my son, he told me he heard Klenow say he was able to play better at the tryout than he did during his high school career. He had a point a game at the tryout. Maybe that will clear up some confusion because I'm sure most of us were just going on high school performance.

Can't wait to watch that kid next year for the jets- should be quite a treat. Does anyone know if he's committed anywhere yet?

Blanston you are getting your leagues mixed up. Typically, in the Tier I USHL you will find players with college offers before they begin their Junior A careers - in Tier II - such as the NAHL - I am not aware of such cases. Then again, I am sure you are probably already aware of that as this season I don't believe there is a single North Dakota high school player who has yet committed to a D-I school. There are some who have had D-III "offers/contact" though.

Blanston you are getting your leagues mixed up. Typically, in the Tier I USHL you will find players with college offers before they begin their Junior A careers - in Tier II - such as the NAHL - I am not aware of such cases. Then again, I am sure you are probably already aware of that as this season I don't believe there is a single North Dakota high school player who has yet committed to a D-I school. There are some who have had D-III "offers/contact" though.

I'm not sure why I thought of this but I did so here it is. I do not believe Klenow was ever all-state, or even all conference for that matter. I could be wrong so someone tell me if I am. This does not by any stretch mean he may not have deserved it; I am just thinking are some of the high school coaches really missing something on this voting process because from the sounds of it Klenow is out playing a lot of these all conference players at Jr. A tryouts... anyone have thoughts?

I'm not sure why I thought of this but I did so here it is. I do not believe Klenow was ever all-state, or even all conference for that matter. I could be wrong so someone tell me if I am. This does not by any stretch mean he may not have deserved it; I am just thinking are some of the high school coaches really missing something on this voting process because from the sounds of it Klenow is out playing a lot of these all conference players at Jr. A tryouts... anyone have thoughts?

He played on a crappy team that couldn't score and only had 1 line.

Don't be hung on on All-State selections. It is picked by the media, most of whom never saw the kids play and/or know little about hockey. All they do is look at the point totals, which are misleading. Point totals do not tell you how good a kid is, particularly if they are on a very good team like South where a kid will have inflated numbers if they are on the power play, play with stars like Paul Weisgarber or Erick Galt, etc. All conference is picked by the coaches, so it is a lot more legitimate. However, Nick Klenow is a very good player who probably did not have the numbers because his team was not as good and played a more defensive style of hockey. He played on a number of Elite teams and select teams, so he has some talent.

Don't be hung on on All-State selections. It is picked by the media, most of whom never saw the kids play and/or know little about hockey. All they do is look at the point totals, which are misleading. Point totals do not tell you how good a kid is, particularly if they are on a very good team like South where a kid will have inflated numbers if they are on the power play, play with stars like Paul Weisgarber or Erick Galt, etc. All conference is picked by the coaches, so it is a lot more legitimate. However, Nick Klenow is a very good player who probably did not have the numbers because his team was not as good and played a more defensive style of hockey. He played on a number of Elite teams and select teams, so he has some talent.

That answers a lot of my questions. Amazing to think the kid only had mid twenties in points and he had a point a game in the tryout. I knew he was better than what he showed in high school but, thats impressive.

Who all will play d111 next year from North Dakota?

I do not know about all of the players but here is what I have heard. Clark Dingeman, defenseman from Bismarck High, will play hockey and baseball for the University of Minnesota at Crookston. Adam Campbell of South has been reported to possibly play for Concordia. Nick Klenow, if he does not play juniors, would play soccer and hockey at Concordia or Hamline. Andy Petersen visited St. Olaf and they are interested in him for their hockey program although he appears to be headed to UND if he does not make a junior A team. There are others out there that probably have plans as well. There are about 9-10 North Dakota senior players who have not been drafted or tendered (Delisle, Slominski, Klenow, Greicar, Petersen, Benke, Kringstad, Harrie, and at one time Paul Campbell) trying to make junior teams and some of them may end up in D-III if they don't get picked up for juniors. Other graduating senior players include those drafted, tendered or protected by USHL and NAHL teams: Weisgarber, Galt, Dittus, Jundt, and Mihulka. I apologize if I have inadvertently left anyone out of that list.

He played on a crappy team that couldn't score and only had 1 line.

That is basically a good assessment of his team this year. The year before North had a much better team. After the 04-05 season Klenow was the sixth leading scorer returning in the state (35 points) behind Paul Campbell (52), Tom Campbell (45), Andy Dittus (42), Paul Moch (39), and Marc Mihulka (36). In addition, all of those players were in more games according to Center Ice magazine. Paul Moch from Mandan fell out of the picture in 05-06 as Mandan had a poor team as well. The remaining top 25 scorers for 04-05 who returned include Paul Weisgarber (35), Erick Galt (34), Adam Campbell ((34), Brett Ritchie (33), Tyler Klein (30) and Zach Miller (30). Klein and Ritchie also had poor years as the former was also at North and the latter played for a very weak Jamestown team. The team you play for means a lot, especially in the East Region. Regarding All-State, Klenow made that team for soccer. I think there are a number of North Dakota high school hockey players who ended up under-rated because of the teams that they played on.

That is basically a good assessment of his team this year. The year before North had a much better team. After the 04-05 season Klenow was the sixth leading scorer returning in the state (35 points) behind Paul Campbell (52), Tom Campbell (45), Andy Dittus (42), Paul Moch (39), and Marc Mihulka (36). In addition, all of those players were in more games according to Center Ice magazine. Paul Moch from Mandan fell out of the picture in 05-06 as Mandan had a poor team as well. The remaining top 25 scorers for 04-05 who returned include Paul Weisgarber (35), Erick Galt (34), Adam Campbell ((34), Brett Ritchie (33), Tyler Klein (30) and Zach Miller (30). Klein and Ritchie also had poor years as the former was also at North and the latter played for a very weak Jamestown team. The team you play for means a lot, especially in the East Region. Regarding All-State, Klenow made that team for soccer. I think there are a number of North Dakota high school hockey players who ended up under-rated because of the teams that they played on.

When did soccer come into the picture? I thought this was a hockey board.

Siouxsports is a diversified board that includes many different topics and many different sports. If you review the board listings you will see football, basketball, and other sports. The lead thread today has a link to GPA info on Sioux players in every single sport at the University - tennis, golf, hockey, and even - soccer. In the UND Community section you will find diverse topics and different sports discussed from time to time. The thread we are currently in is entitled 2005-06 ND High School Hockey and there have been references to sports that other hockey players have done - e.g. Marto for football and baseball, Dingeman above for baseball, and as I noted - Klenow for soccer. A lot of readers find additional info on some of these athletes to be of great interest. When Sioux recruit Mike Forney of Thief River Falls is discussed, in other threads on this board, as a great quarterback with multiple football D-I contacts people don't come out saying, hey this is a hockey board - knock it off - it is not right to say that here.

Lighten up and open yourself up to a little more info about some of these players if it is given.