SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

I certainly agree that great players come from both ends of the state but, the East is a stronger conference than the West. Just look at how many championships the West has won... Andy Dittus is a very, very good foward. He definitly deserved that award. He absolutly undressed UND recruit Derek LaPointe in the teams first of two meetings.

Specifics, how did you do in the showcase?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

Just a quick note of facts concerning this years team. Team North Dakota made history serveral different ways. 1st it was the highest finish ever only falling in sudden death overtime, 2nd forward Andy Dittus recieved the "Best Forward of the Tournament" award. I think no other participant of TND has ever achieved.

There is so much nonesense talk about east being better that west that I think this year was a good testiment that there are skill players on both sides of the state and North Dakota has and is continuing to make its mark in the national hockey ranks as a state that can produce some very talented players.

TND deserves all the kudos it can get.

One other quick note, Kudos to the TND coaching staff. They changed the team from playing as individuals into a team that was unified and dominating.

Job well done Coaches

Specifics, how did you do in the showcase?

We took 2nd. The best a North Dakota team has ever done, and we were within one goal of wining the whole thing. We did very well. Any accomplishment I had is irrelevent because the only thing that matters is the team was a success. And any success I had was a direct result of the hardwork of the team. Thanks Team ND.

The first pick in the USHL draft for the Lincoln Stars was Matt Bartkowski. Bartkowski played for the Pittsburg team that was defeated by Team North Dakota in the Chicago Showcase.

Here is a clip from the Lincoln Stars website on him. He was a very impressive, strong, smooth skating d-man with his only fault being a check from behind on a Team ND forward that earned him a game ejection.

The Lincoln Stars used their first round pick (10th overall) in the annual USHL entry draft to select Matt Bartkowski from the Pittsburgh Predators. Bartkowski , 6-1 190lbs, tallied 25 points in 49 games with a plus/minus rating of +47. He was named Mr. Hockey for the State of Pennsylvania.

North Dakota High School hockey players selected in the 2006 USHL draft today include Andy Dittus in the 5th round #6 pick by the Green Bay Gamblers and also in the 8th round Tyler Jundt the #4 pick of the round also by Green Bay, and then in the 10th round Paul Weisgarber as the #2 pick of the round by the Waterloo Blackhawks.

It baffles me how Paul was drafted later than the other ND boys. Nothing agains them, they are also good players, but i think Weisgarber is better.

Agreed, but players don't always get selected in order of ability. For example, Michael Forney was drafted right before Andy Dittus. Does that mean Forney is a 5th round player? No way. It means teams may have expected him to go to UND next year and do not want to put alot of stock in him and maybe waste a draft pick. There could be similar issues with Weisgarber, however obviously not with him leaving to a D-1 school as of right now. What I'm saying is there could be underlying issues as to why these players were selected where they were. In any case, congratuations to Paul, Andy, and Tyler for being recognized as elite players in the country. Good luck to you.

There are 129 pages of ND High School Hockey. Start a new thread. Remember it is second to Minnesota High School hockey!

I think the following sums you up perfectly... irresponsible, brainless, dazed, deficient, dense, dim, dodo, doltish, dopy, dotterel, dull, dumb, dummy, foolish, futile, gullible, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, ill-advised, imbecilic, inane, indiscreet, insensate, irrelevant, irresponsible, laughable, loser, ludicrous, meaningless, mindless, moronic, naive, nonsensical, obtuse, pointless, puerile, rash, senseless, short-sighted, simple, simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupefied, thick, thickheaded, trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, witless apathetic, bum, careless, comatose, dallying, dilatory, drowsy, dull, flagging, heavy-footed, idle, inattentive, indifferent, indolent, inert, lackadaisical, laggard, lagging, languid, languorous, lethargic, lifeless, loafing, neglectful, passive, procrastinating, remiss, sack artist, shiftless, slack, sleepy, slothful, slow, slow-moving, snoozy, somnolent, supine, tardy, tired, torpid, trifling, unconcerned, unenergetic, unindustrious, unpersevering, unready, wear. Congrats!!!!

I think the following sums you up perfectly... irresponsible, brainless, dazed, deficient, dense, dim, dodo, doltish, dopy, dotterel, dull, dumb, dummy, foolish, futile, gullible, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, ill-advised, imbecilic, inane, indiscreet, insensate, irrelevant, irresponsible, laughable, loser, ludicrous, meaningless, mindless, moronic, naive, nonsensical, obtuse, pointless, puerile, rash, senseless, short-sighted, simple, simple-minded, slow, sluggish, stolid, stupefied, thick, thickheaded, trivial, unintelligent, unthinking, witless apathetic, bum, careless, comatose, dallying, dilatory, drowsy, dull, flagging, heavy-footed, idle, inattentive, indifferent, indolent, inert, lackadaisical, laggard, lagging, languid, languorous, lethargic, lifeless, loafing, neglectful, passive, procrastinating, remiss, sack artist, shiftless, slack, sleepy, slothful, slow, slow-moving, snoozy, somnolent, supine, tardy, tired, torpid, trifling, unconcerned, unenergetic, unindustrious, unpersevering, unready, wear. Congrats!!!!

Get a life???

My brother just called me from GF....I heard the 90's (16 year olds) team ND got beat by the 91 (15 year olds) Team ND in Minot last weakend 3-1. And the 90's had Simonson (GFC), Will Aide (Bismarck), Ryan Mohagen (GPR), Tyler Swanson (WF) Pat Arnason (RR) and Grant Narveson (North). Any reports?

My brother just called me from GF....I heard the 90's (16 year olds) team ND got beat by the 91 (15 year olds) Team ND in Minot last weakend 3-1. And the 90's had Simonson (GFC), Will Aide (Bismarck), Ryan Mohagen (GPR), Tyler Swanson (WF) Pat Arnason (RR) and Grant Narveson (North). Any reports?

I cannot report sorry, but the teams are called selects until the senior year, when they are then called Team North Dakota. Just so there is no confusion.

It baffles me how Paul was drafted later than the other ND boys. Nothing agains them, they are also good players, but i think Weisgarber is better.

The bottom line is that players are drafted and recruited based much more upon size and potential than they are upon ability. That is not intended as any type of a negative towards Andy Dittus or Tyler Jundt who are both excellent players and deserve the recognition that they are receiving. I expect both of them to do very well at the next level. Personally, I think Paul is better than Jordan Willert, but he is not 6'4" 220lbs and have a cannon for a shot. However, Paul is not very big and is noted by scouts and players to have average speed. Scouts and coaches focus more upon size, meaning that it is an uphill battle for anyone who is smaller. I agree with you that Paul Weisgarber is very talented, and given the opportunity, would excel in the USHL or even beyond. The difficulty is getting that opportunity. Yes, there are the Ryan Duncans and David Hoogsteens of the world, but what David Hoogsteen had to go through to get an opportunity emphasizes the problem with being a smaller player in what is becoming a big man's game. David Hoogsteen was not heavily recruited by the USHL, but was the leading scorer in the USHL, averaging almost 2 points per game. That earned him exactly one scholarship offer to UND at a time that, fortunately for David, the Sioux were down and rebuilding with Dean Blais. The only reason is because he was 5'7" and less than 140 lbs. He proved that he could play at every level growing up, but kept having to prove himself because of his size. Unfortunately for players like Paul Weisgarber and others, it is difficult to get an opportunity. This is true in most sports--look at Greg Eslinger getting drafted in the 6th round because he is perceived to be too small and not strong enough for the pro game.

The bottom line is that players are drafted and recruited based much more upon size and potential than they are upon ability. That is not intended as any type of a negative towards Andy Dittus or Tyler Jundt who are both excellent players and deserve the recognition that they are receiving. I expect both of them to do very well at the next level. Personally, I think Paul is better than Jordan Willert, but he is not 6'4" 220lbs and have a cannon for a shot. However, Paul is not very big and is noted by scouts and players to have average speed. Scouts and coaches focus more upon size, meaning that it is an uphill battle for anyone who is smaller. I agree with you that Paul Weisgarber is very talented, and given the opportunity, would excel in the USHL or even beyond. The difficulty is getting that opportunity. Yes, there are the Ryan Duncans and David Hoogsteens of the world, but what David Hoogsteen had to go through to get an opportunity emphasizes the problem with being a smaller player in what is becoming a big man's game. David Hoogsteen was not heavily recruited by the USHL, but was the leading scorer in the USHL, averaging almost 2 points per game. That earned him exactly one scholarship offer to UND at a time that, fortunately for David, the Sioux were down and rebuilding with Dean Blais. The only reason is because he was 5'7" and less than 140 lbs. He proved that he could play at every level growing up, but kept having to prove himself because of his size. Unfortunately for players like Paul Weisgarber and others, it is difficult to get an opportunity. This is true in most sports--look at Greg Eslinger getting drafted in the 6th round because he is perceived to be too small and not strong enough for the pro game.

Agreed. Luckily the NHL has changed the style of it's game and it is more favorable to the smaller players than it had been in previous years. That could result in more attention being paid to these smaller skill players than the big bruisers. It was quoted in one book that Americans would rather "train players to be big, strong, imposing players that can clutch, grab, and impede the progress of the oppenent; rather than spend the time to teach him how to stickhandle, skate, and pass." Interesting I thought.

I cannot report sorry, but the teams are called selects until the senior year, when they are then called Team North Dakota. Just so there is no confusion.

Of the 45 minutes were played the 90 select team was in the box 41 of the minutes they got hosed by the referees. Also early in the first period the 90s got a goal disallower because the ref was out of position.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Lives to play06, get it together. Even if someone told you that, anyone with an IQ higher than 6 would be smart enough to figure out it that it is far from the truth. I could find at least five players in the EDC that I would take over him, let alone the world. Its comments like that, that have no reason to be on here; use your head.

Is there any truth to the rumer of tyler klein being a potential first round draft pick (nhl) next year?

With statements like that it seems as though one would come to the conclusion that Tyler Klein believes that he is a far superior player to those around him, and has an arrogance about himself. That is hardly the truth and statements like that are uncalled for. Statements like that are made by people/players who believe that in some sense are better than, or feel they have the power over a person to make sarcastic statements about the abilities you believe that they do not have. When all is said and done I'm sure Tyler can't wait to prove you wrong.

Wow Lives to play06, get it together. Even if someone told you that, anyone with an IQ higher than 6 would be smart enough to figure out it that it is far from the truth. I could find at least five players in the EDC that I would take over him, let alone the world. Its comments like that, that have no reason to be on here; use your head.

So you are saying that asking for clarification on the truth of a rumor isn't using your head? ;)

Attacking a person for asking a simple question, as unbelievable as it may be, is simply wrong. I certainly hope junior24, that you simply hit "Submit" before rereading this quoted post and saying it the way you did was simply poor judgement. As you assert: use your head.

So you are saying that asking for clarification on the truth of a rumor isn't using your head? ;)

Attacking a person for asking a simple question, as unbelievable as it may be, is simply wrong. I certainly hope junior24, that you simply hit "Submit" before rereading this quoted post and saying it the way you did was simply poor judgement. As you assert: use your head.

Wow. You have talked in previous post as if you have some knowledge of high school hockey in North Dakota. If you had knowledge as you made it sound you would know that being drafted in the NHL is pretty far fetched, and none the less in the first round.

Yours Truely,

"Use your Head"

Wow. You have talked in previous post as if you have some knowledge of high school hockey in North Dakota. If you had knowledge as you made it sound you would know that being drafted in the NHL is pretty far fetched, and none the less in the first round.

Yours Truely,

"Use your Head"

Boy you're sharp. I think the entire purpose of my last post flew entirely over your head. ;)

I see the high school hockey post has come back to life. Somewhat of an absurd direction but just the same some activity. This is a big month in the USHL and NAHL as most teams are ramping up with their tryouts - should be interesting to see how it breaks out. If anyone has any info on past tryouts (Fairbanks had one in the twin cities in May as did one of the Texas Teams) please share what you know. Cedar Rapids started their invite only tryout today and Des Moines has their open/futures tryout starting on Friday June 2nd. Tri-city aslo has an invite tryout in Bloomington tomorrow. On the 7th Sioux City starts a tryout and Des Moines has their invite only starting the 8th. Waterloo begins an open tryout June 9th and there will be a number of North Dakota players at that event (Weisgarber, Klein, etc). The 16th Green Bay has an invite only and I assume Andy Dittus and Tyler Jundt will be there as they were drafted by Green Bay. The F/M Jets have an open tryout starting Thursday, June 8th and there should be a lot of ND players there including Team North Dakota players Paul Campbell, Nick Klenow, and Andy Petersen. I would expect that Marc Mihulka, who was tendered by the Jets, would be there as well unless he has a bye until their final camp in July. If there is other info out there please share.