SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 ND Highschool Hockey

alum05

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess that's nice to hear. Nice job guys. Looks like they set a new standard for North Dakota high school hockey. These guys probably would have won if weisgarber and galt and tom campbell and willert were on the team. But they did good with what they had.

Probably would have won? The game could have gone either way, and these guys proved they didn't need any of those other guys. I'm not sure but I think you are the same person who was taking shots at how poorly you thought this team would do and even after they proved everyone wrong, you can't flat out say you were wrong. This might have not been the most skilled team ND has sent to the showcase, but they proved they were the best TEAM ND has ever sent.

Probably would have won? The game could have gone either way, and these guys proved they didn't need any of those other guys. I'm not sure but I think you are the same person who was taking shots at how poorly you thought this team would do and even after they proved everyone wrong, you can't flat out say you were wrong. This might have not been the most skilled team ND has sent to the showcase, but they proved they were the best TEAM ND has ever sent.

they proved me wrong congrats I admit it.... what happened at the end of the semi final game specifics? all of those penalties?

they proved me wrong congrats I admit it.... what happened at the end of the semi final game specifics? all of those penalties?

I want to be as positive as I can as Pittsburgh is a good team. However, they had some cheap players. Their top defenseman #3 Bartkowski put a Team ND forward into the boards head first from a check from behind. For that he received a 2 and 10. The Team ND player had a sore back and chest but no significant injury from the checking from behind. The injured ND player was taunted by another Pittsburg player as he lay on the ice.

Pittsburg is a tough team and played hard to win - they had beaten Minnesota earlier in the tourney. The problem developed after the final whistle when three of their players appeared to start fights with Team ND players after the final buzzer. To their credit the Team ND players did not respond to the Pittsburgh assaults. As I see it the aggression came out of frustration and poor sportsmanship - that is how they received all of those penalties. After the game when players were leaving one of the Team Pittsburg players put a shoulder into a Team ND player as he walked through the lobby. In summary, some of their players demonstrated a very low level of sportsmanship.

On a positive note, congrats to the players on Team North Dakota, the staff, parents and others involved in what turned out to be an outstanding representation for hockey in North Dakota for both the girls and boys.

N.D. boys take second at Showcase

By Tribune Sports Staff

BENSENVILLE, Ill. - Team North Dakota posted its best finishes ever in both the boys and girls divisions of the Chicago Showcase hockey tournament - and the boys came within a goal of winning the prestigious tournament, which includes some of the top high school talent in the country.

The North Dakota boys stunned previously unbeaten Pittsburgh 4-3 in Sunday morning's semifinals.Then in the championship game North Dakota rallied from a two-goal deficit in the final four minutes of regulation before falling to New Jersey in overtime, 3-2.

North Dakota had never placed higher than third before this year.

On the girls side, North Dakota had never advanced beyond the quarterfinals. This year it got as far as the semis, where North Dakota fell to Illinois 5-2 in Sunday's semifinals.

"It was a good showing all-around," said Bob Gillen, the former Hazen-Beulah boys coach who served as assistant general manager for the boys team.

Bismarck's Ross Monson had two assists in North Dakota's semifinal win over Pittsburgh, setting up the first goal and the last.

The game was tied 2-2 early in the second when North Dakota scored twice just nine seconds apart, getting goals from Fargo Shanley's Marc Harrie and Red River's David Hovet.

Frustrations boiled over at the end of the game as Pittsburgh - which was hit with a misconduct earlier in the game was assessed with six 10-minute misconducts, five game misconducts and a match penalty at the game's conclusion. The North Dakota players kept their cool and did not get any penalties.

In the championship game, Tony Principato scored two third-period goals, breaking the scoreless tie.

Fargo North's Nick Klenow sparked North Dakota, scoring a short-handed goal with just 3:56 remaining. Paul Campbell of Grafton-Park River then tied it up with 1:15 left in regulation. But Principato completed his hat trick at 6:46 of the 10-minute overtime session to clinch the title for New Jersey.

Nope I never took any shots at how poorly i thought the team would do. How would I know how they would do, I've never seen them play or any of the other teams they were going to play. I wasn't there for the tournament so I didn't know how the game went. I think this is great for ND hockey. They took 2nd and that is just great. The 2nd best team in the country at that tournament, that's just awesome. I wasn't trying to put down how good team North Dakota did. But I know for a fact I never put the team down before the tournament. I just think that they would have won if they had that extra bit of offense in the guys I listed earlier. I might be wrong though because I don't know how that would effect team chemistry and we all know you need to have some role players on any team who will give up their body for the team. Sorry you took my statement the wrong way.

could one of the players/parents post the lines if you have them?

Thanks Skateshatrick; You know when people from your own state doubt you it gives you that much more determination.

Marc Harrie-Jon Greicar-Andy Dittus

Nick Klenow- Paul Campbell- Marc Mihulka

David Hovet-Ross Monson- Brad Benke

Steven Burdick-Brandon Schmitt- Peter Jerome

Andy Peterson-Tyler Jundt

Tim Gregoire (sp?)- Lane Smith

Greg Slominski- Alex Olson

Jake Delisle

I'm not sure if this guy knew much of anything about hockey but he had to pick a team for some big tournement in 1980 and he said something like "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." I think his name was something like Herb Brooks. :)

Thanks Skateshatrick; You know when people from your own state doubt you it gives you that much more determination.

Jake Delisle

I'm not sure if this guy knew much of anything about hockey but he had to pick a team for some big tournement in 1980 and he said something like "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." I think his name was something like Herb Brooks. :)

This is a ND hockey thread and when a team from ND does well maybe we can just enjoy the success and not engage in meaningless speculation about how they would do against other teams. That is the kind of metaphysics that gets arguments going that really can't be settled. Let the kids enjoy their success instead of starting conflict within our own group here on Sioux Sports.

The Brooks quote presented by Specifics is about a philosophy of team building and that was the spirit of the comment not to compare a group of high school players to one of the greatest amateur hockey teams in history.

This is a ND hockey thread and when a team from ND does well maybe we can just enjoy the success and not engage in meaningless speculation about how they would do against other teams. That is the kind of metaphysics that gets arguments going that really can't be settled. Let the kids enjoy their success instead of starting conflict within our own group here on Sioux Sports.

The Brooks quote presented by Specifics is about a philosophy of team building and that was the spirit of the comment not to compare a group of high school players to one of the greatest amateur hockey teams in history.

Well said, I agree. Once again, to any Team ND boys reading this, congratulations guys.

Jake Delisle

haha are you comparing this team to the 1980 olympic team? Just for conversation sake I am wondering how people think this team would have done agianst teams like Roseuo, Moorhead or South? I'm sure someone could give the lines for south last year and we could try compare line by line. Moorhead and roseuo maybe alittle tough to come up with.

Since you feel compelled to minimize the accomplishments of Team North Dakota, perhaps you should ask yourself how many players South had that have a scholarship to a DI program like UND. Team ND beat Team Wisconsin twice, and Team Wisconsin had Derrick LaPoint, a heavily recruited defenseman who was recently signed by UND. There were many players on Team Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, New Jersey, etc. that were of comparable ability. Team Minnesota had Brian McMillan, one of the top players from Roseau. Please stop these petty attempts to minimize Team ND's accomplishments and give them the credit they deserve.

I always understood that the Showcase was only for players who did not have any post high school offers. I was suprised to see LaPoint on team WI.

Team ND had a very nice showing, and represented the State well. The past couple of years Team ND has done very well, and handled themselves very well. After the incident where half of the team was sent back to ND for drinking several years ago, the people in charge have done a great job with these kids.

haha are you comparing this team to the 1980 olympic team? Just for conversation sake I am wondering how people think this team would have done agianst teams like Roseuo, Moorhead or South? I'm sure someone could give the lines for south last year and we could try compare line by line. Moorhead and roseuo maybe alittle tough to come up with.

Since you feel compelled to minimize the accomplishments of Team North Dakota, perhaps you should ask yourself how many players South had that have a scholarship to a DI program like UND. Team ND beat Team Wisconsin twice, and Team Wisconsin had Derrick LaPoint, a heavily recruited defenseman who was recently signed by UND. There were many players on Team Pittsburgh, Wisconsin, New Jersey, etc. that were of comparable ability. Team Minnesota had Brian McMillan, one of the top players from Roseau. Please stop these petty attempts to minimize Team ND's accomplishments and give them the credit they deserve.

Wow who stepped on your balls? I only meant to start a conversation and see how people feel this team would have done against teams that didnt have any players on the team. Also, I can say this because the team lost to the Select 88/89 team. I have said before how happy I am for the team and I'll say it agian great going. Please ask yourself how many players in North dakota have a Scholarship to a D1 program like UND.

Who are some juniors coming up that should be high up in stats or good defensemen or goalies next year that are juniors this year?

I'm guessing that these will be some of the top seniors next year - Kyle Everson (DL), Michael Mack (DL), Tyler Klein (FN), Matt Labernik (FN), Danny Wurden (South), Sean Deichert (South), Zach Miller (GPR), Tanner Hills (GPR), Nathan Stremick (Minot), Shawn Erickson (Williston), Kyle Haugenoe (Williston)

That's just from what I know, I don't have any information on some of the other teams.. What does everyone else think?

And another question, who will be some good Juniors this coming hockey season?

Wow who stepped on your balls? I only meant to start a conversation and see how people feel this team would have done against teams that didnt have any players on the team. Also, I can say this because the team lost to the Select 88/89 team. I have said before how happy I am for the team and I'll say it agian great going. Please ask yourself how many players in North dakota have a Scholarship to a D1 program like UND.

Because teams never lose to teams of lesser value... Holy Cross? It's hockey it happens. Team ND's consistent play throught the tournement proved they were the real deal.

I'm guessing that these will be some of the top seniors next year - Kyle Everson (DL), Michael Mack (DL), Tyler Klein (FN), Matt Labernik (FN), Danny Wurden (South), Sean Deichert (South), Zach Miller (GPR), Tanner Hills (GPR), Nathan Stremick (Minot), Shawn Erickson (Williston), Kyle Haugenoe (Williston)

That's just from what I know, I don't have any information on some of the other teams.. What does everyone else think?

And another question, who will be some good Juniors this coming hockey season?

Good juniors, from RR-Ladoucer, Galbreath, Meland, GFC, Siminson, WF-Swanson FS-Powers(senior age)

Jake Delisle

Just a quick note of facts concerning this years team. Team North Dakota made history serveral different ways. 1st it was the highest finish ever only falling in sudden death overtime, 2nd forward Andy Dittus recieved the "Best Forward of the Tournament" award. I think no other participant of TND has ever achieved.

There is so much nonesense talk about east being better that west that I think this year was a good testiment that there are skill players on both sides of the state and North Dakota has and is continuing to make its mark in the national hockey ranks as a state that can produce some very talented players.

TND deserves all the kudos it can get.

One other quick note, Kudos to the TND coaching staff. They changed the team from playing as individuals into a team that was unified and dominating.

Job well done Coaches

Just a quick note of facts concerning this years team. Team North Dakota made history serveral different ways. 1st it was the highest finish ever only falling in sudden death overtime, 2nd forward Andy Dittus recieved the "Best Forward of the Tournament" award. I think no other participant of TND has ever achieved.

There is so much nonesense talk about east being better that west that I think this year was a good testiment that there are skill players on both sides of the state and North Dakota has and is continuing to make its mark in the national hockey ranks as a state that can produce some very talented players.

TND deserves all the kudos it can get.

One other quick note, Kudos to the TND coaching staff. They changed the team from playing as individuals into a team that was unified and dominating.

Job well done Coaches

I certainly agree that great players come from both ends of the state but, the East is a stronger conference than the West. Just look at how many championships the West has won... Andy Dittus is a very, very good foward. He definitly deserved that award. He absolutly undressed UND recruit Derek LaPointe in the teams first of two meetings.