SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN Sportcenter 50 states in 50 days

joelbird

For the record, I have nothing against Fargo or NDSU, although I may disagree with their approaches to certain issues from time to time. I like visiting Fargo because there are more places to shop and more things to do there. I won't deny that.

And although I'd like my son to attend UND, he's seriously considering NDSU because it's clearly better in his area of interest. For that reason, I'd have no problem with him choosing NDSU, just as my parents who attended USD had no problem with me choosing SDSU. I want what's best for him, just as my parents wanted what was best for me.

Because Fargo will always have geographic advantages over Grand Forks, it's not realistic to think that Grand Forks will ever outgrow Fargo. I would much prefer that Grand Forks find its own niche and carve out its own identity than pursue the unattainable goal of being like Fargo. That's why I think it's ridiculous for Fargo/NDSU supporters to slam Grand Forks/UND for not emulating Fargo and NDSU.

Both cites and both universities should pursue courses that get them where they want to be. Grand Forks doesn't have to be like Fargo to be a good place to live and raise children. UND doesn't have to be like NDSU to be a fine and successful school.

Edited by PCM

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I have nothing against Fargo or NDSU, although I may disagree with their approaches to certain issues from time to time. I like visiting Fargo because there are more places to shop and more things to do there. I won't deny that.

And although I'd like my son to attend UND, he's seriously considering NDSU because it's clearly better in his area of interest. For that reason, I'd have no problem with him choosing NDSU, just as my parents who attended USD had no problem with me choosing SDSU. I want what's best for him, just as my parents wanted what was best for me.

Because Fargo will always have geographic advantages over Grand Forks, it's not realistic to think that Grand Forks will ever outgrow Fargo. I would much prefer that Grand Forks find its own niche and carve out its own identity than pursue the unattainable goal of being like Fargo. That's why I think it's ridiculous for Fargo/NDSU supporters to slam Grand Forks/UND for not emulating Fargo and NDSU.

Both ciites and both universities should pursue courses that get them where they want to be. Grand Forks doesn't have to be like Fargo to be a good place to live and raise children. UND doesn't have to be like NDSU to be a fine and successful school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree with you 100%.

Another thing I haven't heard much bragging about out of Fargo is that they are officially the "Street Light Capitol of the World". You can't go 4 blocks without hitting a street light in that town. Ridiculous.

They have Grand Forks beat 5:1 in street light ratio. :D

Another thing I haven't heard much bragging about out of Fargo is that they are officially the "Street Light Capitol of the World".  You can't go 4 blocks without hitting a street light in that town.  Ridiculous. 

They have Grand Forks beat 5:1 in street light ratio.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's better than in Des Moines where every other street light is left off to save money due to budget issues.

Tuesday at 5.  The only place there was any sort of cars was where the bridge north of town is under construction and you're cut to one lane.  But I only counted about 25 cars.  A two lane road during rush hour can handle 25 cars.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are honestly going to say there were only 25 cars on I-29 during rush hour in Fargo?

I've driven through Minneapolis before and traffic wasn't that bad at all, does that mean they don't have serious issues of rush hour traffic? Of course not. I'm just trying to say that driving through a place a couple times of year does not give one an accurate reflection of the traffic concerns and flow patterns in a given city.

This economic growth will have a marked effect on the Universities and their athletic departments.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, schools like:

Arizona (Tucson)

Georgia (Athens)

North Carolina (Chapel Hill)

Oregon State (Corvallis)

have really suffered beyond recovery because of:

Arizona State (Tempe - i.e. Phoenix)

Georgia State (Atlanta)

North Carolina State (Raleigh)

Oregon (Eugene)

:lol::lol::D

Yeah, schools like:

Arizona (Tucson)

Georgia (Athens)

North Carolina (Chapel Hill)

Oregon State (Corvallis)

have really suffered beyond recovery because of:

Arizona State (Tempe - i.e. Phoenix)

Georgia State (Atlanta)

North Carolina State (Raleigh)

Oregon (Eugene)

:lol::lol::D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't drawing a general comparison to universities in the United States. Also, I would have used Georgia Tech for Atlanta not Georgia State.

?

Also, it's a pretty faulty parallelism. Unless I've missed something all of those communities have been relatively prosperous in last decade or so.

I would much prefer that Grand Forks find its own niche and carve out its own identity than pursue the unattainable goal of being like Fargo.

Vaht? You mean GF/EGF shouldn't strive to be another little Twin Cities? :D

You're right: I'd rather see GF develop its own personality and niche also. Who wants all the same everywhere.

As far as traffic: The roads in Fargo could probably hold the traffic for a few more years, it's just that nobody in Fargo, OK, North Dakotans in general (and Minnesotans are no better), knows how to merge onto an interstate highway.

As far as traffic: The roads in Fargo could probably hold the traffic for a few more years, it's just that nobody in Fargo, OK, North Dakotans in general (and Minnesotans are no better), knows how to merge onto an interstate highway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So true. :D

I wasn't drawing a general comparison to universities in the United States.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously, but I have and you have not made a case why GF/Fargo is different.

Also, I would have used Georgia Tech for Atlanta not Georgia State.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for strengthening my point.

?

Also, it's a pretty faulty parallelism.  Unless I've missed something all of those communities have been relatively prosperous in last decade or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, got to hand it to you, when you've obviously lost a point in your debate, you just go on as though nothing has happened. Tell you what, you really don't need to post on this site any longer as everyone here already knows what you're going to say before you say it.

Back to the topic...did anyone see the program? Pretty good, I thought, with some Sioux hockey highlights and Bison football highlights and lots of talk about Roger Maris. Then the bomb drops...Chris Berman referring to Phil Jackson's basketball days at Williston High School and North Dakota State University. The best part was that they picture Phil in not one, but TWO different photos with NORTH DAKOTA written squarely across his chest. Ugh.

Also disappointing and I'm surprised no one mentioned it. If memory serves me right, wasn't Bill Fitch, long-time NBA coach, the head coach at UND while Phil Jackson was there?

Program was a joke! I hate how they had to go with the idiots in the State Legislature and say that the state thinks Maris should still have the record. I mean come on people get over it. The record was beat 6 times in 4 years.

Although, I've been watching the other states with the "local" frame of mind and get the feeling that they go in to every state with a pre-conceived notion of what it will be like and only try to reinforce those thoughts.

I am ashamed that they did not call me and ask me what I thought they should show from my home state. I also wonder how many mistakes (like Phil-NDSU) they make that no one outside of that state even realizes.

All in all, I thought it was pretty dumb and will not watch many of the others either.

Program was a joke!  I hate how they had to go with the idiots in the State Legislature and say that the state thinks Maris should still have the record.  I mean come on people get over it.  The record was beat 6 times in 4 years. 

Maris still has the record, the American League record of 61. :D

I do think Maris has a lot more respect for hitting 61, because of the steroid scandal. I don't think they would ever overturn the steroid induced records though.

Program was a joke!  I hate how they had to go with the idiots in the State Legislature and say that the state thinks Maris should still have the record.  I mean come on people get over it.  The record was beat 6 times in 4 years. 

Because you didn't like the Maris piece, the whole thing was a joke? I thought it was pretty good, especially when Steve Levy said, "How can you not fall in love with North Dakota."

I thought the Maris piece was good. I'm glad they did it.