SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN Sportcenter 50 states in 50 days

joelbird

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how bison fans always come back with statements that have nothing to do with the topic. They could be getting the crap beat out of them year in and year out (and they have), and they will say there mall is better or they have more eating places. Our little town of G.F. does pretty well and our university, and sports do very well. Our hockey team plays about 18 home games a year, with an attendance of around 10,000. Our football team averages over 9,000 a game and we have had many post season games at home to really bring in the good crowds. And our Basketball averaged around 2,500 for the year. You add up all these numbers and there were alot of people who attended UND sporting events last year. Not only do we have good attendance for our little town, but we have fans that are very passionate about the game. Just ask tony stauss how loud it gets in the alerus, and other QB's as well. I would dare say UND had about twice as many fans attend there home games then the bison did this past year. Hect, we had more people at some of our away hockey games than the bison had at some of there home B.B. games. Now what's the biggest sport in N.D.? The one that is really D-1. The joke of the day. How do all the people fight the traffic in fargo to watch a playoff F.B. game at the fab dome? Oh ya, they don't.

Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  There is a lot of "show" in Grand Forks which has replaced a lot of substance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I know some people around here who thought old, crumbling, dark, half-vacant downtown was just fine the way it was, sort of the way some people prefer to drive cars that are noisy old smoking rust buckets because they have so much character. :D

Wow.  You are tearing this guy apart.  I've lived there and now I travel there and I can agree with what some of IowaBison is saying.  32nd Avenue is strip mall city...that could be Woodbury, Oakdale, Richfield (along the 494 stretch) or any other cookie cutter suburb in Minneapolis/St Paul.  There was something about the old downtown that won't be seen again anytime soon.  Cut the guy some slack.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are tearing him apart? :D:lol:

Since you can agree with some of what he is saying, than I guess we will stop commenting on this, because if you agree then he must be right.

I like how bison fans always come back with statements that have nothing to do with the topic.  They could be getting the crap beat out of them year in and year out (and they have), and they will say there mall is better or they have more eating places.  Our little town of G.F. does pretty well and our university, and sports do very well.  Our hockey team plays about 18 home games a year, with an attendance of around 10,000.  Our football team averages over 9,000 a game and we have had many post season games at home to really bring in the good crowds.  And our Basketball averaged around 2,500 for the year.  You add up all these numbers and there were alot of people who attended UND sporting events last year.  Not only do we have good attendance for our little town, but we have fans that are very passionate about the game.  Just ask tony stauss how loud it gets in the alerus, and other QB's as well.  I would dare say UND had about twice as many fans attend there home games then the bison did this past year.  Hect, we had more people at some of our away hockey games than the bison had at some of there home B.B. games.  Now what's the biggest sport in N.D.?  The one that is really D-1.  The joke of the day.  How do all the people fight the traffic in fargo to watch a playoff F.B. game at the fab dome?  Oh ya, they don't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My comments followed the direction that the thread was taking, though it had little to do with the original intent. Funny that you criticize me for changing the topic when I didn't and then you go on to bring up Bison football?

32nd Avenue is strip mall city...that could be Woodbury, Oakdale, Richfield (along the 494 stretch) or any other cookie cutter suburb in Minneapolis/St Paul.
Edited by PCM

It was more of a joke as PCM used the word survive to describe the experiences of Grand Forks which I thought was apt, but did not comment on the arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you would have lived here during the flood's aftermath, seen the total devastation and heard all the dire predictions being made about the future of Grand Forks, you'd know why residents of this community are proud that their city has not only survived, but also grown, propered and improved. And it has done this despite the BRAC monkey wrenches thrown at it.

You are completely misrepresenting my point by taking one word from my post and using it totally out of context.

Oh here we go...someone else accusing me of being self-absorbed and right about everything.  Pick a number and get in line.  I don't believe I've ever said anywhere that I'm obviously right and you are definitely wrong.  I'm putting in my two cents.  This whole thread (and argument) started over the use of the word "survived."  I was simply pointing out that I didn't believe IowaBison meant it in a bad way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IowaBison took some shots at Grand Forks and people took exception to it. I'm not sure why he should get a pass, while others should cut him some "slack".

Downtown GF pre- or post- 1997? Post. That's not even a question.

Downtown EGF pre- or post- 1997? Pre. I miss (old) Whitey's, The Bridge, and The Antique. :D

In Fargo, drive from 45th at I-94 up to 13th Ave, east to 42nd St, south to 17th Ave, and back west to 45th and tell me there's anything but chain restaurants, strip malls, a mall, and big box stores. (It's the same in GF; so what.)

What's lurking in Fargo's future is the lack of a water supply to sustain growth. (See the Water: $2,500,000,000.00 thread.) In terms of that key factor in growth, Grand Forks, thanks to the Red Lake River and a couple other tributaries, has distinct advantage of a larger nominal flow and a better "available water to population" ratio.

As far as rating a school by the city it resides in, ever seen Princeton, NJ? What a hole. How about Ithaca, NY, or South Bend or Bloomington or West Lafayette, IN? How about State College, PA, or even College Station, TX? All are smallish and isolated towns with pretty solid schools. The town doesn't make the school.

Downtown GF pre- or post- 1997? Post. That's not even a question.

Downtown EGF pre- or post- 1997? Pre. I miss (old) Whitey's, The Bridge, and The Antique. :D 

In Fargo, drive from 45th at I-94 up to 13th Ave, east to 42nd St, south to 17th Ave, and back west to 45th and tell me there's anything but chain restaurants, strip malls, a mall, and big box stores. (It's the same in GF; so what.)

What's lurking in Fargo's future is the lack of a water supply to sustain growth. (See the Water: $2,500,000,000.00 thread.) In terms of that key factor in growth, Grand Forks, thanks to the Red Lake River and a couple other tributaries, has  distinct advantage of a larger nominal flow and a better "available water to population" ratio.

As far as rating a school by the city it resides in, ever seen Princeton, NJ? What a hole. How about Ithaca, NY, or South Bend or Bloomington or West Lafayette, IN? How about State College, PA, or even College Station, TX? All are smallish and isolated towns with pretty solid schools. The town doesn't make the school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nicely put, Sicatoka. I especially like the part about West Lafayette, Indiana. What a dump! Purdue U rocks, though.

If you would have lived here during the flood's aftermath, seen the total devastation and heard all the dire predictions being made about the future of Grand Forks, you'd know why residents of this community are proud that their city has not only survived, but also grown, propered and improved. And it has done this despite the BRAC monkey wrenches thrown at it.

You are completely misrepresenting my point by taking one word from my post and using it totally out of context.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, I did and still do use the word as a compliment and not an insult, but you can take it for what you want.

Not really, I did and still do use the word as a compliment and not an insult, but you can take it for what you want.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So when you said this...

Grand Forks would be seeing this if they hadn't been moving sideways for the last decade for the aforementioned reasons.
...followed by this...

You picked the correct word for Grand Forks for the last eleven years: survive.

...I was supposed to consider it a compliment?

The fact of the matter is, you don't know what you're talking about. Some of us have tried to educate you on what's been happening in Grand Forks since the flood, but you don't want to hear it.

Furthermore, you're attitude is hypocritical. In Fargo, urban sprawl is a sign of economic growth. In Grand Forks, it's ugly. When Fargo revitalizes it's downtown, it's progress. When Grand Forks does it, you tell us that the former vacant, crumbling eyesores downtown were better.

You act as if the bad things that have happened to Grand Forks were by choice and the good things that have happened to Fargo are part of some grand, visionary design.

You repeat that same baseless garbage over and over again, then claim that you mean it as a compliment. Nice spin. I'm not buying it.

So when you said this...

...followed by this...

...I was supposed to consider it a compliment?

The fact of the matter is, you don't know what you're talking about. Some of us have tried to educate you on what's been happening in Grand Forks since the flood, but you don't want to hear it.

Furthermore, you're attitude is hypocritical. In Fargo, urban sprawl is a sign of economic growth. In Grand Forks, it's ugly. When Fargo revitalizes it's downtown, it's progress. When Grand Forks does it, you tell us that the former vacant, crumbling eyesores downtown were better.

You act as if the bad things that have happened to Grand Forks were by choice and the good things that have happened to Fargo are part of some grand, visionary design.

You repeat that same baseless garbage over and over again, then claim that you mean it as a compliment. Nice spin. I'm not buying it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyways......

Anyways......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a good wat to get out of a hole.

Admit it, you were trying to put down GF and you got called out on it. I've put down Fargo many times, never tried to sneak out of it by saying I meant an obvious shot as a compliment, but nice try.

That's a good wat to get out of a hole.

Admit it, you were trying to put down GF and you got called out on it. I've put down Fargo many times, never tried to sneak out of it by saying I meant an obvious shot as a compliment, but nice try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a pile of horsesh*t.

I've given up on repeating what I've already said as its is clearly not being communicated well, for which I will gladly take some responsibility.

It's kind of difficult having a three day discussion about a complex topic, even more so when certain individuals immediately think that I've got a sinister motive just because I'm the fan of a particular sports team.

Making a comment which is intended to be a complement and automatically being labeled as two-faced or backhanded gives me little reason to continue the conversation. That being said, I bet that PCM, Eskimo, and I could sit down and have the same conversation and agree on 90% of things, that just isn't possible in an online forum.