SiouxSports.com Forum

ESPN Sportcenter 50 states in 50 days

joelbird

Seriously, when I read the comments from Bison fans like IowaBison, I....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is that BRAC and the flood had and will continue to have a tremendous effect on the Grand Forks community. In light of what has and will happen Grand Forks has done surprisingly well.

Just imagine where Grand Forks would be if the flood had never happened or if you still have 6,000 folks working just west of town.

You picked the correct word for Grand Forks for the last eleven years: survive. During this time the FM metro area has continued to grow.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine where Grand Forks would be if the flood had never happened or if you still have 6,000 folks working just west of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a good point, the only thing I would add to that is, the city would have a whole different look to it if the flood had never happened. Hundreds of millions of dollars in new construction/renovation throughout the city took place that would have never happened if the flood hadn't occurred.

And when will this demand happen?  10 years?  20?  Because at this point you are starting to have to make repairs, and hence wasting money.  It isn't needed today and I doubt it'll be needed in 5 years.  Most Fargo people don't seem to bother with the I-29.  It's used by those from Moorhead or traveling through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When was the last time you travelled on I-29 in Fargo around 8 AM or 5 PM?

Before I-29 was widened and I lived in south Fargo, I have fond memories of the 32nd Ave. S exit backing up to the I-94 interchange at 5 PM in the late 90's.

As Fargo continues sprawling, the trend is for the city to grow north and south. There's three Fargo street exits for I-94, but there's currently seven street exits for I-29. If most Fargo people don't use I-29, it sure would be nice of them to get their vehicles off the interstate.

That is a good point, the only thing I would add to that is, the city would have a whole different look to it if the flood had never happened. Hundreds of millions of dollars in new construction/renovation throughout the city took place that would have never happened if the flood hadn't occurred.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Metro would probably have an extra 5,000 people as well.

A lot of the construction was to replace infrastructure that was lost. Grand Forks got some showy new buildings, but it also lost a pretty decent downtown.

I hope you are working in Bloomington. I lived in Bloomington for a year and it was the worse decision of my life. I had to drive to St. Paul everyday - I spent 2+ hours in traffic everyday pondering why the hell I moved there. Hopefully the 494 will be better after the expansion - but 35W is where the real nightmare is. I ended up driving through town (98th st) around the airport and up through St. Paul - seemed pretty stupid considering there are several interstate/highway options - but they are basically parking lots from 6-9 am and 3-7 pm. Bloomington is a nice place to live - so long as you rarely have to leave the SW burbs.

On the whole Fargo - GF thing, having lived in both and graduated from both SU and UND, IMO Fargo is a much better city, UND is a much better school. There is more to do in Fargo, and Fargo is rapidly expanding - although they are not going to hit MSP size they may turn into a Madison or Omaha type city. You have to face it - both the Alerus and the Dome suck for football, I haven't been to a concert at the Alerus yet, but the Dome is a terrible venue for concerts also. Actually the only good event the Dome has held on its parking lot (RibFest).

UND is a much better college town - mainly because they don't have a closeted fascist in charge of the police department in GF.

I think we can all agree - both towns are cooler than Minot :D

I gotta chime in on the Fargo-MSP thing.

I'll be living in Bloomington this fall (looking at you MafiaMan).  I just took two trips to the Cities in the past week and obviously road construction is the story.  But here is what's strange.  The 494 loop is finally being expanded due to traffic congestion and jams.  Fargo just expanded I-29, yet I can't ever remember anyone complaining about traffic on the I-29.  Fargo wants to be considered a big city so bad that they just had to have a wider interstate corrider.  It sure would have been nice if the federal govt. could have spent that money where it was needed.  Like I-15 from Cali to Vegas.  Talk about traffic on a two-three lane interstate.  It's always strange to come to a complete hault in the middle of a desert when there was no accident involved.

Did I hear correct that they are expanded I-29 farther north?  The traffic delays due to construction are bad enough, but seems like there'll be a few more years of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of the construction was to replace infrastructure that was lost. Grand Forks got some showy new buildings, but it also lost a pretty decent downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

IowaBison,

Keep this up and some people here might think Bison fans aren't such a bad bunch after all. I totally agree with you. People love to mention how Grand Forks rebounded, but East Grand Forks basically closed up shop. It's still eerie to me driving thru what was downtown East Grand Forks and seeing streets, street lights, and yet no houses. Plus, it's still Whitey's, but it just isn't the same.

A lot of the construction was to replace infrastructure that was lost.  Grand Forks got some showy new buildings, but it also lost a pretty decent downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course there would be more people, no one has said any different.

Have you driven around Grand Forks in a while? There is a little bit more than some replaced infrastructure.

I talked to a couple of salesmen who were in town from Chicago a couple weeks ago, neither of them had been here since the early 90s and both commented on how much nicer downtown is now. So I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I hope you are working in Bloomington.  I lived in Bloomington for a year and it was the worse decision of my life.  I had to drive to St. Paul everyday - I spent 2+ hours in traffic everyday pondering why the hell I moved there.  Hopefully the 494 will be better after the expansion - but 35W is where the real nightmare is.  I ended up driving through town (98th st) around the airport and up through St. Paul - seemed pretty stupid considering there are several interstate/highway options - but they are basically parking lots from 6-9 am and 3-7 pm.  Bloomington is a nice place to live - so long as you rarely have to leave the SW burbs. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live there and work in downtown St Paul, too. 494 east to Highway 5 to Shepard Road works like a charm. One-half hour on the button.

A lot of the construction was to replace infrastructure that was lost.  Grand Forks got some showy new buildings, but it also lost a pretty decent downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The flood devastated this town. People (including myself) lost homes, tons of money, memories, etc. It obviously was a terrible event and has taken years and will take more years to recover from. However, with the flood came some improvements to this city. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but downtown was a dump before the flood. It was full of old buildings and was not very attractive. It has taken on a whole new look and is very nice to place to walk around during the summer, especially with the farmer's market on saturdays.

You picked the correct word for Grand Forks for the last eleven years: survive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrong. Despite being dealt some bad hands through no fault of its own, Grand Forks has done far more than survive. That was the entire point of my post. Sorry you missed it.

Wrong. Despite being dealt some bad hands through no fault of its own, Grand Forks has done far more than survive. That was the entire point of my post. Sorry you missed it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me amend that. For the most part Grand Forks survived and a guy gave the University a $100 million for an arena.

Grand Forks got some showy new buildings, but it also lost a pretty decent downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grand Forks lost "a pretty decent downtown"? You're kidding me, right? Downtown Grand Forks was an embarrassment before the flood. I deliberately avoided taking visitors there because I was ashamed of it.

Downtown Grand Forks still has a long way to go, but at least it's a far more attractive and active place than it was before the flood.

Let me amend that. For the most part Grand Forks survived and a guy gave the University a $100 million for an arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D:lol:

Wow, are you sure you have been to Grand Forks in the last 40 years?

If you don't think Grand Forks has anything to offer, that is fine. I guess I will continue living in this town with nothing to offer, always living in the envy of Fargo. I'm not sure how I will be able to cope, but I will try my best.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think IowaBison meant any disrespect by using the word "survive."  I'd say Grand Forks survived, too, and I don't think it's a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

His backhanded comments towards Grand Forks have gotten a little old for me MafiaMan. I think he can fight his own fights.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think IowaBison meant any disrespect by using the word "survive."  I'd say Grand Forks survived, too, and I don't think it's a bad thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're not mistaken. Grand Forks was dealt one of the all time sh/%tiest hands in the last decade and you've stood your ground....

and built a $100 million arena (I didn't forget about you PCM)

Grand Forks lost "a pretty decent downtown"? You're kidding me, right? Downtown Grand Forks was an embarrassment before the flood. I deliberately avoided taking visitors there because I was ashamed of it.

Downtown Grand Forks still has a long way to go, but at least it's a far more attractive and active place than it was before the flood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Once again beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a lot of "show" in Grand Forks which has replaced a lot of substance.

Let me amend that.  For the most part Grand Forks survived and a guy gave the University a $100 million for an arena.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When Ralph announced his gift to UND, he said one of the reasons he was doing it was to assist Grand Forks with flood recovery, and there's no denying that it helped. But hundreds of millions of dollars -- some of it public and some of it private -- have been invested in other areas that have made a huge difference. The city would have bounced back without Englestad's generousity, but because of him, Grand Forks came back faster and better.

Wow. You are tearing this guy apart. I've lived there and now I travel there and I can agree with what some of IowaBison is saying. 32nd Avenue is strip mall city...that could be Woodbury, Oakdale, Richfield (along the 494 stretch) or any other cookie cutter suburb in Minneapolis/St Paul. There was something about the old downtown that won't be seen again anytime soon. Cut the guy some slack.