SiouxSports.com Forum

Best Football Memory

snaggles

Although there has been many during the years, one of my favorite was when Jimmy K. split the bison secondary on the slant route and out ran them for a T.D. My other one would be the goal-line stand against UC-Davis I believe, the noise was unbelievable. It's time to start talking FB and getting excited. I don't think there has been this much excitement for UND football for a long time. Tailgaiting is up, attendence is up, and were winning. Can't wait for the season to start.

"The play" against Grand Valley State in 2001, Mooney's stripping the ball and taking it in for a td against NDSU in 1993 and Riendeau's hit on UNC receiver Grable in 1999. Also, Glas's 52-yard field goal with 3 seconds left against SCSU in 2003 to complete a huge comeback was one of the most clutch plays I can recall.

All the Bison games in the last decade or so have been a highlight reel for the Fighting Sioux. It 's hard to pick out just one play since there are so many of them. Anyway it looks like it is going to be a great season. I can't wait.

I can't forget to mention the game in 1994 against the bison at the FAB fargodome. Nobody thought UND could win, then Wagner went down and UND's hopes were slim. Enter freshman QB Kevin klancher who came in and performed like a veteran and we blow them away. The build-up and hype for the new Fargodome was so high and UND went in and took care of business and sent bison fans home in the 3rd quarter. The FAB dome is still reeling from that game. And the year before wasn't to bad either, when we beat the bison at home, and the goal post got paraded down university Ave. There have been alot of good memories the last decade.

All of those are very good and memorable plays that will go down in Sioux lore. One of my other favorites was Kelly Howe's play against SDSU's Josh Ranek in 1998, I believe. Ranek broke through the line for a long run and was clearly in the open with a 10 yard lead on everyone. Howe runs him down at the five yard line and punches the ball out from behind, and then it is recovered by a UND d-back in the end zone for a touchback. It was voted "Hustle Play of the Year" and was one of the most amazing plays I have witnessed.

Kelby Klosterman to Dan Graf to complete the comeback against St. Cloud at old Selke Field. Without that come-from-behind win the Sioux would have been on the road for playoffs (or maybe not made playoffs) instead of at home for three of the greatest playoff games in Sioux history and a National Championship.

Saint Luke says it all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the Archives:

One of the best ever was in 1975 when UND blew away the AC at Dakotah Field.

Dale Kasowski scored on about an 80 (or maybe it was 180yd) TD run. John Kuklenski (the wide receiver who ran about a 5.1 40) cracked back on the AC DB Krebsbach and hit him so hard he knocked himself out and Krebsbach was taken to the hospital with a lacerated liver. Some of the AC fans thought he was dead. Kasowski ran over the CB Rogers at about the 5 yd line and knocked his helmet off, and broke his nose. I can't remember if he was also knocked out but there was blood everywhere and I think he was knocked out temporarily but I can't remember for sure. There were three guys laying out on the field but Kuklenski was the first up. The AC trainer, Dennis Isrow checked JK out by asking him if he was OK while he drove his fist into JK's gut.

In 1972 The Sioux beat the AC at Dakota Field ending their 35 game unbeaten streak. It was in the rain the day after the SAE house burned and two kids were killed in the fire. I think the AC had minus 86 total yds for the game and were down to their third string QB by the end of the game. Jim LeClair our middle LB filled the hole on what looked like a big play for them and hit Dave Nelson the AC RB so hard you could hear the hit throughout the stadium even in the rain. He didn't get up and frankly, was never the same RB. He later transferred to Concordia where he finished his career as a Cobber.

My best football memory would have to be the game against North Alabama last year. I walked in to the Alerus just hoping that we would stay within 10 points of that team, and three minutes into the game Bowenkamp throws a touchdown pass to Travis Lueck (sp). I've never heard the Alerus center so loud. :huh:

Runner up would be the Digger play against NDSU. He hits the hole, makes the tackle......everyone waits for the ball to be spotted.......PANDEMONIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I like just about any play where Digger makes the play. He ALWAYS hits hard.

Digger's hurdle of Delta State's QB was really cool.

Glas' 52 yard field goal against SCSU to win it was unbelievable and I'm not big on field goals. I can't remember if that was a year or two years ago....

Can't believe no one has mentioned the early 90's UND/NDSU game where Mike Mooney ripped the ball out of Jason Millers hands and returned it for the game clinching TD to end the ag college's long winning streak. The fans stormed the field and took down the goalpost and carried it off - bits and pieces ended up on a couple frat lawns as I remember...

Whatever happened to Mooney? I don't think he's been back since? That guy was pretty intense on the field...

Can't believe no one has mentioned the early 90's UND/NDSU game where Mike Mooney ripped the ball out of Jason Millers hands and returned it for the game clinching TD to end the ag college's long winning streak.  The fans stormed the field and took down the goalpost and carried it off - bits and pieces ended up on a couple frat lawns as I remember...

Whatever happened to Mooney?  I don't think he's been back since?  That guy was pretty intense on the field...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I mentioned Mooney's play above. He's living in the twin cities and has been back a few times. I talked to him briefly at a game at the Alerus last year.

Second on my list is Steve Huber blowing past Joe Toth and blocking a Bison punt in the end zone which was recovered by K.J. Coughlan for a touchdown.  It began a memorable aafternoon for Sioux fans in Memorial Stadium and "364 days of Hell" for Rocky and the Gang.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure that happened in GF? Wasn't that at the Fargodome???

Can't believe no one has mentioned the early 90's UND/NDSU game where Mike Mooney ripped the ball out of Jason Millers hands and returned it for the game clinching TD to end the ag college's long winning streak.  The fans stormed the field and took down the goalpost and carried it off - bits and pieces ended up on a couple frat lawns as I remember...

Whatever happened to Mooney?  I don't think he's been back since?  That guy was pretty intense on the field...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look above.

I remember being carried around the entire field as myself and a couple others hung on to the goalposts. (we were real young, 5th or 6th graders) Then crowding around Mooney as he was interviewed and chanting Mooney, Mooney, Mooney as they could barely hear him. GREAT STUFF!

"The play" against Grand Valley State in 2001, Mooney's stripping the ball and taking it in for a td against NDSU in 1993 and Riendeau's hit on UNC receiver Grable in 1999. Also, Glas's 52-yard field goal with 3 seconds left against SCSU in 2003 to complete a huge comeback was one of the most clutch plays I can recall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:huh:;):lol:

You Know what I'm Glaring about!!

Mooney stripping the ball and the Sioux beating the Bison for the first time in 13 frustrating years.

The atmosphere in Memorial Stadium was so incredible. The student section was completely empty within seconds of the game ending.

I think I lost my voice for a week.

:D

Mooney stripping the ball and the Sioux beating the Bison for the first time in 13 frustrating years.

The atmosphere in Memorial Stadium was so incredible.  The student section was completely empty within seconds of the game ending.

I think I lost my voice for a week.

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember finally getting home and flipping on the TV to channel 3 and there being two simple words "We Won". Definitely a great day to be a Sioux fan. That day was the catalyst for an unprecedented decade of success by the UND athletic program.