SiouxSports.com Forum

AD Canidates

sokarcrazy

I see that there are some open session for the AD canidates for both students and the public. I was curious if some of those who were able to attend could fill in everyone else on this board. Just maybe little things about strengths and weaknesses and their interview in general. I know the canidates and thier resumes, I would just like to get an non bias opinion of those fortunate enough to meet or hear the canidates in their interview.

Thanks

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not met either McCarthy or Molde but here is my assessment of their strengths and potential weaknesses (some of this information came from inside the Athletic Department):

McCarthy

Strengths: High energy, presents himself well, has been quite successful at Lynn - many teams in the Top 10 nationally.

Challenges (real or perceived): Has had no AD experience with hockey or football, not familiar with this area, probably has higher aspirations so he might not be here too long.

Molde

Strengths (real or perceived): A great deal of experience - currently overseeing 23 sports at Gustavus, has experience with a Division III hockey program, a "decision-maker", very familiar with our area, very well respected, would be at UND until he retires as he likely does not have higher aspirations.

Challenges: May be considered older than some would like, no DI hockey experience.

Bollinger

Strengths: "Bleeds green", very familiar with program, well-respected, already "knows" what should be done to improve athletics at UND (including the development of a better working relationship with the Ralph), could be "up and running" quickly.

Challenges (real or perceived): No AD experience, little true administrative experience (a very important function of the job), hockey faction may associate him too much with football, Kupchalla may associate him with being pro-DI as the FB coaches would like to move to IAA tomorrow if they could (I think Rob is taking the right approach - do our due diligence NOW to see if a move up makes sense in the future), the administration may want a "fresh face" with new ideas, Rob is too valuable to lose as the primary fund raiser for athletics.

These are just observations by either myself or shared by others. This is not meant to be argumentative so don't "tear this apart". While there are factions that feel as noted, I do not agree with everything above.

Bollinger

Strengths:  "Bleeds green", very familiar with program, well-respected, already "knows" what should be done to improve athletics at UND (including the development of a better working relationship with the Ralph), could be "up and running" quickly.       

Challenges (real or perceived):  No AD experience, little true administrative experience (a very important function of the job), hockey faction may associate him too much with football, Kupchalla may associate him with being pro-DI as the FB coaches would like to move to IAA tomorrow if they could (I think Rob is taking the right approach - do our due diligence NOW to see if a move up makes sense in the future), the administration may want a "fresh face" with new ideas, Rob is too valuable to lose as the primary fund raiser for athletics.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND Fan:

Do you have any insight into why Ray Purpur did not apply? Do you see an indoor practice facility/track as the highest priority item in the athletic department? If not, what is: budgetary issues, administrative needs? Did Roger’s lack of hockey background hurt him as A.D.?

Lacking any real inside info, I’d be very much surprised if Bollinger is not selected. From a DI-AA football standpoint, Kupchella isn’t going to give it a go unless there is (a) finances and (b) a conference opportunity. What better A.D. to have than a football guy who has fundraising experience and has a reservoir of trust built up? Any alums with DI dreams knows Bollinger will be doing what he can make that dream a reality. If Bollinger says it can’t be done at this time, the alums will take Bollingers word for it.

I would tend to believe that bettering the relationship with the REA and REA Inc. would be the highest priority wouldn't it?  If you can really get that relationship open it would be a huge positive for the entire Ath Dept.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree - that should be at the top of the list!

So for those of you that have knowledge on the subject, at this point how do you think the REA has impacted UND and the UND Ath. Dept.?

IMO it's a huge plus having the facility for the school, but it has really stretched the Ath Dept. There is a lot more turmoil now all the time and bickering about everything. I think it has really put a strain on the school.

Being a long time GF resident I will always pull for the Alerus to succeed over the REA. Obviously I hope both do well but when they are fighting over the same things I hope the Alerus comes out better.

Please don't berate me for my feelings, but I am wondering how those of you who know the situation well feel it has impacted the school.

I have been a huge UND fan for a long time and I feel that if Rob doesn't get the AD job they have made a huge mistake. Rob knows what UND needs to get the program back on track, if you bring in two new faces for the AD job and the REA job it could take several months to get the backing of the community. Both programs need someone who the community and the alumni have the trust to turn both programs around. I have been talking to several people in the community and a lot of people feel if you put Rob as the AD and Tarek Howard in at REA, You have two people that bleed green and two people that want whats best for UND not the pocket book. I have had the pleasure to work with both of these guys on different boards and they both want what's best for UND.

GOOD LUCK TO BOTH ROB AND TAREK :silly:

Rob knows what UND needs to get the program back on track, if you bring in two new faces for the AD job and the REA job it could take several months to get the backing of the community. Both programs need someone who the community and the alumni have the trust to turn both programs around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What "programs" need to get "back on track" and "turned around"?

I didn't know UND/REA was headed in the wrong direction.

Although I would love to see Rob and Tarek get the job, it may also be good to get some fresh ideas into town. Maybe someone that can come in and sweep everything out and start in a strong new direction. Get the program on the track it should be on and look into the future. That being said maybe Rob and Tarek will do this and I hope so, but let's not count everyone else out yet.

I wish someone would go to the meetings and ask what the prospects feel is the most important issue facing the AD at this point. If he doesn't say REA then ask about that relationship and what he feels needs to be done at this point.

I would but I do not live in town and I'm not about to drive 11 hours when someone else can do it for me!

He didn't say anything about the relationship with REA in there although I'm sure he just doesn't want to ruffle any feathers at this point. It would be interesting though if someone asked them about the relationship and their feelings at this point.

It would be cool if (and maybe they have and I just missed it) the Herald could do a capsule on each candidate. Maybe even get a little Q&A with them. Although maybe that would go against the School trying to do the interviews itself???

He didn't say anything about the relationship with REA in there although I'm sure he just doesn't want to ruffle any feathers at this point. It would be interesting though if someone asked them about the relationship and their feelings at this point.

It would be cool if (and maybe they have and I just missed it) the Herald could do a capsule on each candidate. Maybe even get a little Q&A with them. Although maybe that would go against the School trying to do the interviews itself???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can assure you that Rob fully understands that the relationship and cooperation between the Athletic Department and the Ralph must improve. I am sure that, for political reasons, he isn't going to mention it in his comments but I am also sure that is what he would say if he was asked that question.

I thought the deal was when they built the Ralph, that REA Inc. would operate it for three years to ensure that it was profitable, then gift it to the university.  Did something change, or am I just totally confused?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know any of the details of the deal, but I do not believe that they can gift it back to UND without some ramifications. State law prohibits alcohol on state property. So if UND owns the REA, there go the liquor sales and the two clubs would have to be changed into barbershops/tanning salons, or some other activity.