SiouxSports.com Forum

AD Canidates

sokarcrazy

I'm sorry feel free to jump all over me for my typo  :glare:

Anyhow the UND athletic website noted that another candidates is being brought in for a interview.  Anyone know anything about him?

thoughts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Word at the Sioux scrimmage Saturday was that the committee gave Kupchella two names and he told them he wanted three.

If they bring in another candiadate, I would think it is the guy from West Point who is an assistant AD there. He is a West Point grad. He was in Columbus at the Frozen Four talking to some key people. Seemed like a nice guy.

Grand Forks folks were also saying Harmeson seems to be hurting Bollinger's chances. That is what I would expect from an administrative type. I would hope he is smart enough to know that the Alumni will remember that and when Kupchella moves on he will be moved out quickly. I would hope Harmeson and those close to him do not continue to say anything about Bollinger that isn't complimentary. Rob is a great guy and would be an excellent AD. If there is someone better they can should hire them. I have no problem if someone prefers another candidate but I would hope they would support their choice based on that person's merits rather than Rob not having AD experience. Being the faculty rep doesn't make Harmeson anymore of an expert than any of the rest of us. Being Kupchella's gopher doesn't make him an expert either. I would wonder if he was ever an athlete or coach. He is entitled to his opinion, but I hope he understands many people are disappointed by what is perceived as undermining Bollinger's chances. Bollinger has excellent experience in some of the key areas especially fundraising and team building. Maybe there is someone better, but Rob is an excellent candidate as well and I think thus far would be the best choice. My opinion is not anymore than that but I have nothing bad to say about the other candidates and Rob qualifies based on his record not what someone else did or didn't do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to sound sarcastic but... people who met Kupcake during his candidacy said the same thing about his charm.

The fact is that the candidate that most embodies Kupchella's ideals will get the job. That's my prediction. And that means bad news for the students.

Thank Parise I have graduated.

Edited by redwing77

Does anyone know why was Buning in Columbus? At that point it didn't really seem it would come to where everything is now? Also, I always thought Harmeson was a good guy to have on our side (athletic fans)....had Kups changed his attitude and outlook? Unforunate if he is the one who stops Bollinger from being the AD.

Great Job iramurphy, well said. :glare:

Their is alot of talk around town that Phil H and a few other people have made comments about ROB. I feel this is very unprofessional on his part and this should be looked into regardless who gets the AD job. Rob B has given over 25 years of his life to do whats best for UND. If ROB is offered the job I don't think he is going to have to go back home and talk to his family about taking the job or not. I know alot of people that have talked to ROB and they all say the samething , all Rob want's is tobe the next AD at the UNIVERSITY NORTH DAKOTA ( HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX) GOOD LUCK ROB!!!

GOOD QUESTION RD17 :glare:

I know Phil H was a huge supporter of Purpur. I guess I don't understand why he is saying these things also. I heard that Phil's wife also had made a comment regarding Rob. I understand why their might be some people within the athletic department making some comment's ,because I think a few people fear for their job if Rob becomes the new AD.

GOOD QUESTION RD17 :glare:

I know Phil H was a huge supporter of Purpur. I guess I don't understand why he is saying these things also. I heard that Phil's wife also had made a comment regarding Rob. I understand why their might be some people within the athletic department making some comment's ,because I think a few people fear for their job if Rob becomes the new AD.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is my understanding that he doesnt' feel Rob has the necessary administrative experience. I heard the same comment that someone close to Harmeson had made comments that were not complimentary to Bollinger. It is probably best to leave it at that. I also heard that Harmeson was very excited to have Purpur apply and seemed to be a supporter of Purpur. Those of you in GF may know more.

I believe Buning was in Columbus to meet with key UND people. I do not nor did I ask specific questions. I visited with him for about 5 minutes. He is a West Point Grad, articulate and seemed like a nice guy. I hope Bollinger gets the job and this guy could be his assisstant.

For what it is worth I would not say that about Kupchella. I do not find him personable. Kendall Baker and his wife were at Columbus for the frozen four wearing their Sioux apparel and greeted me and others warmly. I hdd not seen him since he left UND and I was out of the country for about 5 yrs. Yet he still remembered me and others. I have met Kupchella on a number of occasions and have had dinner with hem and he still wouldn't know me from Randy Moss. Not that I am anyone other than a loyal UND alumnus and will do what I can to help UND or UND students, but somehow Ken Baker remembered and Kuppy has no clue. Kuppy is bright but it tells me something about his priorities and personality. Therefore I would not have then, nor would I today, compare him favorably with Tom Buning as far as his demeanor.

By the way, what exactly is Harmeson's position other than acting AD?

Great Job iramurphy, well said. :glare: 

Their is alot of talk around town that Phil H and a few other people have made comments about ROB. I feel this is very unprofessional on his part and this should be looked into regardless who gets the AD job. Rob B  has given over 25 years of his life to do whats best for UND. If ROB is offered the job I don't think he is going to have to go back home and talk to his family about taking the job or not. I know alot of people that have talked to ROB and they all say the samething , all Rob want's is tobe the next AD at the UNIVERSITY NORTH DAKOTA ( HOME OF THE FIGHTING SIOUX) GOOD LUCK ROB!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The chairman of the search committee has a responsibility for him and the committee to be as objective as possible. If supporters of Rob are approaching him and lobbying for Rob, it would seem to be his responsibility to pour some cold water on that kind of talk. This may especially be the case if Harmeson himself considers Bollinger the best candidate - the last thing he wants is for himself or community pressure to put undue influence on the other search committee members. If this is Harmeson's behavior, it is honorable and he is behaving as an executive should. If Harmeson is airing dirty laundry (which I doubt), that is another issue.

I should probably stay out of this, but it would be nice if those who have come here to lobby for their favorite AD candidate by casting dispersions upon Phil Harmeson would understand that he, too, has a family and has served UND long and well. It might also be a good idea if they knew something about him, his history in athletics and his job before portraying him in a less than honorable light. I'm certain that Harmeson intends to do what he feels is in the best interest of the university. To insinuate otherwise is silly.

I should probably stay out of this, but it would be nice if those who have come here to lobby for their favorite AD candidate by casting dispersions upon Phil Harmeson would understand that he, too, has a family and has served UND long and well. It might also be a good idea if they knew something about him, his history in athletics and his job before portraying him in a less than honorable light. I'm certain that Harmeson intends to do what he feels is in the best interest of the university. To insinuate otherwise is silly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not positive what you mean. I was in Grand Forks and had heard from a number of people from Grand Forks that Harmeson was making it clear to some of those folks he felt Bollinger didn't have the AD experience that he felt was needed. I was also led to believe that that opinion in view of Harmeson's position as acting AD and search committee member was potential stumbling blocjk to Bollinger. These were people who have been strong UND supporters, not necessarily Bollinger supporters. I do not believe that is appropriate for the committtee members to be voicing these opinions publicly. That belongs at the committee discussions. The public comments are for wags like us who have our own thoughts and opinions. I am not here to lobby. I sent a letter to the appropriate people with my opinion. I have no comments to make about anyone's family and haven't. I wondered if what I had heard was true and other posters seemed to provide evidence that this was so. If I am convinced there is anything in-appropriate I will speak to Harmeson and Kupchella myself.

I may know more about Harmeson than you think, but this isn't about him. It is about the AD candidates. I think it is valid to question how committeee members, working for the tax payer, conduct themselves during the course of their job. I wanted to be clear on exactly what his job and title are and was given a nice reference.

I believe it is relevant to know someone's background and how they might view UND and UND athletics. If a person went to school here, I believe they are more likely to develop loyalty to the school and athletic programs than if they didn't. I agree it is important to be careful what we say and keep it from getting too personal. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for your thoughts.

What was the knock on Roger Thomas? (Sorry Roger.) Great guy. Great with alumni. Great with teams and coaches. Questionable administrator.

What's a stated goal for this new hire? Best candidate. Criteria are strong administrator, a funds raiser, runs a competitive at the highest levels "clean" program, and good facilities manager.

This latest fellow (link above) seems to have some "cred" in those areas:

Buning is in his fourth year as an associate athletic director at Army. During his tenure, he has helped incorporate more than $200 million in combined government and gift funds into a comprehensive athletic facilities enhancement program.

He also is the director of a number of athletic support services, including event management and staffing, team support and athletic equipment operations.

Buning is a 1981 West Point graduate and earned his master's degree in engineering management from the University of Missouri-Rolla in 1994.

... also is a former world class athlete in the pentathlon, having twice qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials.

Based on criteria, he seems like a fellow that should be met in person and evaluated for the position.

What else does it say in there?

"This is a mechanism to validate we're heading down the right trail."

"We're making sure we cover all the ground to get the best person for the position."

"We want to be confident in our decision."

"None of the three candidates has flaws that are fatal."

All of those quotes were from UND's Senior Associate to the President, the UND Faculty Athletic Representative to the NCAA, the man who was in all of the meetings that led to the hiring of the first-year hockey coach that took his team to the NCAA title game, the current acting Athletic Director, and chair of the committee to hire a new Athletic Director: Phil Harmeson, JD (University of North Dakota).

Harmeson is a bright and savvy guy, and a lawyer. I would truly be shocked if he made disparaging comments about any candidate in any context or forum. He knows and understands the ramifications of that.

My suspicion is (no proof, just gut from interactions with him) is that folks approach Harmeson rabidly in favor of "their candidate" and Harmeson is cool to their approach and enthusiasm. That's not wrong. As a matter of fact, that's wholely appropriate on his part. If he were to show that same enthusiasm for any particular candidate what would be our perceptions of the process? Think about it.

Harmeson's job is to oversee the process, an unbiased process, to acquire the best candidate for the job.

Let Harmenson and his search committee do their jobs: find and recommend the best people for the job.

If they want the budget to be in line year in and year out, my vote would go to someone who is not affiliated with UND now or ever was. We have seen how that goes when the AD knows everyone in the department. Just like we saw how it went when we brought in a outsider and the budget was in the black every year. :glare:

Sometime they need to be an asshole and tell the people no, your taking a bus and no, your not staying over that extra night.

And then there were four ....

As instructed by Kupchella, the candidates were not ranked by the committee. Kupchella only asked the committee to forward three to five candidates for his consideration.
- Lt. Col. Tom Buning, West Point (Army) associate athletic director

- John McCarthy, the athletic director of Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla

- Rob Bollinger, the development officer for the UND Alumni Association and Foundation

- Al Molde, the Gustavus Adolphus athletic director

"It's now totally in (Kupchella's) hands," UND interim athletic director Phil Harmeson said.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/11529190.htm

If they want the budget to be in line year in and year out, my vote would go to someone who is not affiliated with UND now or ever was.  We have seen how that goes when the AD knows everyone in the department.  Just like we saw how it went when we brought in a outsider and the budget was in the black every year.  ;)

Sometime they need to be an asshole and tell the people no, your taking a bus and no, your not staying over that extra night.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they have 3 pretty decent candidates. I would prefer Bollinger and I liked Buning. Molde won't be around that long.

Any of the four will have the ability to say no. The mistake that Wanless made was that he didn't feel it was his job to raise money and therefore did not ahve a good relationsip with enough Alumni and former athletes. He did some things very well at a difficult time. I liked Roger but he may have been such a nice guy that he had difficulty dealing with the previous REA guy (when that guy wasn't in the back seat of some car in the parking lot with a Bimbo or making off with REA profits) and difficult subordinates.

The new AD would be smarter to assign the admin duties to his staff. The leadership duties and team building will be his top priorities and that will include fundraising. He will need to solve the REA dilemma, improve the relationsip with the city and UND students, work with Kupchella and his staff to improve their relationships with students, Alumni, and the regional businesses who support UND.

If you are doing a good enough job raising $$$ you won't need to make your teams operate on shoestring budgets and wil be able to reward them at times with an overnight instead of an all night bus trip. Bollinger has raised millions of $$$ and has a strong backing among those who have thick wallets. Buning seems like the type of guy who has the personality to eventually do that. I don't now anything about the other guys. It will be interesting.