SiouxSports.com Forum

AD Canidates

sokarcrazy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, timbo, release the caps lock key, step away from the keyboard, and keep your hands in plain sight. ;) ;)

Read the "Herald" link (above) and you'll have what the rest of us have. I'd guess we'll hear a name by probably May 13 if they hope to have someone in place for the NCC meetings at the end of May.

I hope Rob gets the job, he brings alot to the table for the community. When talking to Rob he alway's want's what's best for UND and the fan. It could take some time for the community to build the trust in two new people. I have heard they really like the guy from seattle for the REA job, and if that happens it could be a fun couple of years for the fan. Let's just hope the pres make's the correct choice for the fan. Because it could come back and bite him in tha A--.

GOOD LUCK ROB!!!!!

At the same time, let's remember that there are other reasons to choose a particular AD besides picking one who will work for the 'fan.' I'd guess a few other key ingredients need to be present in a candidate to make him the best choice.... Not saying someone who is 'for the fan' is bad or not necessary, but I'd hope the candidate would be chosen for something a bit more important.

At the same time, let's remember that there are other reasons to choose a particular AD besides picking one who will work for the 'fan.' I'd guess a few other key ingredients need to be present in a candidate to make him the best choice.... Not saying someone who is 'for the fan' is bad or not necessary, but I'd hope the candidate would be chosen for something a bit more important.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You left out a very important part of DFS's post. He/she said "UND and the fan" (fans).

I am not trying to lobby for Bollinger because I have stated my opinion.

To clear up misconceptions of those who have not coached or been part of an athletic department Rob has been functioning as an assisstant AD for years and has been very successful at it. The assistant AD in Fargo with similar duties is Inniger. No one would say he has no experience, yet I read where some posters think that because this position at UND is with the Alumni office, it wouldn't count as AD experience. At the bigger Universities around the country this is a typical duty of one of the assistant AD's.

Because a candidate is very good working with people and well liked does not mean they can't make difficult decisions or work with difficult people. The assistant AD's make those decisions all of the time, so all of the candidates should have experience doing just that. I think all four of them do.

If folks don't realize the importance of the fans, students and Alumni then I am not sure they understand modern day Intercollegiate athletics. Read the thousands of posts on this site and I would think one might change their mind. People want their opinion to matter and if your AD makes you think your opinion is important then you are much more likely to donate, support the University, cooperate with projects or plans, donate your time or attend athletic events.

I respectfully disagree if you meant to say that there are more important things in chosing the AD than the people skills, but I disagree. If you don't have the people skills you won't get people to listen beyond the superficial BS. It isn't the only thing by a long shot, but whether we are looking for a new AD, new coach, new president of our University or a CEO for our company these people skills are of paramount importance.

I agree that people skills are important, and I in no way meant to say that they aren't. What I was trying to say is that I think that any candidate we have would already be for the fan, and that we should be using other characteristics and qualities to set them apart at this point.

With that being said, I actually can think of some potential qualities that would trump people skills in importance. I am of the opinion that if any of the candidates really are terrible at people skills (which i doubt since these candidates made it past heavy screening - if they didn't have people skills they wouldn't even be in the running) that such skills can at least somewhat be taught. What you can't teach someone is just plain intelligence, however. Either you have it, and have through the years added to it, or you don't. I'm not speaking to any particular candidate having or not having a high level of intelligence. I am merely trying to point out the fact that some qualities are essential for this kind of operation and that others can be taught. It's the same as saying you can teach a kid to shoot a basket but you can't teach them to be tall...If they're born tall, they already have an advantage. Couple that with increased skills learning and they should arguably have the upper hand. That's the best example I can come up with. Hope this makes some sense.

I agree that people skills are important, and I in no way meant to say that they aren't. What I was trying to say is that I think that any candidate we have would already be for the fan, and that we should be using other characteristics and qualities to set them apart at this point.

With that being said, I actually can think of some potential qualities that would trump people skills in importance. I am of the opinion that if any of the candidates really are terrible at people skills (which i doubt since these candidates made it past heavy screening - if they didn't have people skills they wouldn't even be in the running) that such skills can at least somewhat be taught. What you can't teach someone is just plain intelligence, however. Either you have it, and have through the years added to it, or you don't. I'm not speaking to any particular candidate having or not having a high level of intelligence. I am merely trying to point out the fact that some qualities are essential for this kind of operation and that others can be taught. It's the same as saying you can teach a kid to shoot a basket but you can't teach them to be tall...If they're born tall, they already have an advantage. Couple that with increased skills learning and they should arguably have the upper hand. That's the best example I can come up with. Hope this makes some sense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It does. Well said.