2004-05 All-WCHA Second Team

P Name Team Hgt Wgt Yr Hometown Pts

F Gabe Gauthier Denver 5-9 185 Jr Buena Park, CA 193

F Evan Schwabe Minnesota Duluth 5-9 165 Sr Moose Jaw, SK 170

F Robbie Earl Wisconsin 6-0 189 So Los Angeles, CA 123

D Lars Helminen Michigan Tech 5-7 180 So Brighton, MI 181

D Mark Stuart Colorado College 6-2 218 Jr Rochester, MN 172

G Bernd Br

That's bunk. Spirko was a stud this year. I wanna think that it was on account of the sioux being more of a mediocre team this year than it was a snub at spirko's play. i think he was more than a spark plug for this team. how many freshman can produce the way he's produced, especially on a team that struggled with scoring all year. It's too bad about this, but on the plus side... congrats to Zajac for living up to the hype. IMO, that is the only reason why spirko was punished.

I don't have a problem with most of the selections, but how does Matt Jones end up on 3rd team behind a player from MTU, the worst team in the league? Jones is the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman in the league behind Skinner and maybe Stuart.

I also have a problem with the goaltender choices, especially Ellsworth over Parise and Lamoureaux. Parise is .913 and 2.25, Lamoreaux .915 and 2.19. Ellsworth is 3.23 and .916. Also, Lamoureaux should be ahead of Nate Lawson who is 3.32 and .916.

I don't have a problem with most of the selections, but how does Matt Jones end up on 3rd team behind a player from MTU, the worst team in the league?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As the ever-wise Sicatoka pointed out to me, it's all about the Woog fetish with offensive-defensemen. That's the only way to explain Mark Stuart being named defensive player of the year while not making first team All-WCHA.

I don't have a problem with most of the selections, but how does Matt Jones end up on 3rd team behind a player from MTU, the worst team in the league? Jones is the 2nd or 3rd best defenseman in the league behind Skinner and maybe Stuart.

I also have a problem with the goaltender choices, especially Ellsworth over Parise and Lamoureaux. Parise is .913 and 2.25, Lamoreaux .915 and 2.19. Ellsworth is 3.23 and .916. Also, Lamoureaux should be ahead of Nate Lawson who is 3.32 and .916.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that Hak should have been coach of the year and the first line should have been all on the 1st team :lol:

As the ever-wise Sicatoka pointed out to me, it's all about the Woog fetish with offensive-defensemen. That's the only way to explain Mark Stuart being named defensive player of the year while not making first team All-WCHA.

That's the only possible explanation of both Stuart and Jones.

And for the record, the "Official SiouxSports.com Spokesman for Everyone (except CoteauRinkRat, resident insurgent)" just admitted he gets his "ever-wise" insights from me. :lol:

However, I'll let him keep talking for the rest of you. :D

I think Paul Stastny and Joe Pavelski both belong on the WCHA all-rookie team. Stastny led all league freshmen in points per game with 1.14 (15-26-41 in 36 games) and Pavelski was right behind him with 1.13 (16-28-44 in 39 games).

Spirko was third among WCHA rookies with .89 points per game (15-19-34 in 38 games) and Zajac was fourth with .84 (15-17-32 in 38 games).

In my mind, Spirko was a bit more consistent offensively than Zajac, especially down the stretch when the team really needed scoring. But Zajac is an all-around better player.

When it came time to choose between the two, Zajac's pre-season hype and status as a number-one NHL draft pick probably gave him the edge with voters.

Those look like accurate selections.  Earl on the 2nd team.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think that this is the biggest question mark I have with the selections. It sucks not to have UND more represented, sure, but it wasn't unforseen. Robbie Earl, however, does not belong where he is. Third team, sure, but second team, no. However, this is based largely on stats. If this was a popularity contest based on stats and sportsmanship, I doubt Earl would even make third team.

Elsworth holds one thing over JPar and Phil that cannot be avoided: More games. Elsworth started a great majority of MTU's games. And, as the record dictates, they stunk. Holding a GAA in the low 3s and a Save% over .9 just shows what kind of a year he's had despite the fact that the team stinks all around him. How would this translate if he were on a team like Minnesota or UND? Not sure, but I'm sure with the numbers he put up and the defenses UND and UMN have, I'm pretty sure that he would have displaced McElhinney as first team AND goalie of the year.

And yes, the WCHA is deep in talent. If Spirko and Genoway were in the CCHA, I'm sure they'd make the top teams of that conference.

As for the rationale behind Spirko vs Zajac vs Pavelski, I defer to the person who accurately speaks for me, PCM. :D

maybe i'm the only one who doesn't see this as such a bad thing this year. When we are playin our game like we have been the past month, i feel this is the most dangerous type of team to play. There is not one player on the team right now that an opponent can concentrate on, i mean did anyone else notice for fourth line on the ice with under 3 minutes left? These awards are stats races, and with not one player on the team over 40 points this year everyone should of known it would of turned out this way.(depending on if genoway had 2 points tonight, i know he had a goal, but not sure about an assist). Also no UND goalie will ever win an award when they split time 50/50, just the way it is. But now its time to concentrate on gettin some revenge on those damn pioneers!!!!!!!!!