SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Vannelli

Marty

As I watched the 2nd period of the Mavs vs. Gophers I saw Mike Vannelli take a guy down after the whistle and push his head into the ice. The Mavs player skated into the crease but was skating away from the goalie who had frozen the puck. To my astonishment Campion gave not only Vannelli a penalty but the Mavs player as well, but that is a topic for another thread.

I was at the game earlier this season when Vannelli instigated a fight against Rory McMahon, and McMahon beat the living day lights out of him. Yes, McMahon did win that fight. I have the video and McMahon clearly lands more punches.

Tell me, is there a bigger hockey goon in the WCHA or anywhere else?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I watched the 2nd period of the Mavs vs. Gophers I saw Mike Vannelli take a guy down after the whistle and push his head into the ice.  The Mavs player skated into the crease but was skating away from the goalie who had frozen the puck.  To my astonishment Campion gave not only Vannelli a penalty but the Mavs player as well, but that is a topic for another thread.

I was at the game earlier this season when Vannelli instigated a fight against Rory McMahon, and McMahon beat the living day lights out of him.  Yes, McMahon did win that fight.  I have the video and McMahon clearly lands more punches.

Tell me, is there a bigger hockey goon in the WCHA or anywhere else?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, um, by your own analysis, um, McMahon? :huh::lol:

As I watched the 2nd period of the Mavs vs. Gophers I saw Mike Vannelli take a guy down after the whistle and push his head into the ice.  The Mavs player skated into the crease but was skating away from the goalie who had frozen the puck.  To my astonishment Campion gave not only Vannelli a penalty but the Mavs player as well, but that is a topic for another thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I happened to catch that particular play on TV at the Ralph. I, too, was amazed that Campion gave the Mankato player a penalty. As far as I could tell, the Land Cow player didn't do anything other than abuse the ice with his face.

Please watch the entire play before you make your judgement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox showed the play at least two times in slow motion. When it happened live, I saw the Maverick player do nothing that warranted a penalty. I watched the replay closely to see what he did to set Vanelli off. I didn't see him do anything that justified what Vanelli did to to him. At the very least, Vanelli deserved a double minor for roughing.

Face it, every team has goons, it would not be hockey otherwise. Do you want to watch a bunch of little girl hockey without the occasional "bad" hit? I have yet to see ANY team not have a player or two that makes/takes "stupid" penalties during the course of the year. Not condoning stupid/dangerous hits, but it happens, ask anyone who has played.

WPoS

Face it, every team has goons, it would not be hockey otherwise.  Do you want to watch a bunch of little girl hockey without the occasional "bad" hit?  I have yet to see ANY team not have a player or two that makes/takes "stupid" penalties during the course of the year.  Not condoning stupid/dangerous hits, but it happens, ask anyone who has played.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hockey needs goons, I agree, but I don't want to see some headcase out there injuring other players. I like to see the occasional "bad" hit just as much as the other guy, but when you have goons like Vannelli who completely overreact it's not cool. Especially when he does it after the whistle.

Maybe using the term "goon" for Vannelli is inappropriate. Headcase would be a more of an appropriate label.

I never said that. Take off your Gopher jersey and be unbiased for once.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never disputed the comments about Vanelli (although I would not go so far as to say he's the "biggest" goon out there) and I've made plenty of complimentary comments about the Sioux at this web-site. As for my supposedly being biased, when was the last time you started a thread about a UND goon? :lol: