SiouxSports.com Forum

Mike Vannelli

Marty

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd take Peluso over Prpich any day. I like Mike, but he isn't contributing on the scoresheet like he should. If Peluso were a Sioux, the whole flow of this board would be at his defense and our record would be improved by 2 or 3 wins and wouldn't be playing the play-in game at the Final Five. Is he cheap, yes. Is he a goon, no. That being said, I'm OK with Prpich bitch-slapping Earl all over the ice on Thursday night.

Also, you can't lable Matt Greene a goon either. Anyone ever see someone attempt to fight him? Even at universities with low academic performance for athletes like SCSU and Mn, nobody's stupid enough to try.

I'll only take issue with your comment about Prpich not scoring the way he should. I don't know if you have seen the other posts where I've detailed goals scored by the 9 guys who have played forward on our last 2 lines, but Prpich currently has scored 7 of the 16 goals scored by that group, and recently had 7 of 12. He's a 3rd line forward, playing with other players who have been woefully short of offense this past year. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say that Prpich is playing to his full capability (I think he is) but his role as a checker, and the lack of offensively gifted linemates would seem to be a factor of his overall production that should be taken into account.

unfortunatly, I have been seeing some of that cheap stuff going on at Gopher games and it bugs me.  We used to be a more "finesse" team than thugy (that used to be UND  :0 ).  That stupid hit here and there is getting old, and as for a few of the players that do that, I would love to see coach do something about it.  It got us a 6X3 last game and it wasn't fun.

That all said, the BADgers ARE the worst that I have seen all year, followed by the Landcows...lots of high stickwork by both teams and clutch/grab play....

WPoS

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, you may have to live with it as it is part of Lucy's style to win dirty if necessary. He was that way at CC and he has even openly encouraged Vanilla to bring out the dirty edge like his father within the media. Thats okay, because when the opporutnity presents itself, I enjoy nothing more than watching one of our Canadian Prairie Boys giving a Goofer hack a little attitude adjusment.

You know, I really don't care that much about a team that plays on the edge a bit. I like to rip on them for it though! But most of that is made of exaggeration because every team has guys that play a little chippy. It's true that some teams may have more than other, but every team has them.

However, I'll hold Lucia's team to a higher standard because of the little rip he gave the Sioux after the Vannelli/McMahon set-to. Something like "Isn't it funny that every time there's a fight in the league UND is involved".

It's a fine line between being a team that is chippy and has an edge vs. being a team that is goon like and thuggish. It's one of those things that you know it when you see it. The most glorious example of a team that crossed that line is the Ferris St. crew from '02-'03.

Teams that get close to the line without crossing are usually very successful, such as the recent Demarchi led Gophers teams, Blake/Commodore Sioux teams, any Maine/Michigan team, the '02 DU team, etc....

This years Gophers are not anywhere near as physically imposing (read that as cheap if it helps you) as there recent teams. The only defensive player that likes to initiate physical play was Hagemo and I think he has had to back off since injuring his shoulder. I guess Harrington will hit someone now and then, but it is usually so far away from the puck it's just interference. I see this as potentially the Gophers biggest problem in the playoffs.

It's a fine line between being a team that is chippy and has an edge vs. being a team that is goon like and thuggish.  It's one of those things that you know it when you see it.  The most glorious example of a team that crossed that line is the Ferris St. crew from '02-'03.

Teams that get close to the line without crossing are usually very successful, such as the recent Demarchi led Gophers teams, Blake/Commodore Sioux teams, any Maine/Michigan team, the '02 DU team, etc....

This years Gophers are not anywhere near as physically imposing (read that as cheap if it helps you) as there recent teams.  The only defensive player that likes to initiate physical play was Hagemo and I think he has had to back off since injuring his shoulder.  I guess Harrington will hit someone now and then, but it is usually so far away from the puck it's just interference.  I see this as potentially the Gophers biggest problem in the playoffs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you evoked the name Commodore. Was there another Sioux player as good at dishing out a Gopher attitude adjustment? He always delivered a very clear hands off Karl message when the rodents would take their liberties. However Gophers aren't intelligent enough to learn from the misadventures and misfortunes of their peers.

You are 100% correct.  I have never seen a cheaper program than the Gophers.  You can rip me all you want and say that I'm just saying that because I'm a Sioux fan, but if you actually take off your blinders and watch them play you will see it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wisssssssconnnnnnnnsiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Uh, actually UMDDogz was responding to the criticism that Peluso has no accomplishments in his career, not justifying the last 5 minutes of the game Saturday. I didn't even see the alleged cheap shot (against a true paragon of virtue, Matt Greene)

That was just the last cheap shot, he cheap shot 4-5 different players in the last 3 minutes, all classless attempts to start a fight, with the outcome decided. No respect here for the little punk.

That was just the last cheap shot, he cheap shot 4-5 different players in the last 3 minutes, all classless attempts to start a fight, with the outcome decided. No respect here for the little punk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point I'm trying to make, is that one period of dirty hockey does not classify someone as a goon. Peluso had a respectable career as a Bulldog and worked hard to improve his point totals every season. The fact that let his frustration get the best of him and end his career that way is sad, but nobody got hurt or suspended. Judging a player by his last period played as a senior is quite unfair, you know the seniors could see their season slipping away in that third period...a season that began with so much promise. It was tough to take as a Bulldog fan, and I'm sure it was 10x harder to take as a senior on that team. Peluso is noting close to a goon in my book.