SiouxSports.com Forum

Turf and Aquatics Center in GF

The Sicatoka

I hope it’s more than the few things mentioned it being

take a look at willistons facility and see what all it can be

i see the usuals are out complaining that it passed

it will definitely bring people to Gf and help GF grow

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I get what you're saying, but how creative can you get when it's a building with a pickleball court in it. :)  

I don't know.  Put the pickleball courts in the mall.  Work with UND to put an inflatable dome on the new softball field.  Connect the indoor soccer field to the south side of the Alerus so that it could potentially be used as extra convention space if the opportunity arrose.  Add a restaurant/bar space to service the Alerus and new rec facility.  Potentially look at adding some seating on the southern end of the Alerus at the same time.  UND still has a new aquatic center on its master plan, so the city could work with UND to attach the aquatic center on to the the wellness center.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't know.  Put the pickleball courts in the mall.  Work with UND to put an inflatable dome on the new softball field.  Connect the indoor soccer field to the south side of the Alerus so that it could potentially be used as extra convention space if the opportunity arrose.  Add a restaurant/bar space to service the Alerus and new rec facility.  Potentially look at adding some seating on the southern end of the Alerus at the same time.  UND still has a new aquatic center on its master plan, so the city could work with UND to attach the aquatic center on to the the wellness center.  

A lot of malls are putting pickle ball courts in them

thats why the city needs to get the mall and come up with ways to use it including retail stores 

it looks like hell now 

21 minutes ago, Kab said:

A lot of malls are putting pickle ball courts in them

thats why the city needs to get the mall and come up with ways to use it including retail stores 

it looks like hell now 

If the city builds a bunch of pickle ball courts, it would make projects like this from the private sector less feasable.  The city should really look into getting a company like this to open up at the mall.  Give them a bunch of tax incentives... way cheaper than just building it outright.  If that doesn't work, then build it using the sales tax.

image.thumb.png.409961531d7f9ad8c57e19e345c21a1e.png

• Upvote 1

Indoor Pickleball Coming to a Converted Mall Near You Capitalizing on a booming sport, billionaire financier to open 50 locations, the first in July. By Richard Berger | May 25, 2023 at 07:41 AM

In Lake St. Louis, a western suburb of St. Louis, the Paddle Up Pickleball Club plans to take over a former Bed, Bath & Beyond store.

In Concord, New Hampshire, the new 25,000-square-foot All-Stars Pickleball Club recently opened inside the space formerly occupied by Old Navy at the Steeplegate Mall.

In Stamford, Connecticut, a group plans to build a massive indoor pickleball venue at the site of a former Saks Off 5th in the Stamford Town Center shopping mall. Soon, the two-story, 80,000-square-foot space will include 28 pickleball courts, a cafe, a lounge and a childcare area, reports Richard Kaufman for the Stamford Patch.

And in Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, a new pickleball venue run by Proshot Pickleball recently opened at the former Burlington Coat Factory store inside the Harbor Square Shopping Center.

Other pickleball businesses are also eyeing shuttered retail spaces as they search for new court space. As long as former stores meet the specifications required for pickleball courts, they make “so much sense,” as Mary Cannon, co-founder of CityPickle, New York City’s first pickleball club, tells MarketWatch’s Charles Passy.

Pickleball, sports bar coming to Southridge Mall as planned health club's offerings expand

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If the city builds a bunch of pickle ball courts, it would make projects like this from the private sector less feasable.  The city should really look into getting a company like this to open up at the mall.  Give them a bunch of tax incentives... way cheaper than just building it outright.  If that doesn't work, then build it using the sales tax.

image.thumb.png.409961531d7f9ad8c57e19e345c21a1e.png

I just want the city to get the mall away from current owners so something good can come from the mall be it private or not 

I still think of the old wall mart I believe in devils lake and how nice that looks 

maybe GF needs an empty building tax to get things done , empty buildings are a hazard 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kab said:

I just want the city to get the mall away from current owners so something good can come from the mall be it private or not 

I still think of the old wall mart I believe in devils lake and how nice that looks 

maybe GF needs an empty building tax to get things done , empty buildings are a hazard 

was going to post something like this........couldn't the city get "dirty" with the owners of the mall........assess it at 1000% times it current value bc x,y, z reasons.  an eyesore tax...something that would awaken the owners and say it's time to sell?

I’m just glad the tax passed now get citizen input also on what they want 

don’t do a Betty and Alerus seating crap that Und did that leaves people scratching their heads

so things that are attractive and make sense 

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

was going to post something like this........couldn't the city get "dirty" with the owners of the mall........assess it at 1000% times it current value bc x,y, z reasons.  an eyesore tax...something that would awaken the owners and say it's time to sell?

Can @gfhockey buy it with all these offshore accounts that he has?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The vote to approve this passed last night.

Very surprised there wasn't more chat about it around here.

https://www.gfparks.org/feasibility-study/
https://www.grandforksgov.com/home/showpublisheddocument/48782/638288359119470000 

Love the designs for the pool.  Wow 50 meters will be a great leap forward for the community.  

Just now, gfhockey said:

It was an extension of the alerus Center tax. I don’t agree with it but I do think the aquatic center is needed. However, Y doesn’t need to be $100 million.

Who is going to fund the expenses after it gets going?

so sales tax stays the same...or goes up .75%?

On 11/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, nodak651 said:

Work with UND to put an inflatable dome on the new softball field. 

Connect the indoor soccer field to the south side of the Alerus so that it could potentially be used as extra convention space if the opportunity arrose.  Add a restaurant/bar space to service the Alerus and new rec facility.  

A bubble on "Albrecht Field" (if that's the planned name) takes away the patio (left field) experience. Make the new FB facility work, maybe by having a "bump-out". With a 6 foot outfield fence you only have to be about 200' down the line

The new indoor field doesn't need to be connected for extra convention space but close enough for an across the parking lot five minute back and forth shuttle would be smart. 

GF is limited on larger conventions due to number of restaurants. 

• 3 weeks later...