SiouxSports.com Forum

Turf and Aquatics Center in GF

The Sicatoka

On 11/17/2023 at 9:06 AM, The Sicatoka said:

A bubble on "Albrecht Field" (if that's the planned name) takes away the patio (left field) experience. Make the new FB facility work, maybe by having a "bump-out". With a 6 foot outfield fence you only have to be about 200' down the line

The new indoor field doesn't need to be connected for extra convention space but close enough for an across the parking lot five minute back and forth shuttle would be smart. 

GF is limited on larger conventions due to number of restaurants. 

And hotels I’m told for tournaments 

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Good point.  Wonder how GF ranks in hotel rooms per capita, compared to other cities.

If you read through the North Dakota high school activities, Association, #MIN, they aren’t giving us the class B girls basketball tournament anymore due to hotels

So, how exactly does this affect the Alerus Center?  Seems like all the money is going towards this new rec facility.  Are there any plans for how this tax extension will be used to keep the Alerus Center up to date?  I kinda feel like there is a little bit of a bait and switch, but that said, I don't know the details... anyone have any insight on this?
------------
NOVEMBER 14, 2023
SPECIAL ELECTION
The City of Grand Forks held a special election on November 14th, 2023 where citizens voted to extend the 3/4% sales tax currently collected for the Alerus Center beyond the 2029 sunset date and use those funds for both Alerus Center Capital Maintenance Projects and the construction of an indoor turf, aquatics & court facility. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:
So, how exactly does this affect the Alerus Center?  Seems like all the money is going towards this new rec facility.  Are there any plans for how this tax extension will be used to keep the Alerus Center up to date?  I kinda feel like there is a little bit of a bait and switch, but that said, I don't know the details... anyone have any insight on this?
------------
NOVEMBER 14, 2023
SPECIAL ELECTION
The City of Grand Forks held a special election on November 14th, 2023 where citizens voted to extend the 3/4% sales tax currently collected for the Alerus Center beyond the 2029 sunset date and use those funds for both Alerus Center Capital Maintenance Projects and the construction of an indoor turf, aquatics & court facility. 

A portion of the 3/4% sales tax will continue to support the the Alerus Center capital improvement needs, but the majority will go towards quality of life projects which is mainly the aquatics and turf complex.   

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

A portion of the 3/4% sales tax will continue to support the the Alerus Center capital improvement needs, but the majority will go towards quality of life projects which is mainly the aquatics and turf complex.   

Now I know!  Appreciate the information.