SiouxSports.com Forum

2005 North Dakota State Hockey Tournament

Wilbur

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone from Grand Forks, I would have thought there would be a little more humility from some of the GF posters on this thread. A school like Red River, with the numbers of youth playing hockey in its district (and the relative affluence of their parents), should be absolutely dominating in the region, not just in North Dakota, but in Region 8 in Minnesota. Yet annually they struggle to beat a school 1/4 the size of it: EGF. The question that should be asked, in my mind, is: why can’t GF schools be annually competitive with much smaller schools like Roseau and Warroad?

As far as the West being weaker than the East: certainly that is true. But isn’t that more a function of depth than top-line talent? Even the GFC players stated they upped their level of play to the best they’ve been, and without an unlucky goal, Bismarck could have beaten Red River. Teams with players that can sleep in their own beds (GFC, GFRR, GPR) will perform better.

Arguably, the only “deserving” eastern team that is not at state is Fargo North. Here’s a ratings service at USHSHO.COM Of the top 8 rated hockey teams rated by this system (which includes strength of schedule), seven of the teams are at state.

RANK TEAM W L T GmPerf Sched Total Last 5 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1,Minot,ND,___________________________ 19 0 1, 2.9, 8.5, 11.49, 11.75 W

2,Grand Forks Red River,ND,___________ 11 7 1, 0.8, 10.0, 10.84, 10.30 E

3,Fargo South,ND,_____________________ 13 7 1, 0.8, 9.7, 10.46, 10.49 E 4,Grafton,ND,_________________________ 14 5 0, 1.4, 8.9, 10.27, 10.61 E

5,Grand Forks Central,ND,_____________ 11 8 1, 0.5, 9.6, 10.06, 9.92 E

6,Bismarck High,ND,___________________ 12 8 0, 0.6, 8.6, 9.22, 8.28 W

7,Fargo North,ND,_____________________ 11 9 2, -0.5, 9.5, 9.06, 8.75 E 8,Williston,ND,_______________________ 15 5 1, 1.1, 7.8, 8.94, 8.14 W 9,Jamestown,ND,_______________________ 10 10 0, -0.2, 8.2, 7.97, 8.10 E

10,Bismarck Century,ND,________________ 9 11 1, -0.2, 8.0, 7.79, 7.82 W 11,Hazen,ND,___________________________ 11 9 2, 0.5, 7.2, 7.70, 6.83 W

12,Devils Lake,ND,_____________________ 6 10 3, -0.7, 7.9, 7.13, 8.42 W 13,Mandan,ND,__________________________ 10 11 0, 0.0, 7.1, 7.10, 7.14 W

14,West Fargo,ND,______________________ 4 15 1, -1.4, 8.4, 7.07, 6.97 E

15,Fargo Shanley,ND,___________________ 6 15 0, -1.5, 7.1, 5.61, 5.41 E 16,Dickinson,ND,_______________________ 3 16 1, -2.1, 6.8, 4.77, 5.71 W 17,Wahpeton,ND,________________________ 2 20 0, -2.6, 6.5, 3.90, 3.40 E 18,Bottineau,ND,_______________________ 0 17 1, -3.0, 6.6, 3.58, 3.05 W

I see Bismarck High and Williston winning today.  Williston is at least excited to still be a part of a state tournament, the Minot kids don't give a $hit.  I bet if you talked to a majority of the Fargo North players they would be thrilled to be still playing hockey, the Minot players need a reality check.... :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think u should stop focusing on the LOSERS bracket and talk about the games that matter

If you have Minot going to the final then 5th is the best that Central could do. You heard it here first, it will be an all Grand Forks final with RR barely edging out Central. Minot can't win a title unless they face another West team in the final, which won't happen again until Halley's comet shows up the same year that the Vikings win the SuperBowl. South won't win because they are too arrogant and full of themselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God I love it when I am right. If South's motto last offseason was 46 seconds, I got a suggestion for the coming offseason, how about 102 minutes? That is how far away they were this year. They are actually getting farther and farther away from their goal. Red River was clearly the better team tonight. I counted three posts by Red River. That game could have been 5-0 after the first period. Though I suppose that DaveK will think that they were all fluke goals by Red River. Apparently anytime someone scores a goal against South it is a fluke.

South may have some good hockey players but there is one thing that they will never have, TRADITION. You can run as many kids as you want through the Flyers or Raiders youth programs, but the bottom line is once you get to the high school state tourney, it is all Grand Forks. It always has been that way, and it always will be that way.

It should be a fun game to watch.  The GFC / Red River matchup is always a fun game to see whenever they play, but really exciting when its for the state chamionship.

Marto has continued to impress me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i think this is what went down: there was a scrum in front of the net in which souths #14 Grant Larson(a very impressive player) started hacking or pushing RR goalie eric Olson. Cory Cink the savage that he is decides he doesnt like that and wants it to stop so he proceddes to throw him down by the head and his helmet falls off and head hits the ice. at this time Larson gets up and apparently tries to spit on Cink and they get into a shoving match. after its over helmetless Larson starts freaking out, banging his stick on the ice and yelling obsenities. a lot of emotion in that game and which made it fun to watch. Great High School hockey good luck tomarrow