SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 ND High School Hockey

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

There are some excellent goalies on the girls side this season.  Sorlie, Seeley, Ackerman, just to name a few.  I've seen Seeley quite a bit this season.  Good goaltender, even better kid.

Going to fun to follow Seeley to Concordia.  I saw Ackerman just committed to Minot State and Sorlie is going to Arizona acha I believe.  Good stuff…

final week of girls regular season.  The bottom 6-8 is an absolute dog fight.  There’s so many possibilities it’s impossible to make up.  I think Dickinson is the only team that doesn’t have a mathematical chance to qualify…

Minot came out of nowhere to put themselves right there.  Both Bismarck teams are gonna need points this week.  DL, Jamestown Williston all right there…gong show. 

Edit: I lied Dickinson is still mathematically in it with 3 games this week.  They took 6 points off Davies yesterday. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Going to fun to follow Seeley to Concordia.  I saw Ackerman just committed to Minot State and Sorlie is going to Arizona acha I believe.  Good stuff…

final week of girls regular season.  The bottom 6-8 is an absolute dog fight.  There’s so many possibilities it’s impossible to make up.  I think Dickinson is the only team that doesn’t have a mathematical chance to qualify…

Minot came out of nowhere to put themselves right there.  Both Bismarck teams are gonna need points this week.  DL, Jamestown Williston all right there…gong show. 

Edit: I lied Dickinson is still mathematically in it with 3 games this week.  They took 6 points off Davies yesterday. 

I’d be absolutely shocked if the Blue Jays make state. There is so much team negativity right now and has been for awhile. A senior player on Friday flips off a Dickinson player in the first period, gets kicked out and proceeds to break her stick on the way out. One gal had her A taken off her jersey because of her crappy attitude. It’s been a season to forget except for Sorlie between the pipes 

Monday WDA watching (unless PSP goes up there)...

Hazen at Bottineau: https://www.youtube.com/@BravesHockey  Bottineau usually has their games here.  No sounds, so it's weird, but it's a decent feed.

BHS at Williston:   https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100095364830211  Good facebook page that has popped up for live events, with announcers.  Wish more schools would do this.  7 PM puck drop. 

Besides saying "travel" am I the only one that finds it odd the WDA and EDC have different formats?  They do this in other sports as well.  Seems strange....  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Hazen at Bottineau: https://www.youtube.com/@BravesHockey  Bottineau usually has their games here.  No sounds, so it's weird, but it's a decent feed.

BHS at Williston:   https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100095364830211  Good facebook page that has popped up for live events, with announcers.  Wish more schools would do this.  7 PM puck drop. 

Besides saying "travel" am I the only one that finds it odd the WDA and EDC have different formats?  They do this in other sports as well.  Seems strange....  

I like how the EDC does it. Little more incentive to do well during the regular season to get a first round home game. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

I like how the EDC does it. Little more incentive to do well during the regular season to get a first round home game. 

I’m old school and like the way wdc does it. Better atmosphere imo 

but financially willing to bet edc makes more as only 4 teams traveling 

20 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Absolutely agree.

WDA need to follow this and frankly it's not a bad idea to do quarterfinals for state that way too.

They pulled that off during the covid year and I thought it was interesting.

Would eliminate the consulation and 5th place game, but dare I say it would make for a better combined boys/girls semis/champ situation, also maybe better for scheduling and rink availability.

Maybe wouldn't have to push half the games over to a red-headed stepchild rink of shame like they do in Fargo.

7 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I’m old school and like the way wdc does it. Better atmosphere imo 

but financially willing to bet edc makes more as only 4 teams traveling 

That and eliminates potentially additional nights in hotels and odd game times.

Say if Bottineau wins vs Hazen they play at 11am Thursday in Bismarck. That's potentially another overnight stay I would think, or a really early travel day, but certainly a huge disadvantage even for an 8 seed.

Although an 11 am gametime seems pretty odd and out of the norm for a 1 seed too. 

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

That and eliminates potentially additional nights in hotels and odd game times.

Say if Bottineau wins vs Hazen they play at 11am Thursday in Bismarck. That's potentially another overnight stay I would think, or a really early travel day, but certainly a huge disadvantage even for an 8 seed.

Although an 11 am gametime seems pretty odd and out of the norm for a 1 seed too. 

Minot had the home ice 11 am game last year as well.  

5 hours ago, Johnny Five said:

Bottineau says they aren't allowed to broadcast their feed tonight due to NDHSAA rights.  Not sure how Williston is able too but glad they are, gives us something to watch.  

The fan in me likes the Thursday-Friday-Saturday, but it makes sense for region tournaments to split it up and do Tuesday-Friday-Saturday.  Once you get to the Saturday of the State hockey tournament the kids from the West are playing their 6th game in 10 days.  I think there is a bit more jump on Saturday at the EDC with it not being the third game in three days for those teams as well.

At the same time, the travel is a bit more feasible in the East region for a Tuesday night game.  You don't have a Williston to Jamestown scenario, or a Bottineau to Dickinson type trip.  The worst trip in the EDC would be Devils Lake to Fargo which isn't terrible with interstate.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The fan in me likes the Thursday-Friday-Saturday, but it makes sense for region tournaments to split it up and do Tuesday-Friday-Saturday.  Once you get to the Saturday of the State hockey tournament the kids from the West are playing their 6th game in 10 days.  I think there is a bit more jump on Saturday at the EDC with it not being the third game in three days for those teams as well.

At the same time, the travel is a bit more feasible in the East region for a Tuesday night game.  You don't have a Williston to Jamestown scenario, or a Bottineau to Dickinson type trip.  The worst trip in the EDC would be Devils Lake to Fargo which isn't terrible with interstate.  

There is that pesky "school" thing on Tuesday/Wed morning to consider... but I guess not a ton different than Hazen and Bismarck High's trek tonight.

1 hour ago, Johnny Five said:

Bottineau says they aren't allowed to broadcast their feed tonight due to NDHSAA rights.  Not sure how Williston is able too but glad they are, gives us something to watch.  

I'm guessing the Williston entity got a sponsor to pay the "fine" for doing it outside the NFHS Network rights or is also shooting the feed through their system.

The WDA rights portion I believe  expires after the '25 season. 

Anyone who votes to renew it should be tied padless to a goalposts and have the entirety of the squirt international participants fire pucks at them as part of the Squirt-lympics

The NFHS Network deal is the worst thing to happen to high school sports viewability since the invention of the moving picture.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Great point about playing 6 games in 10 days. Never thought of that. Just another reason I like the first round at home rinks with the better records 

12 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Great point about playing 6 games in 10 days. Never thought of that. Just another reason I like the first round at home rinks with the better records 

Not to mention the west also already having the disadvantage of traveling further for the state games whether it's in Fargo or Forks. So having 6 games in 10 days instead of 5 is just burying their chances that much more. 

Tradition and overall skill level aside, it never seems to help when you have some teams from the west traveling to Minot or Bis to play 3 games in 3 days to turn around and travel across the state to play 3 more in 3 days in Fargo or GF. Especially when you're playing against some East teams who haven't had to leave their backyard for any EDC or state games whatsoever. Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference but I certainly don't think it would hurt to mix it up one of these years. 

As awesome as it is for the kids to play at the Ralph or even at Scheels, I wonder how things went with State being in Minot last year for girls? That's a pretty awesome rink as well. I wonder if that will ever be in the cards for the boys.

2 minutes ago, Brim006 said:

Not to mention the west also already having the disadvantage of traveling further for the state games whether it's in Fargo or Forks. So having 6 games in 10 days instead of 5 is just burying their chances that much more. 

Tradition and overall skill level aside, it never seems to help when you have some teams from the west traveling to Minot or Bis to play 3 games in 3 days to turn around and travel across the state to play 3 more in 3 days in Fargo or GF. Especially when you're playing against some East teams who haven't had to leave their backyard for any EDC or state games whatsoever. Maybe it wouldn't make much of a difference but I certainly don't think it would hurt to mix it up one of these years. 

As awesome as it is for the kids to play at the Ralph or even at Scheels, I wonder how things went with State being in Minot last year for girls? That's a pretty awesome rink as well. I wonder if that will ever be in the cards for the boys.

What’s been the attendance for Saturdays state games at the Ralph or Scheels? I believe the Minot rink holds like 2500. Not sure if it’s big enough or maybe it is 

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

What’s been the attendance for Saturdays state games at the Ralph or Scheels? I believe the Minot rink holds like 2500. Not sure if it’s big enough or maybe it is 

There’s been at least two years where they’ve had to open up the top of the Ralph I know that but I would say at least 4000 on average

1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

There’s been at least two years where they’ve had to open up the top of the Ralph I know that but I would say at least 4000 on average

Dang okay, well that might answer my question right there. I'm surprised the Maysa doesn't hold more than that...

I'm probably 1 of very few who's played a varsity hockey game in every city in the state. My 9th and 10th grade years were in the West and my 11th and 12th grade years were in the East. Those long-haul games to opposite corners of the state always sucked and did take a toll on us whether we wanted to admit it or not. The hosts of WDA and EDC always seemed to fair the best, and in most cases they were probably already the best teams but as we all know, in the crazy game of hockey any little edge can make a difference in big games. It would be nice to see state in Minot or Bismarck someday but maybe that won't be a feasible option until someone like Minot State or UMary builds a nice big new rink with 3,000+ capacity. 

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

That's gotta be pre-covid and dare I say pre-smartphone era.

There hasn't been enough people to fill any bowl in quite a while it seems.

Bismarck gets what it deserves for not doing a damn thing about a proper arena, No economic impact for you....

but Minot could host a state boys tourney just as good as Fargo can.. 

Better actually 

.....CAUSE YOU COULD GET A GYAAATDAMN HOTEL ROOM IN MINOT!!!!! 

• Upvote 1