SiouxSports.com Forum

It's upset city baby!

Marty

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the chances of something like this occurring. Never during this year did i think those 3 strong schools would lose on the same night. The last time that probably happened was when i had hair haha am i right fellas? Maybe we hyped these guys up too much but if these minnows keep eating our bass we could have an interesting lake come Final Five time.

59 shots for the gofs and the alaska goalie saves 57...holy sh!&

very nice to check the scores and see the goofs loose, wisc and cc loose..crazy night in the wcha.....

we are also sitting at #11 in the pairwise now so you don't play and move up..very nice...

I have said it all season long. This league is strong, top to bottom. Many just refuse to believe that.

There really are no surprises. The top teams are not all that dominating, like the Sioux were last year, and the bottom teams are not all that weak, like Tech was last year.

Do you think that it is time now that we can all stop hailing the Gophers? They really are nothing. Why else would they shut down Pride on Lice in the middle of a stretch run. Those guys aren't stupid, or committed for that matter.

If the Gophers, CC, and Denver all garner No. 1 seeds, and judging from history this season, I think that it is time for the wagon jumpers to start climbing back on board for the stretch run.

Who wouldn't want to play the Gophers in The John. They are stinking that hole up!

The only problem with SCSU beating CC is that it sounds as if Dahl may be on the hotseat. There's been at least on recent article in the St. Cloud paper where Dahl is having to defend himself. I think replacing Dahl with a good coach is good for the WCHA, and having a good coach that close to the cities might make things a little harder for Lucia with some cities area recruits.

I thought Sioux fans might recognize this write-up snippet taken from this morning's Star Tribune. Just change the names to more familiar ones and you have the write up we've seen about the Sioux in the Herald a few times this season.

" 'The guys were looking at each other after the game,' Gophers center Gino Guyer said, 'and wondering, With so many shots on goal, how could we not score more than two?' "

Lucia had a theory.

" 'It seems like every goaltender we play against looks like an All-American,' he said. 'Sooner or later some of that has to be put on us.' "

"Lucia said he would have liked to have seen fewer shots and better shots. Added Gophers goaltender Kellen Briggs: 'I think our guys learned a lesson tonight. You can't score by trying to shoot the puck through the goalie's chest.' "

Enough about the Gophers. I just thought how the write up could have been about many of the Sioux performances this season. It just shows that when you have established a high level of performance and success, everybody brings their "A" game when they play you. Let's hope our guys can bring their "A" game to the rest of the schedule and into the playoffs.

The WCHA is truly the strongest it's probably ever been, and it is certainly the premiere league in the relm of D-1 US hockey this season.

The only problem with SCSU beating CC is that it sounds as if Dahl may be on the hotseat.  There's been at least on recent article in the St. Cloud paper where Dahl is having to defend himself.  I think replacing Dahl with a good coach is good for the WCHA, and having a good coach that close to the cities might make things a little harder for Lucia with some cities area recruits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dahl must be feeling the heat. In the USCHO recap, he tried hard to take credit for the OT motivation that resulted in a win. Maybe he should have tried some motivational coaching prior to/during an NCAA game.

Still can't understand CC's success this year, they haven't looked like a top team anytime I've seen them, yet, until last night, they've beaten the bottom 5 (except Duluth, who has underachieved to get where they are) WCHA teams soundly. Think they may be coming apart at the wrong time. Getting outplayed and winning (CC vs UND) is not always a good thing. Could make for an interesting home and home with Denver to possibly determine the McNaughton winner.

SCSU will likely remain a TUC when the Sioux go there, which would be a good thing. UAA is not far from becoming one (maybe they will tonight no matter what the outcome). Would be nice if the Sioux were playing TUC's in all of their last three series. In those comparison the Sioux currently lose but remain close (2-1), their record vs. TUC's is the easiest to tip in their favor, which makes winning mandatory. Backing into the NCAA's is no way to get there anyway.

I thought Sioux fans might recognize this write-up snippet taken from this morning's Star Tribune.  Just change the names to more familiar ones and you have the write up we've seen about the Sioux in the Herald a few times this season. 

*                    *                    *                  *                    *                  *

" 'The guys were looking at each other after the game,' Gophers center Gino Guyer said, 'and wondering, With so many shots on goal, how could we not score more than two?' "

Lucia had a theory.

" 'It seems like every goaltender we play against looks like an All-American,' he said. 'Sooner or later some of that has to be put on us.' "

"Lucia said he would have liked to have seen fewer shots and better shots. Added Gophers goaltender Kellen Briggs: 'I think our guys learned a lesson tonight. You can't score by trying to shoot the puck through the goalie's chest.' "

*                *                *                *                *                  *                *

Enough about the Gophers. I just thought how the write up could have been about many of the Sioux performances this season.  It just shows that when you have established a high level of performance and success, everybody brings their "A" game when they play you.  Let's hope our guys can bring their "A" game to the rest of the schedule and into the playoffs.

The WCHA is truly the strongest it's probably ever been, and it is certainly the premiere league in the relm of D-1 US hockey this season.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking about NoDak last night after watching the Gopher game. I was thinking after seeing some of the boxscores and recaps where the Sioux outplayed and outshot their opponent but still lost. It is definately frustrating as a fan.

I guess both teams just have to take it for what it is (I have no idea) and trust that these are two top programs who will see bumps in the road but year in and year out will be near the top.

I didn't mind seeing CC fall but it would have been nice to see someone other than SCSU do it.

Dagies- I agree with you about Dahl, it would be nice to see a good coach come in there and make SCSU and hence the WCHA a better league. I would think that job would be very desirable because there is a lot of in state talent to recruit and they have a fanbase ready to pounce on a winner.

'The guys were looking at each other after the game,' Gophers center Gino Guyer said, 'and wondering, With so many shots on goal, how could we not score more than two?' "

Lucia had a theory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First off it is nice to see someone else besides us experience the problems Minny had last night, it looks like the 2002-2003 UND team. Start out hot and fizzle. The UAA team scheme is back in and circle the wagons, that to me is brutal hockey. It makes my skin crawl to watch teams play that type of hockey, what they are saying we can't skate with you so we are going to trap, scrap and hook and hold UAA was getting away with this all game. If I was a coach I wonder if could lower myself to coach that style of play. It works if your goalie is hot.

Don't blame AA for style. The didn't clutch and grab and stayed out of the box the last two periods.

The Gophers top line has been getting outplayed consistently during many of the games since the BU series. Last night they failed to backcheck on a rare AA chance and took one of the stupidest penalties ever during a 4x4 leading to a 4x3 and an AA goal.

I've now written third place place off. Six game personal losing streak for me at Mariucci. Trying again tonight. :0

The only problem with SCSU beating CC is that it sounds as if Dahl may be on the hotseat.  There's been at least on recent article in the St. Cloud paper where Dahl is having to defend himself.  I think replacing Dahl with a good coach is good for the WCHA, and having a good coach that close to the cities might make things a little harder for Lucia with some cities area recruits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If SCSU is going to make a run at anything resembling a title, then Dahl's best kept busy packing his belongings.

NO WAY will SCSU truly compete in the NCAA level with Dahl as head coach. No way.

AA continues the magic and leads the Goofs 2-1 after one.  Goofs goal shouldn't have counted as the replay clearly showed goaltender interference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Smaagard did get bumped into the crease but used the bump to put a good hit on the goalie.

Love the irony in Woog's complaining about Hamilton not getting an extra penalty for, get this, "punching after the whistle."

Not horrendous goaltending on Minnesota's part.

Look at the 2nd period Gophers and the 3rd period/OT Gophers. No defense and no urgency... They did rush the net in the 3rd period.

Stevens scores and they all just coast thinking victory.

UAA could have won it, but so could have the Gophers. I'm saying that Gopher fans lucked out at the tie. They should have won with a Guyer empty netter.

John Hill is ecstatic.

Stuchlik will surely be the WCHA Offensive player of the week. Maybe the USCHO Offensive POTY.

Or horrendous goaltending? Take your pick.........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I actually wish UND could play the Goofers right now. Briggs comes in lets a couple in then JJ comes in and does his thing. I guess I wouldn't fear the Sioux playing Goofer in the regional now. If UND can play its game beat UMD get to the Final Five and meet the Gophers in the play game. Wow, that would be exciting.

But I am jumping the gun a bit. Lots of hockey left.

just got done watching this one, and what a great game it was. great job by AA to find the open man on the 6x5. I agree with RW that the Gophs seemed to think the Stevens goal meant game over. AA had the bulk of the chances in OT and the Gophs are lucky they didn't get swept.

I listened to the third period (stopped watching after the Gophes went up 4-2 and seemed to be rolling) and Shaver seemed ridiculously upset with the officials for not calling a slash that left Ryan Potulny stickless, and taking him out of the play that resulted in the third AA goal. Doesn't look like a blatant slash call to me (I taped the game and watched the third after I heard how wild it was), and the goal was caused by Irmen not picking up the third man into the zone. Not only that, the puck deflected off of Irmen's body on it's way into the net, completely fooling JJ. Shaver was really riding the officials during the third period, and after watching the tape, it would seem he was letting his frustration show through a little too much...