SiouxSports.com Forum

Changing the Karma

jk

Sirens should have reached screeching levels when we only scored three goals against the monks from Holy Cross...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Three goals against the monks with the puking goalie? Yeah, I remember being at tad concerned about that. puke.gif

Great post, jk! thumbsup.gif

Great post.....maybe the whole lavish atmosphere of the new REA has an effect on the play of these guys. I know in the past Blais complained about some of the guys out watching movies on the jumboton instead of getting focused for the game before a game. The new Ralph was necessary but it sure does not seem to strike fear in the opponents like the old barn did.

That was a great post!  I remember many of those games/players you talked about.  I also summon the Gods for some karma.

GO SIOUX!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've also seen many of those games. To me, it doesn't seem like the teams from the last 4 years had the same sense of drive and purpose as some of the teams that were so memorable.

The 2000 team was really similar to this team in their experience/age. The difference was that Goren, Panzer, & B. Lundbohm had great seasons. They stepped up and improved from season to season.

That has not been the case with any of the juniors/seniors this year. McMahon and Genoway are doing pretty well, but not any better than last year.

Where is the drive and development?:huh:??

(Since jk has gone a little, how shall we say it, "out there" on us, I figure I can hop on the same bus for a while too since it's warmed up anyway.) :0

The gods of Sioux hockey are confused.

It happened when UND "switched ends" in moving to the new Ralph.

- Before we defended the south twice; now we defend the north twice.

- Before students were east; now they're west.

- Before the home team bench was SW of the ice; now it's NE.

- Before the Sioux goalie was left of the press box twice; now it's right.

We turned everything around on them, and the logo changed too. Clearly, cause for confusion.

You have to remember: the gods of Sioux hockey really don't venture much beyond about a stick-length or two from the blue paint in their home arena, although their power has a much greater reach. (Anyone in Albany in 2001 remembers the great thunderstorm they unleashed after the overtime period. Thunderstorms that powerful in Albany in April are as common as SCSU post-season banners.)

They've barely found the new arena. When they did it's all backwards (north-south-wise) to them. To them, no late goals go into the south net because that is how it was at old REA.

However, the gods of Sioux hockey still recognize their mark. The gods of Sioux hockey are with Lammy. Why?

Look at his mask.

They recognize the old logo. They know he is one of their own and "brush away" some pucks for him. He shows signs of the Jensen/Casey/Belfour/Goehring karma and that comes from the gods of Sioux hockey (plus great skills and preparation, who am I kidding).

But just the same, the gods of Sioux hockey just don't want to let a late goal into a south net at home. Clearly, they are thinking "no late south goal goals" more than watching who is shooting at it. (And they don't recognize the new logo on the jerseys.)

They need to be shown that it is now acceptable, needed, to have late goals go in the south net, that this is not the old REA but the new REA, where their own are now the "defenders of the north" at crunch time.

Why they haven't accepted that yet I do not understand.

But, the gods of Sioux hockey do recognize their mark as evidenced by Lammy. And I have a way to help them understand.

I say have the team wear undershirts with the old logo for a home series, maybe even for that whole week before in practice. Maybe even have the blackhawk and the geometric logos on the undershirt. Let the gods of Sioux hockey understand that the (blackhawk) logo is the (geometric) logo is the (new) logo.

The gods of Sioux hockey will recognize that and respond accordingly and the magic will return.

And then all will be well.

(OK, I'm done now. But I'm left to wonder what kind of smoke that was in jk's bus.) :huh:

Great post JK. Anyone remember the "Kermit Luck Guides our Puck" slogan back in '87 that took us all the way to the title? Since Kermit has now passed to the great beyond, perhaps it is time to summon the karma of some other character to start guiding some pucks into the net.

Also, the UND crowd at the CC games was great. Too bad we didn't have a whole lot to cheer about. The "Let's Go Sioux" chant in the third period of Saturdays game was louder than certain occassions at the Ralph. It sure would be nice to find something to get that place rockin again.

I don't know what the Sioux record was in the old REA, but in the new building, they're 49-19-7, according to my calculations. I wonder how many other college teams win 72 percent of their home games?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent point. The old ralph was great. It is gone, however, and like a dead poet or artist, has been romanticized and seems much greater today than it did in its own time.

I don't know what the Sioux record was in the old REA, but in the new building, they're 49-19-7, according to my calculations. I wonder how many other college teams win 72 percent of their home games?

From "Fight on Sioux" by Virg Foss/GF Herald, page 98.

The 6067-seat Engelstad Arena was home to the Fighting Sioux from 1972 through the 2000-2001 season. ...

All told, there were 593 official games played in Engelstad Arena - most of them won by the Sioux. UND carved out exactly 400 victories against 171 losses and 22 ties there, for a winning percentage of 0.693.

If PCM's 49-19-7 is accurate that is 0.700 (sorry, PCM, not 0.720).

(Since jk has gone a little, how shall we say it, "out there" on us, I figure I can hop on the same bus for a while too since it's warmed up anyway.) :0

The gods of Sioux hockey are confused.

It happened when UND "switched ends" in moving to the new Ralph.

- Before we defended the south twice; now we defend the north twice.

- Before students were east; now they're west.

- Before the home team bench was SW of the ice; now it's NE.

- Before the Sioux goalie was left of the press box twice; now it's right.

We turned everything around on them, and the logo changed too. Clearly, cause for confusion.

You have to remember: the gods of Sioux hockey really don't venture much beyond about a stick-length or two from the blue paint in their home arena,  although their power has a much greater reach. (Anyone in Albany in 2001 remembers the great thunderstorm they unleashed after the overtime period. Thunderstorms that powerful in Albany in April are as common as SCSU post-season banners.)

They've barely found the new arena. When they did it's all backwards (north-south-wise) to them. To them, no late goals go into the south net because that is how it was at old REA.

However, the gods of Sioux hockey still recognize their mark. The gods of Sioux hockey are with Lammy. Why?

Look at his mask.

They recognize the old logo. They know he is one of their own and "brush away" some pucks for him. He shows signs of the Jensen/Casey/Belfour/Goehring karma and that comes from the gods of Sioux hockey (plus great skills and preparation, who am I kidding).

But just the same, the gods of Sioux hockey just don't want to let a late goal into a south net at home. Clearly, they are thinking "no late south goal goals" more than watching who is shooting at it. (And they don't recognize the new logo on the jerseys.)

They need to be shown that it is now acceptable, needed, to have late goals go in the south net, that this is not the old REA but the new REA, where their own are now the "defenders of the north" at crunch time.

Why they haven't accepted that yet I do not understand.

But, the gods of Sioux hockey do recognize their mark as evidenced by Lammy. And I have a way to help them understand.

I say have the team wear undershirts with the old logo for a home series, maybe even for that whole week before in practice. Maybe even have the blackhawk and the geometric logos on the undershirt. Let the gods of Sioux hockey understand that the (blackhawk) logo is the (geometric) logo is the (new) logo.

The gods of Sioux hockey will recognize that and respond accordingly and the magic will return.

And then all will be well.

(OK, I'm done now. But I'm left to wonder what kind of smoke that was in jk's bus.) :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, since they are so confused we need to summon the like of John Noah, Ben Cherski and the Christian boys. OK we fixed that now lets run the table!

Good grief what do you do all day?

I think that's obvious at this point. Actually I sit in front of a computer at work all day and there are occasionally lulls.

Sagard, not wishing bad karma on UAA; strictly a defensive measure.

The Sicatoka, thanks for a terrific discussion and for providing a potential solution.

From "Fight on Sioux" by Virg Foss/GF Herald, page 98.

If PCM's 49-19-7 is accurate that is 0.700 (sorry, PCM, not 0.720).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Formula: Games won/games won + games lost

Calculate: To calculate winning percentage divide the number of games won by the total games won and lost. Winning percentage is calculated to 3 decimal places

I'm a math guy, so this was bugging me, and needed to be corrected for my own sanity. 49/49+19 = 49/68 = 0.720588

also, sorry virg, 400/400+171 = 400/571 = 0.700525. I didn't mean to do this, and i'm gonna get made fun of for it, but it was gonna drive me nuts. thanks for your patience. :huh: