SiouxSports.com Forum

Changing the Karma

jk

siouxtatoo42, that's how I figured it. I tossed out the tie games because they can't be counted as wins or losses.

But I'm not a math guy. When someone tells me my math is off, I assume that they're right. :huh:

EDIT: By the way, if anyone's using the 2004-05 Sioux hockey media guide to check the wins, losses and ties at the new REA, there's a mistake in it. The guide shows the Sioux sweeping Maine Oct. 19-20. However, UND lost the second game 5-1.

all kinds of math info

this is a stats guy's useful tool (although designed around baseball, still interesting to hockey fans alike). it shows you how to calculate just about any 0.783 stat you could imagine. again, being a math guy, i love it :huh: being a huge baseball fan, i'm thankful for it.

siouxtatoo42, that's how I figured it. I tossed out the tie games because they can't be counted as wins or losses.

But I'm not a math guy. When someone tells me my math is off, I assume that they're right.  :0

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't toss out the ties. If you did, a 30-0-1 record would show a 100% winning percentage, when it isn't. Calculate it as though you were computing league points, 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.

So 49-19-7 is 98 points for the wins and 7 for the ties, totaling 105. In 75 games, that's 1.4 points per game, or a .7000 winning percentage.

Likewise, my example 30-0-1 record would be a .9839 winning percentage.

You can't toss out the ties.  If you did, a 30-0-1 record would show a 100% winning percentage, when it isn't.  Calculate it as though you were computing league points, 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.

So 49-19-7 is 98 points for the wins and 7 for the ties, totaling 105.  In 75 games, that's 1.4 points per game, or a .7000 winning percentage.

Likewise, my example 30-0-1 record would be a .9839 winning percentage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i see how you did that. thanks. you are correct. :huh:

I'll do Colorado College. It's Jan. 4, 2003. The Sioux are rated No. 1 in the nation and playing the hard-charging Tigers. UND was without Zach Parise, Matt Jones and Matte Greene, who were playing in the World Junior Championships. CC was without Mark Stuart and Brett Sterling for the same reason.

After the Friday game ended in a 4-4 tie, the Tigers, led by future Hobey Baker winner Peter Sejna, were hoping to take over the top spot in the nation with a win on UND's home ice. And with under two minutes to go in the game and a 4-2 lead, it looked as if they would do just that.

After Josh Siembida gave up 3 goals on 12 shots, he was replaced by Marc Ranfranz in the second period. The Tigers got a power play goal at 15:14 of the second period to go up by two goals. But Ranfranz was spectacular the rest of the way, stopping 17 of 18 shots.

And here's why I'll never forget this game. The sportswriter covering the Tigers for the Colorado Springs newspaper (he's no longer there) was yapping all through both games. He complained about the officiating and openly celebrated whenever CC scored. I'd never seen a reporter act like that in the press box where we're instructed by the NCAA to remain neutral at all times.

Late in the third with CC up by two, the sportswriter took out his cell phone and carried on a loud conversation with a his editor back in Colorado Springs. He told the editor to get ready to run a story saying that the Tigers were going to defeat the Sioux and take over as the No. 1 team in the nation.

But, as Yogi Berra said, it ain't over 'til it's over. I'm guessing that Yogi never met the goalie-pulling Dean Blais.

The Sioux went on the power play with just over two minutes left. Seconds after Blais pulled Ranfranz, Brandon Bochenski scored at 18:13 to make it a 4-3 game. Taking advantage of a faceoff deep in CC's zone, Blais pulled Ranfranz again in the game's final minute. David Hale fired a wrist shot through traffic that beat Curtis McElhinney with 11 seconds left. The puck went in after bouncing off two CC players.

The game ended 4-4 in overtime, and the Sioux retained their top ranking.

You can't toss out the ties.  If you did, a 30-0-1 record would show a 100% winning percentage, when it isn't.  Calculate it as though you were computing league points, 2 for a win, 1 for a tie, 0 for a loss.

Thanks, jk. I get it now. I thought that the ties probably needed to be accounted for somehow. Besides, I didn't think The Sicatoka would ever lead me astray. :huh:

I watched all those guys & yes it was magical at times :D

But that is what bothers me - the Talent is here - Maybe like never before

They need to get the confidence & attitude that they are good & that many can score (& I want some) Too many trying to pass or set up others who are doing the same thing :huh:

This & the fact that every team that comes in our place, the dang goalies think they are the ghost of some NHL prodigy Goaltender :0

We need to COMBAT THE RIVALS:

MN:

If it happens that a Minnesota fan is responsible for this, then I need to consider some MN-specific memories.  The best karma combatant to summon against MN has to be Mike Legg.  (Hey, look, the Gophers are on Sportscenter!)  And on the bells tonight, please welcome Randy Skarda (clang it, Randy).  Sorry for picking the low-hanging fruit, but 23 years.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll take Denver:

March 16, 2003.  18:56 of overtime.  Fuher finds a loose puck inside the blue line, and blazes a rocket past Adam Berkhoel to send his team to the Final Five.  Fireworks, music and confetti rain down from the heavens as the team celebrates their victory.

I think it's time to pull out the Karma thread.

How about March 16, 1963?

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/history/ncaa6263.htm