SiouxSports.com Forum

Michigan Fans

dakotadan

My favorite paragraph:

The few dozen students who attended the meeting seemed very receptive to changing the chant but said that by agreeing to change the cheer, they should be accommodated by the administration for some of their concerns. They cited the rising season ticket prices, the student section being split into two separate groups, more expensive seats blocking the view of students and the band being moved away as reasons they were upset.

In addition to the offensive nature of the cheer, Stevenson also cited Michigan's inability to host an NCAA Regional as a reason to stop or change the cheer. In the 2002 NCAA Regional, Michigan upset No. 2 Denver at Yost Ice Arena, 5-3. Stevenson said that, after the game, Michigan was fined. And Michigan has not hosted a Regional at Yost since then.

A media spokesman for Tom Jacobs, the NCAA Director of Championships, said that the reason the Regionals have not been at Yost has less to do with the offensive language than the fact that having the game at Yost gives Michigan an unfair competitive advantage.

Oh I feel so bad for Michigan (not) for them not being able to have all of the Regional tourneys at Yost ice arena. I wonder how we get UofM to not keep getting the regional all of the time, like it wasn't a major advantage in 2002...

Edited by Goon

the times they are a-changin'....It's unfortunate in the aspect of splitting up the student section and moving the band for more "corporate" seats, but in the same breath, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Yost burned down to the friggin ground. Then #1 seeded WCHA teams wouldn't have to play regionals in that rink anymore...(UND, Denver, and CC have all met similar fates in the NCAA's there)

Oh I feel so bad for Michigan (not) for them not being able to have all of the Regional tourneys at Yost ice arena. I wonder how we get UofM to not keep getting the regional all of the time, like it wasn't a major advantage in 2002...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goon, I'll keep that in mind when UND hosts a regional! Then the whinning can stop! :angry::D;);)

The Gophs seem to have the number of the evil "M" for the past few years over there, but still I woulnd't trust averages too much.

As for the "corpification" of college hockey....it sucks, but there is little one can do...money talks and none of us (Ithink) own a big enuf corp to make a diff in any program in the country...It is happening all over, spliting/moving of student sections, bands getting smaller/moved to the hinter-land seats....it all sucks....that is why the day I have to sit down in my seat and stop cheering, I will end up on the water tower with a high powered rifle!

WPoS

the times they are a-changin'....It's unfortunate in the aspect of splitting up the student section and moving the band for more "corporate" seats, but in the same breath, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Yost burned down to the friggin ground.  Then #1 seeded WCHA teams wouldn't have to play regionals in that rink anymore...(UND, Denver, and CC have all met similar fates in the NCAA's there)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now, I used to go right by Yost for work. :angry:

Yost is pretty much a small barn really. And the parking around it is horrible, as it is for most of AA. Its a great venue for HS Hockey, but its kinda surprising that given all the success of the Wolverine's hockey program, and the deep pockets their athletic department has, that they play in there. :D;) I doubt the NCAA would let them have a regional there again anyways. Too small a venue. ;);)

The driver behind this isn't the athletic departments or the presidents at North Dakota or Michigan. The driver behind this is the NCAA. Similar things are happening in ACC-basketball-land too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know that the NCAA was in charge of the REA continually shrinking the student section, making the ticket process as annoying as possible, and sticking the band up in the boonies away from the rest of the students! :angry: j/k I know what you are saying.

The reason I posted the article is that I found it interesting that their students concerns/complaints about their hockey arena are exactly the same as UND students have:

"They cited the rising season ticket prices, the student section being split into two separate groups, more expensive seats blocking the view of students and the band being moved away as reasons they were upset."

I agree that some of the swearing and some of the more offensive cheers could be stopped as long as the students are actually allowed to still continue to cheer.

Goon, I'll keep that in mind when UND hosts a regional!  Then the whinning can stop! :angry:  :D  ;)  ;)

The Gophs seem to have the number of the evil "M" for the past few years over there, but still I woulnd't trust averages too much.

WPoS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha, ha, ha, ha... I was wondering if your were still around.

How about MSU-M renting to X-Cel to make money for their athletic department.

Might come back to haunt the Mavs. I can see 13,000 screaming gophers fans there and 4,000 mavs fan at best. The MSU-M athletic department just did the Gophers a favor.

Ha, ha, ha, ha... I was wondering if your were still around.

How about MSU-M renting to X-Cel to make money for their athletic department.

Might come back to haunt the Mavs. I can see 13,000 screaming gophers fans there and 4,000 mavs fan at best. The MSU-M athletic department just did the Gophers a favor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But if MSU-M gets the money, aren't the Gophs fans doing them a favor? ;)

Anyone know what kind of cut MSU-M is getting for this game?

Being a season ticket holder to the games played by the maize and gold, I find no offense to the chant and neither do many of my cronies i attend the game with. The only people offended by this are those cooky ridch born agains who are there to socialize. I love a racous student section it gives it a good atmosphere. I've always liked the Yost, it represents a good tradition of hockey, I also find it surprising that many of you are complaining about regionals being hosted there. The luxiourious Ralph will get its regionals but before the Ralph and the new World Arena when i thought of midwestern arenas I thought of the two schools with the M on the jersey, but what do I know I've had 22 years of college hockey experience.

Being a season ticket holder to the games played by the maize and gold, I find no offense to the chant and neither do many of my cronies i attend the game with.  The only people offended by this are those cooky rich born agains who are there to socialize.  I love a racous student section it gives it a good atmosphere. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cripes, AA's got enuff of those types eh Poncho. I really couldn't stand the ones that had the brand new Benz or other Luxury car there. Those are just the worst. I cast down the worst hex I can think of them for one born and bred in Michigan. May their children go to Ohio State. :D;););):angry:

Anyone know what kind of cut MSU-M is getting for this game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mankato's AD was interviewed during FSN's pregame tonight and thought the numbers would be around $130,00o, which he said would put back into the hockey program, for the most part.

btw, what's the deal with the Gopher's giving up 6 goals to Mankato? Good to see!

Mankato's AD was interviewed during FSN's pregame tonight and thought the numbers would be around $130,00o, which he said would put back into the hockey program, for the most part.

btw, what's the deal with the Gopher's giving up 6 goals to Mankato? Good to see!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would say it would HAVE to go back to the hockey team. And, starting with the next home series, I'd suggest a SUPER fan appreciation shindig to try to make amends with the people of Mankato and the businesses who boost Mavs hockey after the massive screw job their AD gave them.

The only surprise you get when you give up home ice for money is that they scored more than twice.

I would say it would HAVE to go back to the hockey team. And, starting with the next home series, I'd suggest a SUPER fan appreciation shindig to try to make amends with the people of Mankato and the businesses who boost Mavs hockey after the massive screw job their AD gave them.

The only surprise you get when you give up home ice for money is that they scored more than twice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I listened to part of that game. I guess something like 20 busses made the trek. Not sure who paid. I believe I read on one of the .com's weekly reports that this "away" game for the Gophers might have to be looked at by the league and changed in the future. Though it doesn't sound like any coach is openly complaining. FSN said that Lucia hadn't recieved any calls from any coaches about the game. Though if I was a coach and going to complain, I'd be calling Mankato.

Could SCSU be next? What I think is a good idea is an SCSU-MSU-M tilt at the X. Though I don't think they'd fill the arena.

Watching the game I was impressed. There were alot of Minnesota State fans. It was kind of cool listening to their school song every time they scored and their NEW logo loooked pretty cool at center ice. For the money and the advertising they got across the state, I think it was definately worth the money, even if they didn't win.

btw, what's the deal with the Gopher's giving up 6 goals to Mankato?  Good to see!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Real Briggs is back. My brother called me from the X-Cel and said that Briggs gave up 4 goals in 5 shots. Wow. I wonder if JJ will get a start soon. LoL

in all honesty Kellen's outstanding play has been what has kept this team on their game. I for one, I know you guys don't, hope that last night was a fluke and he goes back to a save percentage above 80% :angry:

Altho the reffing was horrible, I finally got a pretty consistant ref...horrible calls/no calls on both teams! From reading the thread on your game last night looks like some of your fans are blaming the refs.....to paraphrase one of your own:

Typical response from our friends to the northwest - refs called a bad game, jab at the Gophers, blah, blah, blah! ;);):D

WPoS