SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching Performance thru Midseason

siouxtatoo42

how does this forum grade our coaching staff thru midseason? comment on predicted finish  

71 members have voted

1. 1. how does this forum grade our coaching staff thru midseason? comment on predicted finish

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C
    • D
    • D-
    • F

I give him a solid B. this team has underachieved this season, mostly by OUR expectations and what we are used too. This is a new coaching staff as far as their new positions with the addition of eades. With the benefit of the doubt going in thier favor, I'll stick with my B. I think if they can step it up the last half of the season going into the national tournament, anything past the first or second round of the NCAA's would give this staff an A in my book.

It's hard to say how Hakstol is doing because the fans don't see 90% of what goes on so I don't like to come down on Hakstol too hard, BUT it's just like in school. A student can study their butt off for a test and fail it miserably, and just like school a coach can prepare all week before a game but if the team doesn't win you still get an loss. You don't get wins because the team plays well, and you don't get an A just because you've studied you butt off. I didn't get good grades because I studied, although that helps, but I got good grades because I did well on the tests.

I gave Hakstol a C because the team has not played well.

I would not grade a coaching staff half way through its first season however, I would not be so generous to certain senior forwards on the current team. Some of whom have taken a serious step backwards this season. Obviously, some of them must feel that their hockey careers are over after this season because that is the message they are giving any scouts who are watching. The coaching staff shouldn't have to explain what needs to be done to seniors, so apply the grades where they belong. The only opinion I will offer on the current coaching staff is that the PP is starting to look better.

Didn't I read in the Herald today that the PP the last four games is clicking at 37%. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, but against Canisius and Mankato, I'm not sure that's a huge accomplishment. The Mavs made the Sioux penalty kill look mediocre.

Yes, but against Canisius and Mankato, I'm not sure that's a huge accomplishment. The Mavs made the Sioux penalty kill look mediocre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True it's against weaker PK's, but it's still a good sign. I don't believe we scored on the PP too much in Mankato this year.

EDIT: We were 2 for 11 @ Mankato this year. 3 for 8 last year.

Edited by cheeringsiouxfromsmoggycali

To me the obvious signs of coaching problems are typically off ice incidents. As far as I'm aware there hasn't been any trouble like that.

Hakstol appears to have made the tough choice and surplanted Parise and Brandt with a freshmen netminder. That appears to be working.

The other place that Hakstol gets high marks is that the recruiting does not appear to have fallen off. The Sioux are bringing in plenty of good players for next season.

From an outsiders view who can only see the stats and when the Sioux play the Gophers, it looks like the problem with the Sioux this year is that nobody in that huge class three years ago has turned into a star.

For the Sioux to have a successful post season run they will need to get great goaltending and grind out the low scoring battles.

I agree with sagard, I think one of the biggest problems is that none of the recruits who were set to be the "stars" have really broken loose this year, whether it be from injury, etc. I believe leadership in the locker room is a factor....it is up to those kids to get themselves up, and up to the captains to set the example...I don't know if we've had that on a consistent basis this year.

From an outsiders view who can only see the stats and when the Sioux play the Gophers, it looks like the problem with the Sioux this year is that nobody in that huge class three years ago has turned into a star.

Let me agree, sort of:

The one set up to be a star (and probably win a Hobey this year) in this year's senior class is playing in Binghamton.

This group of seniors isn't leading the way like I expected them to.

It's time for the talented underclassmen who aren't satisfied with underperformance as a team to step up, lead, and get it done. Here's a hint for a prime candidate for that role.

PS - Dear "prime candidate", it didn't matter to Zach that he was "just" a freshman or sophomore; he led. That holds for anyone else looking to step up and lead.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As others have pointed out, Bochenski was a star, but he's gone. Rory McMahon, Colby Genoway, Matt Jones, Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher may not be stars, but they are all very solid players in their own right. Every team needs those types of players.

As others have pointed out, Bochenski was a star, but he's gone. Rory McMahon, Colby Genoway, Matt Jones, Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher may not be stars, but they are all very solid players in their own right. Every team needs those types of players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(This is not meant as a rip on PCM)

Matt Jones and Nick Fuher aren't stars? Matt is excellent in positioning as a defenseman. Fuher works hard every single shift and.. AND he shoots the darn puck! If points scored is your medium, then Fuher's UND record 7 GWGs as a defenseman should count for something!

i guess in reading these posts, all very good, i didn't really get any predictions on how those of us in the sioux community feel the coach of our beloved fighting sioux is going to finish the season. some banter on the second half of the poll question would be awesome. i'm curious as to how most of you feel. I thought i was a diehard until i got on here, most of you out there make me feel silly and that i have limited knowledge. PCM, FEDEROV, Goon, hell, even WpoS (minus his gooofer affiliation) are all great hockey minds. Entertain me.

Scott Sandelin= C.....maybe C-

This is not the time in the season when line juggling should be happening so fast it makes my head spin. UMD lost only 4 players from last years FF team (granted one was a Hobey winner), and yet they struggle to find chemistry and a scoring touch. This team is 4-11-3 since being ranked #1 in the nation, and the end of the slump is far from being in sight, as the schedule only gets tougher from here on out for the Dogs:

at CC

at UMinn

vs Tech

at Denver

HH Bemidji (they always seem to beat us, even last year)

vs Wisco

If Sandy wants to turn this thing around and salvage the season (if that is even possible anymore with a 9-11-4 record, and SUB .500 RPI) he needs to do it in a hurry (or needed to 4 weeks ago) :huh: