SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstols report card

SIOUXELEVENS

McMahon made a comment earlier this season that those who think Hakstol isn't intense and capable of causing fear in his players, don't know Hakstol at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's probably less an issue of Hakstol, or any other coach, raising hell with his players, as opposed to the players motivating themselves, and each other, to play up to their abilities. I'm starting to get flashbacks to the "Clerks" scene where the guys play street hockey, whenever the Sioux get ready to hit ice. :glare:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, by not playing JPar, UND will probally lose its feeder system from Shattuck.

UND won't lose its current trend of recruiting players from SSM if Hakstol plays Lammy more than JPar. Heck, we still have a few SSM recruits that are coming in next year with Chorney, Duncan (playing for Salmon Arm in the BCHL now, but played for SSM last year), and possibly Toews. I think that the Sioux will be getting good recruits out of SSM for years to come. Playing the better goalie right now over JPar won't affect this at all.

if Stafford, Brady and Zjac leave, what will the team be like next year???  could be even hearder struggles ahead for the green and white...

Murray and Zajac will not leave after this season. I would bet that Brady is a solid 4-year player for the Sioux simply because of his size (think of Panzer). Zajac should stay for 2 or 3 years I would guess. Drew probably has the best chance of the three to bolt, but I think that even he would agree that he isn't exactly lighting up the WCHA right now, so he probably isn't quite ready for the next step yet.

if Stafford, Brady and Zjac leave, what will the team be like next year???  could be even hearder struggles ahead for the green and white...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think the Sioux (or any other team) would suffer a bit if the top 3 forwards all left school 2-3 years early. :glare:

It seems unlikely given the lockout and the fact that none of these guys are having All-American seasons. Of the three, I think that Stafford is the one closest to being ready to compete as a pro. He is a Buffalo Sabre draftee where they had big money problems before the lockout.

I think everyone should settle down. We are all spoiled as Sioux fans. Lets keep cheering on our team as if they were number one in the nation. I was at the Canisius and the Mankato series and the crowds were very sparse. Yes, the students were gone, but many empty seats were in season ticket holder locations. Don't be like Minneapolis fans: FAIRWEATHER. It is fine to bring up concerns about the coach, etc, but don't stop supporting the Sioux. We will be okay.

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!

I would bet that Brady is a solid 4-year player for the Sioux simply because of his size (think of Panzer). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't bet on that. Andy Murray, who right now has a lot to say about when Brady stays and when he goes, told me that Brady was one of the best players at the LA Kings' development camp last summer. He has turned heads there the last two years. Andy didn't rule out the possibility that Brady might leave early.

I would bet that Brady is a solid 4-year player for the Sioux simply because of his size (think of Panzer).

I wouldn't bet on that. Andy Murray, who right now has a lot to say about when Brady stays and when he goes, told me that Brady was one of the best players at the LA Kings' development camp last summer. He has turned heads there the last two years. Andy didn't rule out the possibility that Brady might leave early.

wow..thanks PCM..someone backing me up..i think Brady's dad will have a LOT to do with him bolting...i am not so sure the lockout or the money will have much to do with these guys staying..the lockout gets settled like i said..the big 3 could be gone...and although UND has some good freshman coming in..it takes freshman a while to adjust..especially when their counted on to be the man!!

I too have heard that Brady has done well at the Kings training camps. But there is a big difference in doing well at camps and producing regularly in the NHL/AHL. Brady has a line of 6-7-13 in 16 games so far this year for the Sioux. I would think that his dad wouldn't think about pulling him from the Sioux unless he was truly ready to make the jump.

I'm not saying that I don't think there is a possibility of him leaving early, because everyone knows that there's always a chance when dealing with highly talented players, but I'm just not convinced that he's ready to bolt to the pros quite yet.

They will probably go pro rather than stick around and be coached by someone with a lifetime losing record.

1/2 a season Hakstol has coached, and people are already calling for his head. At least give the guy a season to see what he can do.

And I don't think that the blame for the lack of intensity and heart shown by this team can all be placed on Hakstol's shoulders. But feel free to keep using him as your scapegoat.

where did you hear they werent leaving....since you are defending that....Zjac not as sure..but the other two...guess we will see if i am correct or not...what will keep them from not leaving??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

off the top of my head......their .500 record, lack of intensity, somewhat seeming a lack of complete team play, any (rumored) locker room problems, lack of a setup guy to match a goal scorer, possibility of not making the NCAA's, i would think all these things will help them stick around. :glare:

where did you hear they werent leaving....since you are defending that....Zjac not as sure..but the other two...guess we will see if i am correct or not...what will keep them from not leaving??

I'm not really trying to defend it, I just don't think that they are ready to make the jump so I just wondered where you heard that they were going pro. Parise and Bucks, you could tell that those two were ready. At times they would just dominate the game so that it looked like men vs boys. But none of the group of Murray, Zajac, and Stafford seem to do that. The only one of those three that I have heard rumors of possibly leaving is Stafford. I haven't heard anything on the other two.

What would keep them from not leaving? Free education, another year of hockey to get better prepared for the pros, no NHL to go to, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 3 left early, especially with the rash of good players jumping ship early, but most of those are expected, like in the case of Parise, Bucks, Vanek, Ballard. Those are players that dominate the game. While all 3 of those that you mentioned are highly talented players, I don't feel that any of them are ready to go pro, and they could use another year or two of preparing at the college level.

START RANT

Wow. Life must have SUCKED when Blais took over. I mean, with a team like Blais and fans like those on this board, how did he survive? I mean... if Hakstol is only good enough to keep a team that is struggling a little bit only at #10 or #11 overall in the nation, I think to myself, EVEN DAHL could do better!

What if Toews comes to UND and doesn't score in his first 10 games? I bet first you will think he sucks, then will blame Hakstol for recruiting a loser like Toews.

Well, I'm behind Hakstol 100 percent regardless of record because HE COULD BE WORSE THAN THIS.

For shame on all of you who cannot even wait until one season goes by to start calling for heads to roll. You do this with Hakstol, Radke, hell, I dont think anyone could have come in and handled it to your satisfaction! Yeah, bring Dean back. Whatever.

I'll let you all in on a little news flash:

HE'S FREAKING GONE AND HE'S NOT COMING BACK!!!!

I hope that clued you all in. Root for the Sioux, root against the Sioux, but what we've got is what we've got and damned if I will sit back and throw stones at people who haven't gotten their fair chance.

END RANT

I don't know how much pressure for success we can rightly place on Hakstol in his first season. However, I have seen a dramatic change in the Sioux this past season. It seems that when they are losing, and being outplayed they start clutching and grabbing, playing cheap hockey. Could this be due, in part, to the influence of the new coaching staff?

I miss the Sioux teams that played fast and exciting hockey, players that weren't chippy, and didn't take cheap shots. If you ask me, that kind of play is better left to teams like St. Cloud or even the Gophers.

I don't know how much pressure for success we can rightly place on Hakstol in his first season. However, I have seen a dramatic change in the Sioux this past season. It seems that when they are losing, and being outplayed they start clutching and grabbing, playing cheap hockey.

I'm not sure if I'd agree with this? I haven't seen a lick of desperation in the boyz all year.

Could this be due, in part, to the influence of the new coaching staff?

If you are right, three defensive coaches, probably.

I miss the Sioux teams that played fast and exciting hockey, players that weren't chippy, and didn't take cheap shots.

We're fast. Just not at the right times. Wake up and smell the coffee, rubbing is racing. Blatantcy although is not condoned.

If you ask me, that kind of play is better left to teams like St. Cloud or even the Gophers.

Amen, and tell your brother to be a stone wall this weekend. :glare:

While all 3 of those that you mentioned are highly talented players, I don't feel that any of them are ready to go pro, and they could use another year or two of preparing at the college level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly, what fans think has absolutely no influence on what players decide to do.

This Sioux season is like the parade at the end of Animal House.  It started out fine, but has gone steadily down hill since then.  And guys like Redwing are the equivalent of Kevin Bacon at the end of Animal House, running around and screaming "All is well" when it clearly isn't.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you're using the Animal House metaphor then I quess it depends on whose perspective your looking from. From Belusi's perch up on Coast-to-Coast and later driving away in the white convertable, only to become a senator. I'd say he had a pretty clear view of the future.

It all boils down to how passionate you are vs how much you want to anal-ize things. Go give Bjorkman a call to discuss your insecurities, Hak doesn't have his number though so don't ask him for it.

BDB, You're entitled to your opinion. I do disagree and feel you're wrong though. I'll eat my hat if we get swept in CC, but...

"That's just not gonna happen. You and I both know it."

"USA Hockey,... Please hold"