SiouxSports.com Forum

Go Team Canada

Let'sGoHawks!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laughed the first time they did the "bel-a-rus" chant. It was at the Canada - Finland game. It wasn't as funny the next time tho...the joke was just overdone. I thought the Canadians were great fans and added alot of life to the tourney and to the building. Too bad we can't bring those black horns to the Sioux games (not the air canister ones, the real ones that you blow into manually). I'd love to have one and sound it in approval when the goalie makes a great save or the Sioux score a goal or Greene makes a big hit. But alas, I've heard they don't allow noise makers at the Sioux games. I guess everyone in Canada has one. I think it would make our players feel more at home (LOL).

The reason the USA is not in the gold medal game is because only a few players apparently understand that if you're going to wait until the other team loses the puck, you're going to have to wait a long time. You have to TAKE the puck from them. Instead, I saw a complete lack of checking on both ends and it cost them control of the game. And what happened to shooting the puck and taking a rebound? WTF? They looked like the gophers, passing it around and not taking a shot. Someone here has a motto (I forget who) that goes: If you don't shoot the puck you don't score, if you don't score you don't get laid. So shoot the damn puck.

I'm for the Canadians kicking Russia's sorry butts. I, for one, am raising my hand to my ear everytime Canada scores tomorrow and I hope all USA attendees do the same...We'll see how that plays on ESPN and TSN...9000 people raising their hands to their ears in unison should make the point...just as long as the Canadian players don't do it...

I just hope that if Ovechkin does his little "move" on Glass in between periods, that one of Canada's monster D-men beat him down like Suter wanted to do.

Ovechking is an amazing hockey player (I think the best in the tourney), but I have never seen a more arrogant player, ever. I can't think of any other time I have seen a player (Ovechkin) come out before the goalie to start the game or periods.

I just hope that if Ovechkin does his little "move" on Glass in between periods, that one of Canada's monster D-men beat him down like Suter wanted to do.

Ovechking is an amazing hockey player (I think the best in the tourney), but I have never seen a more arrogant player, ever.  I can't think of any other time I have seen a player (Ovechkin) come out before the goalie to start the game or periods.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think his career will turn out just like Jagr's, another kiss blowing showboater. Ovechkin has lots of talent and will tally plenty of Pro points, but in the end he will move from team to team as he annoys owners, fans and teammates alike. I wish they had both pursued figure skating and left the game to the real players of the best game on the planet. Then their kiss blowing would be understandable. Heck they could have given them to each other.

Finally, it appeared to many US fans that the officials were biased.

Skateshattrick,

Just to reiterate that my view of the game was not seen through Maple Leaf-colored glasses, here is an excerpt from a column by ESPN.com's E.J. Hradek:

"If Team USA is going to win this bronze medal, they'll have to play a smarter game -- starting with staying out of the penalty box. While many players grumbled about the officiating after the semifinal loss to Russia, most of the calls weren't unwarranted. In fact, during the game's final minutes, the Americans embarrassed themselves by taking several unnecessary runs at Team Russia players."

Which brings me back to my original response to these posts claiming the U.S. players did an exemplary job of turning the other cheek when it came to the actions of the Russian players.

It will be no different in the gold medal game. The Russians will not suddenly change their ways and the Canadians' ability or inability to turn the other cheek will be an absolutely critical factor in the outcome of the game.

Suter is by far the best d-man on the US team - which may not say much. IMO the only mistakes he has made have been trying to cover for his parter, who is usually in the completely wrong place. He seems to be the only player on the US team that really cares out there (except maybe Stafford).

After the Canadian D I still think Suter was the best in the tourny and may be named all tourny. Although I would agree that there are probably 3 other D along with Phaneuf on Canada that would deserve it.

As for most disapointing players I would say:

- Montoya - he has played ok, but needed to play great.

- Callahan - he needed to score more than one goal

- Pineault - he is just a bad hockey player, and a whiner

- The D as a whole - with maybe exceptions for Borer and Likens- who I think have played ok. I also stand by my opinion that Suter played well. Goligoski has been terrible - and I thought he was the front runner for ROY in the WCHA. Hunwick has been just as bad.

Just think next year the WJ team could have Lee, Jones and Chorney :silly:

We must not have been watching the same game, because from my completely neutral (at least for that game) perspective, that is exactly what happened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a name like Canuck your can't claim to be objective your looking at it from a perspective of a Candian. Nice try. The Russian are a bunch of classless hacks.

I agree that the D has been horrible. Goligoski and Hunwick were bad. I wasn't impressed with Hagemo either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was actually very impressed by Hagemo. He made a couple of mistakes, but I thought he was very solid. He plays alot bigger than he is.

Skateshattrick,

Just to reiterate that my view of the game was not seen through Maple Leaf-colored glasses, here is an excerpt from a column by ESPN.com's E.J. Hradek:

"If Team USA is going to win this bronze medal, they'll have to play a smarter game -- starting with staying out of the penalty box. While many players grumbled about the officiating after the semifinal loss to Russia, most of the calls weren't unwarranted. In fact, during the game's final minutes, the Americans embarrassed themselves by taking several unnecessary runs at Team Russia players."

Which brings me back to my original response to these posts claiming the U.S. players did an exemplary job of turning the other cheek when it came to the actions of the Russian players.

It will be no different in the gold medal game. The Russians will not suddenly change their ways and the Canadians' ability or inability to turn the other cheek will be an absolutely critical factor in the outcome of the game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Canuck, you cannot possibly expect to come on this board with that moniker and claim you were "appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks" and then expect to be taken as neutral or unbiased. Really, not the best way to make your point with this crowd. The implication is, that under similar circumstances, this behavior would never occur north of the border. Right. Record beer sales at the REA didn't happen because of the German contingent in Grand Forks.

Like you, I was disappointed in Team USA's undisciplined penalties. But, unlike you and apparently Hradek, I don't attribute it to players with vindictive attitudes more interested in fighting than hockey. Rather, I saw a tired group of guys pour their guts out and then get their noses rubbed in it in front of the home crowd. Is it right to lose control? No. Is it understandable? Absolutely.

Combine the hand-to-the-ear thing, the diving, 2 deliberate net violations, the post-ENG taunting, the coaching involvement, and Robo-boy actually pointing to his own name on his jersey and you have the most childish display of non-sportsmanship I've seen since I beat my 4 year-old in Chutes and Ladders.

So, while USA can be faulted for getting p!ssed and taking some dumb penalties, I think the Russians should be grateful they got off the ice with only a little bit of blood spilled. You may not find that very suitable for a group of young athletes, but then you've probably never competed for a world title.

taz says, Go Canada!

An interesting warning from the Canadians to IIHF and the Russians (Ovechkin). Do what you did in the US game, and there will be big problems, and something on the order of 1987 could happen again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope we don't have to see any more antics by the Russians. Eventually they will have to cool it when they get to the NHL. I watched the Canadians the other day against Finland and they were solid. Like I mentioned earlier a scout had told me that Russians were not recieved real well when they made their exhibtion tour. Apparently there were a few elbows thrown at the offending players.

Hopefully the Americans can beat the CZECH tomorrow, I am psyched I am there. When they scored their first goal on Thurday night they did the same Shhhh too.

With a name like Canuck your can't claim to be objective your looking at it from a perspective of a Candian. Nice try. The Russian are a bunch of classless hacks.
Well, as a matter of fact, since it was a game NOT involving Canada...yes, I CAN look at the game objectively.

Canuck, you cannot possibly expect to come on this board with that moniker and claim you were "appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks" and then expect to be taken as neutral or unbiased. Really, not the best way to make your point with this crowd.

Well, since I AM one of the hockey fans of Grand Forks, I believe I have the right to make such an observation. I just wanted to provide a viewpoint from BOTH sides. You can't condemn lowly actions of one side without doing the same for the other.

The implication is, that under similar circumstances, this behavior would never occur north of the border.

Tell me where this was implied. As a matter of fact, I posted that I was disgusted that Winnipeg fans would boo the Star Spangled Banner at a Jets game.

The fact of the matter is I was reading a thread were the U.S. players were being complimented for not taking cheap shots at the taunting Russian players. I simply saw the same game differently and tried to bring my point of view to the topic. Don't see the harm in that. As a matter of fact, I also came right out and said the antics of the Russian team were deplorable.

I wanted to see Team USA beat Team Canada in the gold medal game, but I'll be there cheering for Canada tonight. Canadians are our brothers--sometimes they feel like little brothers and that explains quite a bit about the complex relationship between our great nations.

Let's go Canada!

An interesting warning from the Canadians to IIHF and the Russians (Ovechkin). Do what you did in the US game, and there will be big problems, and something on the order of 1987 could happen again.

From that story:

At the beginning of a period, Ovechkin's ritual is often to skate down before the puck is dropped and pretend to be shooting at the goaltender and scoring.

He crosses the center red line before the opening puck drop? Opening bid on that is two for unsportsmanlike and depending on how that goes the closing could (should?) be done by the team trainer (if you get my drift).

From that story:

He crosses the center red line before the opening puck drop? Opening bid on that is two for unsportsmanlike and depending on how that goes the closing could (should?) be done by the team trainer (if you get my drift).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would personally love to see him do that and have belle just absolutely flatten him. it's been an awesome tourney, but that would seal the deal. to see a large sumbitch pancake an arrogant russian, my wwe tickets would be on e-bay cuz it doesn't get any better than that. :(

And bitch all you want about the big, bad Canadian fans (damn bullies!!!) making light of the U.S. loss to Belarus, but I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Grand Forks who took it upon themselves to boo two Russian players while they laid on the ice BLEEDING. Then, on one of those occasions, booing the penalty call when the pool of blood on the ice clearly indicated it was the right call.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Canada who took it upon themselves to boo a Russian Player while he laid on the ice in apparent pain/injury.

I was appalled at the lack of class shown by the so-called great hockey fans of Canada who took it upon themselves to boo a Russian Player while he laid on the ice in apparent pain/injury.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Canadian fans in section 102 sank to a new low last night. Their behavior, taunts and language were classless and embarrassing (and I have pretty thick skin).

And altough I certainly don't condone Ovechkin's antics on the ice especially during the semifinal game with USA, the language directed toward him once he appeared on the Russian bench last night, right arm in a sling, was beyond offensive.

Throughout the tourney, I enjoyed the chants, cheers and general behavior of the Canadian fans, last night, at least in part, I did not.

As the one ad in the program said - Relax, it is just a game. And when your team is up 6-1 in the third, calling out an injured, 19-year old who wasn't even playing, with language that isn't worthy of print was unnecessary.

Just as players can show poor sportsmanship on the ice, so too can fans in the stands. Last night, that Canadian fans sitting near me made that very evident.

The Canadian fans in section 102 sank to a new low last night. Their behavior, taunts and language were classless and embarrassing (and I have pretty thick skin).

And altough I certainly don't condone Ovechkin's antics on the ice especially during the semifinal game with USA, the language directed toward him once he appeared on the Russian bench last night, right arm in a sling, was beyond offensive.

Throughout the tourney, I enjoyed the chants, cheers and general behavior of the Canadian fans, last night, at least in part, I did not.

As the one ad in the program said - Relax, it is just a game. And when your team is up 6-1 in the third, calling out an injured, 19-year old who wasn't even playing, with language that isn't worthy of print was unnecessary.

Just as players can show poor sportsmanship on the ice, so too can fans in the stands. Last night, that Canadian fans sitting near me made that very evident.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Due to the lack of respect for the game and the dive queens maybe the Russians

deserved what they got!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!