SiouxSports.com Forum

Michigan Tech

Let'sGoHawks!

Anyone with some information about Tech?  Isn't their stud QB out for the year with a knee injury?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No updates on the Tech web site; the story from the GVSU loss (their last game) says:

The nation's fourth-best rusher Lee Marana, NFL prospect right tackle Joe Berger and three-year starting quarterback Dan Mettlach all sustained game-ending injuries in the opening 25 minutes.

http://www.athletics.mtu.edu/MFB/mfb.html

Also mixed messages on the d2 message board. Some say the qb is done, others say all injured players will play.

The qb apparently has at least a fairly serious knee injury, so my guess is that even if he does play, he's not going to be very mobile. Judging by their stats, they're a run-first offense as they are averaging something like 280 yards per game running and about 180 passing. UND has, of course, traditionally done very well against primarily running offenses, with the exception of UNO. Weather will probably be a big factor which will likely limit both teams' passing. I suspect this will be a low-scoring, defensive game, and UND thrives in that kind of situation. UND will almost certainly have a special teams edge, although yesterday was certainly not the special teams' best game by any means. Hopefully Tech will not be able to punt away from Dressler like St. Cloud did.

My logic is this: I'm willing to bet anything that this year's Michigan Tech is not as good as last year's Grand Valley team, and we certainly weren't overmatched in that game. I think we're basically the same as last year--worse on offense but better on defense so those two basically cancel each other out. Playing on the road instead of a neutral site certainly plays a factor, but Michigan's Tech's complete lack of playoff experience and having either a hobbled or a very inexperienced quarterback negate that advantage somewhat. A close game favors UND because of the experience factor both in the playoffs and in close games. Now that the road playoff monkey is off our backs, I think the Sioux pull this one out by a score of somewhere in the neighborhood of 13-10.

They have a great running back and a great offensive line. Thier defense is also very good. Thier QB is also very good but may be done for the season. To win the GLIAC they have to be good. The main reason GVSU beat them was because they had some key starter injuries in the first half. Not sure if it made a difference because GV was ahead when they went out. I think if they played the game in Houghton and made GV travel up there it may have been a different outcome. They put a serious whoopin on #2 seed Northwood 55-0 so they must be very good.

Does anyone know how far of a drive it is to Mich. Tech.?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is so far that all but one of thier road trips are from 8-16 hours on the bus one way. They might be closer to you guys though since they are in the NW part of the UP in Michigan. Looks like the team gets to fly because it is over 500 miles.

But here it is for you.

Start: Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States

End: Houghton, Michigan, United States

Total Distance: 503.6 Miles

Estimated Total Time: 10 hours, 17 minutes

Start: Depart Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States on US-2 Bus [sR-297] (North-East) 0.4

1: Entering Minnesota

2: Keep STRAIGHT onto US-2 Bus [Demers Ave] 0.1

3: Turn RIGHT (South-East) onto US-2 Bus [4th St NW] 0.3

4: Keep STRAIGHT onto US-2 Bus [4th St NE] 0.1

5: Bear RIGHT (East) onto US-2 Bus 2.1

6: Turn RIGHT (South) onto US-2 [sR-220] 21.8

7: Turn RIGHT (South) onto US-2 [uS-75] 0.3

8: Turn LEFT to stay on US-2 [uS-75] 157.0

9: Resurfacing between Fosston and Erskine (June 2, 2004 - October 29, 2004)

10: Keep STRAIGHT onto US-169 [uS-2] 0.4

11: Turn RIGHT (South) onto US-2 62.6

12: Keep STRAIGHT onto SR-194 7.6

13: Bear RIGHT (East) onto US-53 [sR-194] 5.9

14: Turn RIGHT (South) onto US-53 [Trinity Rd] 2.7

15: Turn LEFT (East) onto US-53 [Piedmont Ave] 0.9

16: Road Closed in Duluth (January 5, 2004 - October 29, 2004)

17: Turn RIGHT to stay on US-53 [Piedmont Ave] 0.4

18: Keep STRAIGHT onto Ramp towards I-535 / US-53 / Wisconsin 0.1

19: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto I-535 [uS-53] towards I-535 / US-53 / Wisconsin 2.6

20: Entering Wisconsin

21: Turn RIGHT onto Ramp towards WI-35 / US-2 E / US-53 S 0.1

22: Take Ramp (RIGHT) onto US-53 [sR-35] towards US-2 E / US-53 S 1.8

23: Keep STRAIGHT onto US-2 [uS-53] 113.0

24: Entering Michigan

25: Reconstruction between Wakefield and Bessemer (June 11, 2004 - January 28, 2005)

26: Turn LEFT (North) onto SR-28 [sunday Lake St] 74.3

27: Keep STRAIGHT onto US-141 [sR-28] 4.2

28: Turn LEFT (North) onto US-41 12.4

29: Turn LEFT to stay on US-41 32.3

End: Arrive Houghton, Michigan, United States

Michigan Tech averages 2891 fans this year and has broken the single game attendance record several times. Coming into this season, MTU had only two crowds in the school's history that exceeded 3,000. :)

As far as having the game televised, I'm not sure if it's possible. I have a copy of the MTU media guide and it states that the press box has just four booths in it-- two for the radio teams and two for the coaching staffs. Unless Pat Sweeney wants to do the play by play from the sidelines, it's not looking good. :lol:

Michigan Tech averages 2891 fans this year and has broken the single game attendance record several times. Coming into this season, MTU had only two crowds in the school's history that exceeded 3,000. :)

As far as having the game televised, I'm not sure if it's possible. I have a copy of the MTU media guide and it states that the press box has just four booths in it-- two for the radio teams and two for the coaching staffs. Unless Pat Sweeney wants to do the play by play from the sidelines, it's not looking good. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like Tech has top of the line facilities...for a middle school team! I expect their team to be much better than their facilities.

Big deal on the weather. We just have to fight through it. We played in the wind last week and we practice in the cold. Any precipitation should cause more problems for Tech and their passing game.

I would not mind playing in crappy weather, because it's always crappy weather for the championship game.