#1siouxfan22

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ENJOY THE SEASON!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess we can look at it this way. Handy might have a point. There are more tragic things happening in the world. I can think of some men and women in uniform defending our country and I like many are B!TCHING about a hockey game.

I woke up kind of bumbed out but managed to lift my spirits up by shooting three huge deer in 4 hours, realized that life isn't that bad. Oh yeah the damb packers beat the vikes again.

On to this week the Huskies come to town and I think UND can get a couple of wins and right the ship.

Random thoughts from a fan that is sick of people belittling the program:

(1)  Some of you idiots remove your head from your @#$ and realize that there have been alot of changes from last year and it will take time for the transition.

(2)  It ain't how you are playing in early November that matters - look at Denver.

(3)  Yes this team has issues but this ship can be righted - we as Sioux fans need to have some confidence in the program.  Didn't we win a few titles before Blais, before Gasparini etc...

(4)  That DAR and NEOFLIXX or NEONUTS or whatever the he!! his name is, get a fliipin clue or if I am really lucky never post again on this site.

(5) Funny how once a coach like Blais is gone, all you remember are the glory years and that he could do no wrong.

(6)  Blais empowered Hak with the recruiting function that brought in players like Paraise - the well will continue to run deep. 

(7)  Look at some of the positives - Lammy is the real deal,  Zajac looks like a natural goal scorer, our schedule in the next month is a hell of alot better than the last month.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a right to my opinion and if you do not like it too damn bad!! I agree that the jury is still out on Hak. Of course there are a few positives this season, but this team has earned the right to be criticized especially with the constant undisciplined play. And don't worry I have been posting on this site for some time and because you think i "need to get a flippin clue does not mean s&!t to me"!! This team has more veterans than most of the teams in the league with a large senior class, they are playing like I thought next year's team would play with a ton of new players. Therefore, I do not feel that people who have valid criticisms of the team should be called out. After all this is a discussion forum, if you do not like differing opinions from your own then don't read it.

Wow! There are certainly two extremes on this message board. The first extreme are those who are calling for Hakstol's head. The second extreme are those with green-colored glasses who view it as blasphemy to even utter a disparaging word about Sioux hockey and Dave Hakstol. An objective view will tell you that you are both right and both wrong. In other words, there is cause for concern, but it is early.

Obvious concerns:

1. The powerplay. The Sioux dump the puck in, send 3 forwards into the corner, and about 1/2 of the time, gain possession. Additionally, no one moves, meaning that if the opponent pressures the puck, there is a good chance that the Sioux will have no success.

On the other hand, this is a problem that has plagued the Sioux for several years, including last year when they had the 2 best forwards in the country. Is this Hakstol's issue (he ran the PP last year) or is it Dean Blais?

2. Passion and hustle. The game against the Gophers that the Sioux lost 6-0 was one of the most uninspired and worst performances that I have ever seen by a Sioux team, and I have watched Sioux hockey for many, many years. It is one thing to come out flat, but against the Gophers?? at home?? This has been a problem to a lesser extent all year.

On the other hand, the Sioux played hard on Saturday against Wisconsin, so they are showing signs of life. Consistency is still a problem.

3. The Sioux seem too big and slow. When is the last time that you saw a Wisconsin team that was quicker?? CC and Minnesota are also quicker. We need to get back to the teams of the last 90's that were smaller and quicker. We look like Denver and Wisconsin of past years. Along with that, we are becoming a dump and chase team, which is not the style used by Dean Blais, who learned from Herb Brooks. Recall that Herb Brooks said that dump and chase hockey went out with short pants.

On the other hand, this is not all Dave Hakstol's fault. Yes, he recruited these players, but Dean Blais was the head coach, so presumably that is the direction that Coach Blais wanted to go.

4. Discipline. The Sioux take too many penalties, most of which are untimely and wear them out. This is a major issue. It is simply an excuse to blame the new rules, because everyone knew that they were coming and you have to adjust. Plus, we can't have it both ways. We clamored for tighter officiating when Parise was getting mugged every night, so we should theoretically be happy that the game is being called tighter. Besides, excuses are unbecoming and make us look like Woog, Mazzoco, Sid Hartman and the numerous Gopher posters on USCHO, most notably Happy.

This has to get better and will get better. The Sioux have too many senior leaders. When it does, the Sioux will have more success.

5. Recruiting. I also have concerns about the style of players that Hakstol and Berry recruit as opposed to Sandelin. They generally recruit bigger stay-at-home defenseman who play an NHL style. However, the college game is different, thank God. In college, there is room for Larry Olimb, Mike Crowley, Curtis Murphy, Russ Parent, Keith Ballard, and other "smaller" defenseman with great offensive skills. In fact, those players typically thrive in college hockey because of the bigger ice sheets, speed of the game and less obstruction. The forwards are also getting bigger and slower. I am also concerned that we will ignore Minnesota and ND as recruiting grounds. We need balance---western Canada, Minnesota, ND, etc.

On the other hand, it is way too early to tell. We need to at least finish this year and see where this team is at. This was supposed to be a team that competes THIS YEAR (every team has a tough schedule at some point). Next year was supposed to be the struggle.

BOTTOM LINE: It is way too early to panic. We have played a tough schedule and there is a lot of hockey to be played. However, I agree that we need to have a very short leash. If this team does not have success this year, this program simply cannot have patience for several years. The new rink is dependent upon being full, which is directly tied to winning. I was a season ticket holder in the early 90's when the Sioux were at the bottom, and it was not fun. You could have thrown a rock in any direction without fear of hitting anyone. This is one of the top 3 coaching jobs in the country, and there will be no shortage of applicants should Dave Hakstol not succeed. We can't simply spew the company line and get mad at posters because they see problems with the coaching decision. I thought that is why we have a message board where persons can express opinions and dissent. Personally, I'm very concerned as well and I don't like what I see. However, I am not going to panic---I am going to see what happens the rest of the year.

Wow! There are certainly two extremes on this message board. The first extreme are those who are calling for Hakstol's head. The second extreme are those with green-colored glasses who view it as blasphemy to even utter a disparaging word about Sioux hockey and Dave Hakstol. An objective view will tell you that you are both right and both wrong. In other words, there is cause for concern, but it is early.

Obvious concerns:

1. The powerplay. The Sioux dump the puck in, send 3 forwards into the corner, and about 1/2 of the time, gain possession. Additionally, no one moves, meaning that if the opponent pressures the puck, there is a good chance that the Sioux will have no success.

On the other hand, this is a problem that has plagued the Sioux for several years, including last year when they had the 2 best forwards in the country. Is this Hakstol's issue (he ran the PP last year) or is it Dean Blais?

2. Passion and hustle. The game against the Gophers that the Sioux lost 6-0 was one of the most uninspired and worst performances that I have ever seen by a Sioux team, and I have watched Sioux hockey for many, many years. It is one thing to come out flat, but against the Gophers?? at home?? This has been a problem to a lesser extent all year.

On the other hand, the Sioux played hard on Saturday against Wisconsin, so they are showing signs of life. Consistency is still a problem.

3. The Sioux seem too big and slow. When is the last time that you saw a Wisconsin team that was quicker?? CC and Minnesota are also quicker. We need to get back to the teams of the last 90's that were smaller and quicker. We look like Denver and Wisconsin of past years. Along with that, we are becoming a dump and chase team, which is not the style used by Dean Blais, who learned from Herb Brooks. Recall that Herb Brooks said that dump and chase hockey went out with short pants.

On the other hand, this is not all Dave Hakstol's fault. Yes, he recruited these players, but Dean Blais was the head coach, so presumably that is the direction that Coach Blais wanted to go.

4. Discipline. The Sioux take too many penalties, most of which are untimely and wear them out. This is a major issue. It is simply an excuse to blame the new rules, because everyone knew that they were coming and you have to adjust. Plus, we can't have it both ways. We clamored for tighter officiating when Parise was getting mugged every night, so we should theoretically be happy that the game is being called tighter. Besides, excuses are unbecoming and make us look like Woog, Mazzoco, Sid Hartman and the numerous Gopher posters on USCHO, most notably Happy.

This has to get better and will get better. The Sioux have too many senior leaders. When it does, the Sioux will have more success.

5. Recruiting. I also have concerns about the style of players that Hakstol and Berry recruit as opposed to Sandelin. They generally recruit bigger stay-at-home defenseman who play an NHL style. However, the college game is different, thank God. In college, there is room for Larry Olimb, Mike Crowley, Curtis Murphy, Russ Parent, Keith Ballard, and other "smaller" defenseman with great offensive skills. In fact, those players typically thrive in college hockey because of the bigger ice sheets, speed of the game and less obstruction. The forwards are also getting bigger and slower. I am also concerned that we will ignore Minnesota and ND as recruiting grounds. We need balance---western Canada, Minnesota, ND, etc.

On the other hand, it is way too early to tell. We need to at least finish this year and see where this team is at. This was supposed to be a team that competes THIS YEAR (every team has a tough schedule at some point). Next year was supposed to be the struggle.

BOTTOM LINE: It is way too early to panic. We have played a tough schedule and there is a lot of hockey to be played. However, I agree that we need to have a very short leash. If this team does not have success this year, this program simply cannot have patience for several years. The new rink is dependent upon being full, which is directly tied to winning. I was a season ticket holder in the early 90's when the Sioux were at the bottom, and it was not fun. You could have thrown a rock in any direction without fear of hitting anyone.  This is one of the top 3 coaching jobs in the country, and there will be no shortage of applicants should Dave Hakstol not succeed. We can't simply spew the company line and get mad at posters because they see problems with the coaching decision. I thought that is why we have a message board where persons can express opinions and dissent. Personally, I'm very concerned as well and I don't like what I see. However, I am not going to panic---I am going to see what happens the rest of the year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well said, my thoughts pretty much exactly without having to do all the typing!!

Obvious concerns:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From INCH:

Fighting Sioux are tied for 50th in scoring offense (2.25 gpg) and rank 52nd in power play success (11.4%). No, we didn't just make that up.

52nd out of 58 D1 teams on the power play - not good . . .

I think that if you remember the first season of Dean Blais his stats are not great he had 19 wins,18 loses and 1 tie. This is Haks first year so give him time to adjust from being an assisant coach to the head coach there are adjustments for him and the players. Just another little stat the year 2001-2002 Blais's record was 16 wins and 19 loses and 2 ties so even the best can not be the best. Calm down and let the year play out. Also we lost a lot of fire power and you also have to remember with Brady out it even seems like more fire power gone and he might be the little spark that is missing. But you need to have patience. Hak will do fine but like all good things it takes time.

I think that if you remember the first season of Dean Blais his stats are not great he had 19 wins,18 loses and 1 tie. This is Haks first year so give him time to adjust from being an assisant coach to the head coach there are adjustments for him and the players. Just another little stat the year 2001-2002  Blais's record was 16 wins and 19 loses and 2 ties so even the best can not be the best. Calm down and let the year play out. Also we lost a lot of fire power and you also have to remember with Brady out it even seems like more fire power gone and he might be the little spark that is missing. But you need to have patience. Hak will do fine but like all good things it takes time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree patience is in order, but you are comparing apples and oranges. When Dean Blais took over, the Sioux had very little talent and had been a cellar dweller for 3 years, resulting in the dismissal of Gino Gasparini. Quite frankly, he revived a dead or dying program, much like Scott Sandelin has done in Duluth. By contrast, Hakstol inherited a senior laden team that was 30-8-3, and only lost 3 significant players. Granted, Parise and Bochenski were probably the best forward combination in the country, but the well was not dry. The Sioux returned ALL of the defense, the 2 goaltenders, and 3 lines of forwards. Plus, this team was expected to compete for a WCHA title and a national championship without Zach and Bo. With the returning defense, one would not have expected the Sioux to get outshot most nights and rarely hold the opposition to less than 25 shots. Granted, it is early, but that is cause for concern.

The Sioux are being oushot 346-310 and outscored 33-27 vs last year where we outshot opps. 1447-961 and outscored them 182-90,even if you take out Bos and Zachs goals it's 132-90.When Hakstol was hired he said he would keep the same systems with just a little tweaking.I think he must have fogotten the forecheck and offensive pressure along with passing drills and no stupid penalties,maybe Hakstol has to tell Greene the next penalty he goes to the showers and sits the next game in the stands.After watching the Wis. series it seems like Hakstol maybe is a little confused about what to do to shake things up.

Very well said, my thoughts pretty much exactly without having to do all the typing!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh, no. I think these were your thoughts, and were the kind that had so many people coming to the team's defense:

This is just a bunch of s&!t. This is a veteran team and they are playing like a bunch of babies. At this rate the Ralph will have 5,000 people a game by the end of the season. Yes, I am pushing the panic button. Coach Hak is in over his head. There is no way he is going to be able to draw the top recruits the way Blaiser did. I can see in about a year or two UND will be 80% Canadian and we will no longer be competitive for the top recruits in the US. If we are going to average two goals a game we can kiss home ice and a shot at the NCAA's goodbye!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seriously, if you had posted something with the tone of skateshattrick's message, no one would have had a problem with it and a good discussion could have followed.

skateshattrick, thanks for your reasoned analysis of concerns. I have a few comments:

1. Big and slow. Just in looking at the additions and subtractions from last year's team, it's hard to see the Sioux as slower this year.

Out:

Parise (not necessarily a burner, but a terrific skater)

Bochenski (better than advertised, but still not a great skater)

Lundbohm (seemed to be one of the slower forwards)

Hale (good speed, but not quickness)

In:

Zajac (better than Hale and Lundbohm, maybe equal to junior-year Bochenski)

Spirko (nice agility, not sure about speed. Any opinions?)

Kaip (at least Hale-like, with good speed when he gets going)

Radke (haven't seen enough to know, but was advertised as a skater)

Having Murray out might not help the appearance of team speed, as you take out the fastest skater and replace him with Canady, Fabian or Foyt. Also, Stafford seems to me to have lost a step. On the other hand, both Porter and Schneider seem a step quicker to me this year.

2. Discipline. Of course I have no choice but to agree, because to argue on the side of an ill-disciplined team is folly, but I think it is just not that simple. You said: "It is simply an excuse to blame the new rules, because everyone knew that they were coming and you have to adjust." Although the same rules apply to everyone, it is unfortunate that they came in a year when UND has (I believe hands-down) the biggest, most physical defensive group in the country. It's easy to tell a defense that didn't check much anyway: "don't check." But it's another thing altogether to tell that to a defense that punished the opposition mercilessly last year. In the Saturday debacle against MN, Woog correctly marveled at how open the middle was for the Gophers' forwards, and wondered where the thicket of long arms and sticks was from the previous year. I'll tell you where they were: trying not to take a penalty. I know there is a lot of room to be physical without going over the line, and that a lot of the cross-checks are certainly avoidable, but I think it all fits together and still needs to be sorted out.

However you want to analyze the effect of the rules, I do know that I considered Jones and Greene the best defensive pair of defensemen in the country last year, the ones you would want on the ice late in the game. This year, they have not been nearly that, and might have been a liability so far.

On this topic, I have to say that I find suggestions that Greene is selfish and doesn't care about the team to be unfair. I have heard that he has really been struggling with the adjustment, trying to stay out of the box and still play the good defense he has been known for.

3. Recruiting. If you want to get smaller, next year will be the year for you. Lots of smaller forwards, and the defensive group will change even more. I have to admit to hoping that Ryan Duncan can be a Dave Hoogsteen type player.

Overall, I'm concerned but still hopeful. I've only seen them live for the two games against CC, and I thought they looked very solid, with the potential to be excellent. In the Friday game (which unbelievably ended up a loss), I said to someone: "Geez, if the Sioux suck, what does that say about CC?" because it really was the men-against-the-boys for most of that game.

Re this:

Obvious concerns:

5. Recruiting. I also have concerns about the style of players that Hakstol and Berry recruit as opposed to Sandelin. They generally recruit bigger stay-at-home defenseman who play an NHL style. However, the college game is different, thank God. In college, there is room for Larry Olimb, Mike Crowley, Curtis Murphy, Russ Parent, Keith Ballard, and other "smaller" defenseman with great offensive skills. In fact, those players typically thrive in college hockey because of the bigger ice sheets, speed of the game and less obstruction. The forwards are also getting bigger and slower.

I agree with skateshattrick on these points (of course, this team would look considerably different with Parise, Bochenski, and Murray in the lineup). The Sioux are not a very dynamic hockey team right now.

If you look at upcoming recruiting classes, there is some evidence that the coaching staff may be making some adjustments. The three defensemen that have committed to UND (Brian Lee, Taylor Chorney, and Zach Jones) are all highly mobile, good puck movers. I think Kyle Radke will be very good in time. Also, the BCHL forward recruits for next year are smaller, quick players with offensive skill.

Uh, no. I think these were your thoughts, and were the kind that had so many people coming to the team's defense:

Seriously, if you had posted something with the tone of skateshattrick's message, no one would have had a problem with it and a good discussion could have followed.

skateshattrick, thanks for your reasoned analysis of concerns. I have a few comments:

1. Big and slow. Just in looking at the additions and subtractions from last year's team, it's hard to see the Sioux as slower this year.

Out:

Parise (not necessarily a burner, but a terrific skater)

Bochenski (better than advertised, but still not a great skater)

Lundbohm (seemed to be one of the slower forwards)

Hale (good speed, but not quickness)

In:

Zajac (better than Hale and Lundbohm, maybe equal to junior-year Bochenski)

Spirko (nice agility, not sure about speed. Any opinions?)

Kaip (at least Hale-like, with good speed when he gets going)

Radke (haven't seen enough to know, but was advertised as a skater)

Having Murray out might not help the appearance of team speed, as you take out the fastest skater and replace him with Canady, Fabian or Foyt. Also, Stafford seems to me to have lost a step. On the other hand, both Porter and Schneider seem a step quicker to me this year.

2. Discipline. Of course I have no choice but to agree, because to argue on the side of an ill-disciplined team is folly, but I think it is just not that simple. You said: "It is simply an excuse to blame the new rules, because everyone knew that they were coming and you have to adjust." Although the same rules apply to everyone, it is unfortunate that they came in a year when UND has (I believe hands-down) the biggest, most physical defensive group in the country. It's easy to tell a defense that didn't check much anyway: "don't check." But it's another thing altogether to tell that to a defense that punished the opposition mercilessly last year. In the Saturday debacle against MN, Woog correctly marveled at how open the middle was for the Gophers' forwards, and wondered where the thicket of long arms and sticks was from the previous year. I'll tell you where they were: trying not to take a penalty. I know there is a lot of room to be physical without going over the line, and that a lot of the cross-checks are certainly avoidable, but I think it all fits together and still needs to be sorted out.

However you want to analyze the effect of the rules, I do know that I considered Jones and Greene the best defensive pair of defensemen in the country last year, the ones you would want on the ice late in the game. This year, they have not been nearly that, and might have been a liability so far.

On this topic, I have to say that I find suggestions that Greene is selfish and doesn't care about the team to be unfair. I have heard that he has really been struggling with the adjustment, trying to stay out of the box and still play the good defense he has been known for.

3. Recruiting. If you want to get smaller, next year will be the year for you. Lots of smaller forwards, and the defensive group will change even more. I have to admit to hoping that Ryan Duncan can be a Dave Hoogsteen type player.

Overall, I'm concerned but still hopeful. I've only seen them live for the two games against CC, and I thought they looked very solid, with the potential to be excellent. In the Friday game (which unbelievably ended up a loss), I said to someone: "Geez, if the Sioux suck, what does that say about CC?" because it really was the men-against-the-boys for most of that game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now this is the type of debate that I like! :lol: Your post is very reasonable. Although we don't necessarily agree on every point, these are at least reasonable arguments. People have to understand that these posts, whether postive or negative, are made because posters are passionate about the Sioux hockey team. I agree with you about Matt Greene. He is not selfish, and he is a good player. He does get calls against him based upon size and reputation. He does, however, need to start playing smarter, especially since he wears a C. I am also cautiously optimistic, but the Sioux need to start sweeping opponents at home, particularly seemingly inferior opponents like SCSU.

one thing i dont think people realize, all of our losses have been to quality teams. 1 loss to BC 1 loss to minnesota, 2 losses to wisconsin, and 1 loss to colorado college. All of these teams are in the top 5 in this weeks poll. True it isn't a great start, but 5-5-2 isn't bad with the schedule we played. Things will turn around when we start playing teams that are rated lower than #1-5 in the nation.