SiouxSports.com Forum

Final SSI / regional rankings calculation

jimdahl

Having punched in the important games highlighted here manually, I've updated the SSI.

Keep in mind that UNO and SCSU both have H2H wins over UND and UNO has an H2H win over SCSU. We've seen those H2H's make pretty big moves in the regional rankings, though not yet as big as the current gap between UND and UNO.

I'm still missing a few scores that could shift UND's SSI (though SCSU looks like the win is in hand, so we're really just waiting on Delta St). I'll update it again tonight when I get the rest of the D2 results, and in the morning after all the day's results are in.

Note -- the ONLY valid results on the SSI page right now are for the teams on the bubble in the Northwest; I'll have the full update before Sunday morning. The ONLY games from this week included in this calculation right now are:

Saginaw Valley St 47 @ Ferris St 14

Tiffin 39 @ Gannon 50

Ashland 21 @ Indianapolis 24

Grand Valley St 24 @ Michigan Tech 7

Northern Michigan 18 @ Northwood 48

Nebraska-Omaha 13 @ Minn St-Mankato 20

South Dakota 21 @ North Dakota 41

Northern St 44 @ SW Minnesota St 9

Based on Jim's numbers, it looks like UND is in an extremely good situation, but that is what has me concerned. We've seen it time and time again, teams in UND's situation that don't make it for all kinds of reasons, some valid, others that seemed like they came straight out of the elementary school "everybody gets a chance to play" rule. Hopefully that won't happen tommorrow.

It would be nice for Winona to lose, any updates?  I can't find any online anywhere!

While that could definitely affect seedings, remember that Winona is a lock for a playoff spot because of earned access.

Based on Jim's numbers, it looks like UND is in an extremely good situation, but that is what has me concerned.

I agree, it looks good for now. I don't see how GVSU gets ahead of UND, though the SSIs could tighten up pending some remaining results. The big question on seeding (and for GVSU making the playoffs), is how far is the committee willing to move teams based on head-to-head results. This season, I've never seen them move a team so far as to put UNO ahead of UND or SCSU, but you never know.

Explain earned access.  Why doesn't this apply to Omaha winning the NCC?

It's always been explained to me that earned access gets in a team in the top 10 (by NCAA rankings, not conference finish) if no other team from the conference is in the top 6. That wouldn't apply to UNO, since there will be an NCC team in the top 6.

If that's incorrect and the NCAA does give some sort of autobid for conference champs, that shouldn't affect UNO's ranking so their slot should be at GVSU's expense (again, with the caveat that I simply have no idea how much weight the committee is going to give UNO's head-to-head wins over SCSU and UND).

I believe it's the highest NCAA regional ranked team that gets in, not the conference champ.

Example: Winona loses to CSP, and CSP ends up going undefeated in NSIC play and is the conference champ, Winona's only loss is to CSP and is second in the conference. CSP loses three non-conf games, Winona wins all of their non-conf games. CSP is not ranked in the top 10, Winona is ranked 9. Winona would get the playoff spot, and the number 6 ranked team would get bumped.

1. Michigan Tech

2. Northwood

3. Winona State

4. St. Cloud State

5. North Dakota

6. Grand Valley State

Bob's Picks

I'll Knock on wood here because the Fat Lady hasn't sang yet, and she won't until about Noon tomarrow on what the final picks will be, but it looks like we can all say welcome to the Second season. :silly:

Bob's Picks

I'll Knock on wood here because the Fat Lady hasn't sang yet, and she won't until about Noon tomarrow on what the final picks will be, but it looks like we can all say welcome to the Second season. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll go out on a limb and say that if those are indeed the regional pairings, get ready for Sioux-Lakers III at the Alerus on Nov. 27

yeah, I was like, when did we lose a third game???  WTF?  where was I for that, I didn't get that drunk did I?

I have absolutely no idea what glitch those of you who check such things at 1am encountered, but the list of scores in my first post was printed directly from the database (Grand Valley St 24 @ Michigan Tech 7), and it looks right to me now, after the late night automated score harvesting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyway, the above-posted picks are the most obvious prediction from our SSI/win% numbers, so I would endorse those also. I still wonder exactly how far the head-to-head can move things (past weeks' rankings point to UNO jumping SCSU, but I think they'll resist that one because it would bump GVSU). Regardless, its hard to come up with a situation in which UND isn't in and we'll learn a little more about what happens in the smoky room. If they don't change much next year, I think we're pretty near the point of being able to accurately predict these regional rankings.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if those are indeed the regional pairings, get ready for Sioux-Lakers III at the Alerus on Nov. 27

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to bust your bubble but it will be an all GLIAC regional final with GVSU@Northwood. UND will lose at Northwood.

Sorry to bust your bubble but it will be an all GLIAC regional final with GVSU@Northwood. UND will lose at Northwood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the bracket, that can't happen..........sorry. Try not to hurt yourself when you miss the next bandwagon you are trying to jump on.

John 45:0

(I also posted these observations in a different thread.)

Anybody else surprised that they didn't swap the seeds to avoid the first round conference foe match-up? They do that in DI hockey, but apparently not here.

UND, St. Cloud, Michigan Tech: the WCHA side of the DII football bracket?

Anybody else surprised that they didn't swap the seeds to avoid the first round conference foe match-up? They do that in DI hockey, but apparently not here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The NCAA rules state that with the new playoff format, they would not hesitate to pair conference opponents if the rankings supported it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess they wanted the WCHA schools to knock each other out of the playoffs and give other schools a chance. Not that I've ever seen anything like that before with playoff seedings. :silly: