SiouxSports.com Forum

Top overachiever and Underachiever of all time

BringDeanBack

Just curious, who are some current or former Sioux players who either exceeded expectations or did not meet the expectations they had when they were recruited.

My list of underachievers in no particular order

1) James Massen - Thought that he would be able to score like a Lee Goren

2) Wes Dorey - Develped into a solid second line player but I think that most people expected more when he was recruited

3) Trevor Hammer - Seemed to disappear after a good start at UND

Overachievers

1) Brad Williamson

2) Jeff Panzer

3) Jason Noterman

Over-achiever: Matt Henderson. The guy went from almost being 86'd off the team to being 1997 Frozen Four MVP. It doesn't get any better than that. I'll never forget him picking off a center-ice pass and heading the other way for a huge goal against BU.

2) Wes Dorey - Develped into a solid second line player but I think that most people expected more when he was recruited

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(To the regular posters, just ignore this next part 'cause I'm sure I've stated it before.)

WD came in with a lot of expectations, which to be honest, he probably didn't reach or at least the level fans hoped he would . . .

BUT . . . . while at UND he dealt with the death of his mother (yes, I realize that death is a fact of life so he could "suck it up", however losing a parent when you are in your early twenties can be pretty devastating, and truthfully it is probably too personal a matter for discussion on a college hockey message board)

AND in his final game as a Sioux he was one of the 6 put on the ice by Blais with less then a minute to go; and on that shift WD scored the tying goal to send the team into OT (which they lost to BC -- it was the 2001 NCAA title game) so even if WD and some fans felt he didn't live up to his potential, Blais and Co must have held the belief that he was a key player to put him in that position that late in the game and he proved them right.

So the short answer is yes, he didn't live up to some fans expectations. But thank goodness he was a Sioux.

Under achiever -- Brad DeFauw

Over achiever -- Matt Henderson

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know Defauw was a solid recruit coming in because of his all-around athletic ability and although he didn't have a big college career point-wise, I wouldn't label him an underachiever.

I was at his first official practice as a member of the Sioux. At the start of the practice I had no idea who he was - except for a small number on the back of his helmet, there was no other way to identify the players - but I was shocked at how poorly he skated. He literally appeared to have difficulty simply standing on skates. I remember saying to myself that he, whomever he was, didn't stand a chance at making the club and would be an early cut.

I later learned that the awful skater was Defauw and watched as he skated a regular shift on two national championship teams and earned a stint with Carolina in the NHL. Those are three pretty big achievements for someone who looked terribly out of place and overmatched at the start of his college career.

With the passage of time, the underachievers fade from consciousness, so its hard to go back more than just a couple years ... I'd add Landon Wilson and Ryan Johnson to the [fairly short] list of guys who really disappointed in their Green and White days.

... while the overachievers live in our hearts forever as young as the day they last skated for the Sioux. A common thread of the national champion teams at UND has been role players that were chronic overachievers.

From that 1980 team, which was honored this weekend, Erwin Martens was a Farce favorite, hustling hard every shift, scoring the occasional goal, and playing the game hard but clean. Phil Sykes was more talented, but used every ounce of it to benefit the team.

Another characteristic of the overachiever is that their toils often go unrecognized. So I found it very poignant that on the night that Pierre Lamoreaux was honored as part of the 1980 Sioux (Pierre had the 'misfortune' of playing behind not 1 but 2 (!) future NHL goaltenders while at UND,(Darren Jensen and later Jon Casey)), his son stepped forward with a very, very good game, staking a claim to the #1 goaltending job.

With the passage of time, the underachievers fade from consciousness, so its hard to go back more than just a couple years ... I'd add Landon Wilson and Ryan Johnson to the [fairly short] list of guys who really disappointed in their Green and White days.

I would have to agree with these 2 as well as a few of the goaltenders we have had in the past few years.

Mike Burgraff?

The player that I thought did so much with not the greatest talent was Mike Burgraff. He didn't have the best skills but made up for it by going 100 miles an hour at all times, playing with tenacity, and always giving his best.

He was the nicest guy off the ice and on the ice he was a major pain in the butt for the other team.

Overachievers not mentioned: Phil Sykes and Craig Ludwig - both being walk-ons! Greg Johnson (in a sense and in addition to being a great player) for being a Hobey Baker runner-up on a 12-25-1 team that only scored 138 goals in 38 games.

Underachiever: Landon Wilson; Jason Herter (postgraduate underachiever) up until he played his ONE NHL game, he was the highest draft pick in the history of the league to not make it to the NHL.

Underachievers: Scott Foyt, Tyler Palmiscno. No offense to him, I thought he had some good plays, but not enough.

Overachievers: Panzers, Brandon Bochenski, definitely Karl Goehring.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you're being too recent. Palmo wasn't even on a full scholarship when recruited. For that matter, I don't think Foyt is/was either.

I'll maybe give you the Panzers on overachievers, but not Goehring. He may not have been heavily recruited by many schools, but was stellar in high school.

I think you're being too recent. Palmo wasn't even on a full scholarship when recruited. For that matter, I don't think Foyt is/was either.

I'll maybe give you the Panzers on overachievers, but not Goehring. He may not have been heavily recruited by many schools, but wa stellar in high school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Over-acheiver.......Scott Dub

Under-acheiver......Chris Jensen. He could have done so much more.

I totally agree with Scott Dub. I am guessing he is the only guy from Grafton/Park River who ever won any type of ring.

How about for under achievers - Malcom Parks - I beleive he was a first round selection who was very average. Or I hate to say this one because he is one of the nicest guys you willever meet but Steve Peters beat out Robb Stauber for Goalie of the year his senior year of high school and did virtually nothing for the SIOUX (accpet he does have a ring)

What ever happened to Lee Broder (sp?) from Grafton. I heard he was a really good high school player then only played a few games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He played a little over ten games one season in the mid-80's. I believe he scored a couple of points. I think he transferred after his first season, but I'm not sure what he did after that.

I just got done listening to the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies play the South Carolina Sting Rays and I got to hear Notermann and Spiewak again too bad they were playing against each other.

Goalies for the game were Daubensbeck from Wisconsin and Moreland from Grand Forks and SCSU..

Good Game for Atlantic City

Score 5-2..

Jason had to leave and get stiches as his visor broke across his upper lips causing some bodily fluids to leak on the ice. He got stiched up and returned to get a few good scoring chances in the third..

Sounded like Kevin was flying around as usual...

Wish I could have seen that one..

Let's Go SIOUX!!!!!

He played a little over ten games one season in the mid-80's. I believe he scored a couple of points. I think he transferred after his first season, but I'm not sure what he did after that.

He became a Bronco (by transferring to Western Michigan).

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=23319