SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring 2021 FCS Playoffs

The Sicatoka

Both

6 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

No.  Here are 2 big pass plays vs us.  Our present QB can't make those throws.  The first one is a bit under thrown.  

Both of those passes were to his first read and be never looked anywhere else.  Threw the first one into double coverage.  

am I doing this right?   SDSU QB is legit.  Kid is only a freshman as well.  He will only get better, just like our QBs.  He did only complete 50% of his passes that game and took some huge sacks that took points off the board.  Also threw 2 picks.  But he can throw it far.  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, homer said:

Both

Both of those passes were to his first read and be never looked anywhere else.  Threw the first one into double coverage.  

am I doing this right?   SDSU QB is legit.  Kid is only a freshman as well.  He will only get better, just like our QBs.  He did only complete 50% of his passes that game and took some huge sacks that took points off the board.  Also threw 2 picks.  But he can throw it far.  

Both those passes were designed to take the top off the defense.  You are correct, on that day we were better.

9 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Nope.  Tommy didn’t even attempt the first throw all season.  Safety over top, 50 yard throw.  Nope.

The first clip you posted the ball was 48 yards in the air the second clip was around 49.  Check the flea flicker to Belquist, Tommy's pass was 47 yards in the air.  I don't see the big difference.  

I do think their QB does have a little stronger arm though, and he is a better runner.....which does give him an edge.  SDSU got a really good one, they are in good hands for the next 4 years.  I have seen Tommy make some perfectly placed throws though into some small windows.  Tommy has to be the most Productive/Successful freshman QB since probably Klancher? 

• Upvote 1

On 5/9/2021 at 11:45 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

QB is an absolute stud.  IMO he is the difference.  Schmid running was difference for SHSU yesterday too.

I agree he has the tools to be a good one. But if Tommy would have thrown that first pass you would have complained about his "weak" arm because the ball was underthrown and the WR had to slow down quite a bit to catch it. In fact I believe you have made the exact same comments previously.

Schmid needs to rely on his legs a bit more because (for a senior) he's not all that impressive of a passer.
13/27 with 1 TD/2 INT's and he took 3 sacks vs. JMU.
For the playoffs (his last 3 games), he's 50/88 (57%) for 578 yards with 3 TD's and 2 picks taking 6 sacks for a loss of 19 yards. Rushing, he had 23 attemps for 130 yards.
For comparison, you've ripped on Tommy's for his last 3 games and his stats are 42/70 (60%) for 579 yards with 3 TD's and 2 picks taking 1 sack for a loss of 2 yards. He had 19 yards rushing on 3 attempts.

Schmid's rushing wasn't the difference for SHSU, the play by the WR to put the DB in the turnstile and then multiple special teams miscues by JMU was the difference. What an absolute meltdown.

If your whole point is that Tommy doesn't use his legs enough, that's a fair argument. I have a hard time buying into the rest of it.

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I agree he has the tools to be a good one. But if Tommy would have thrown that first pass you would have complained about his "weak" arm because the ball was underthrown and the WR had to slow down quite a bit to catch it. In fact I believe you have made the exact same comments previously.

Schmid needs to rely on his legs a bit more because (for a senior) he's not all that impressive of a passer.
13/27 with 1 TD/2 INT's and he took 3 sacks vs. JMU.
For the playoffs (his last 3 games), he's 50/88 (57%) for 578 yards with 3 TD's and 2 picks taking 6 sacks for a loss of 19 yards. Rushing, he had 23 attemps for 130 yards.
For comparison, you've ripped on Tommy's for his last 3 games and his stats are 42/70 (60%) for 579 yards with 3 TD's and 2 picks taking 1 sack for a loss of 2 yards. He had 19 yards rushing on 3 attempts.

Schmid's rushing wasn't the difference for SHSU, the play by the WR to put the DB in the turnstile and then multiple special teams miscues by JMU was the difference. What an absolute meltdown.

If your whole point is that Tommy doesn't use his legs enough, that's a fair argument. I have a hard time buying into the rest of it.

Tommy/Danny would never throw the first SDSU pass vs us with a safety helping over the top.  It's a decision likely made by Danny.  The pass I amde the comments on was Maag double move vs MSU, that was also only a 35 yard pass in the air, not 50 yards.

Neither team is in the finals without their QB, just ask NDSU about QB play. Take out Tommy first qtr vs MSU(6-6 for 144 yards, 2 TDS) and the last 3 games he is 36-64 for 435 yards with 1 td and 3 picks plus 4 carries for 18 yards.  IMO opposing defenses have figured out how to stop our O, especially when Otis has only 13 carries a game.

Tommy is a good QB who functions really well as a game manager.  I think a national championship is the goal, IMO a game manager won't cut it.  You think SDSU is in championship with Cam Miller, Zeb Noland or Tommy?  To me that a very real question.  

11 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tommy/Danny would never throw the first SDSU pass vs us with a safety helping over the top.  It's a decision likely made by Danny.  The pass I amde the comments on was Maag double move vs MSU, that was also only a 35 yard pass in the air, not 50 yards.

Neither team is in the finals without their QB, just ask NDSU about QB play. Take out Tommy first qtr vs MSU(6-6 for 144 yards, 2 TDS) and the last 3 games he is 36-64 for 435 yards with 1 td and 3 picks plus 4 carries for 18 yards.  IMO opposing defenses have figured out how to stop our O, especially when Otis has only 13 carries a game.

Tommy is a good QB who functions really well as a game manager.  I think a national championship is the goal, IMO a game manager won't cut it.  You think SDSU is in championship with Cam Miller, Zeb Noland or Tommy?  To me that a very real question.  

I get some of your points with Tommy but the “take away the first quarter” or “take away these certain throws” to make his stats look worse isn’t a great way to look at IMO

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

I get some of your points with Tommy but the “take away the first quarter” or “take away these certain throws” to make his stats look worse isn’t a great way to look at IMO

I understand and somewhat agree.  To me the biggest two stats from the last 3 games were we were 1-2 and had the ball for 23:23 vs NDSU, 30:55 vs MSU, and 21:38 vs JMU.  Some of that TOP problem is on the D vs NDSU and JMU, but even in a game in which the defense dominated, the offense struggled sustaining drives the last 3 qtrs vs MSU.