SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

Commentary by McKeen's Hockey Prospects:

01/09/2005 - (u17) Heady center from Shattuck St. Mary's is the gamebreaker for Team West .. wears the C .. very mobile as he can turn on a dime .. blessed with elite vision and hockey sense .. supports the puckcarrier well .. strong on his skates .. defensively aware .. makes an effortless transition from defense to offense and back again .. picked up his man effectively and nullified any scoring chance near the crease .. stickhandles in a phone booth .. uses his linemates and nails them with crisp, tape-to-tape passes .. will fearlessly drive to the net .. protected the puck so well on a breakaway that the defender was forced to drag him down and take a penalty .. closes the gaps and cuts down time on the puckcarrier .. has eyes in the back of his head as he regularly made no-look, behind the back passes right to a teammate .. very strong on the faceoff .. skates with poise .. picked up the rebound and knocked it home for a big goal .. knows how to find the holes .. picked the short side to give his team a late lead .. makes players around him better .. stickhandled through traffic and cut across the net, backhanding a shot past the goaltender for one of the prettiest goals of the tournament .. U-17 totals (6-8-4-12-2).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow 12 points in 6 games in an international competition...impressive. sounds like a great talent

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 12 points in 6 games in an international competition...impressive. sounds like a great talent

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article fails to mention that he was honored as the U-17 tournaments top player. Imagine if Jason Spezza, Bochenski's current AHL linemate and the leagues leading scorer, had elected to play for the Sioux instead of playing Major Junior Hockey and you have a fairly good idea of what caliber of player the Sioux are getting.

The second Ludwig bro. has committed to Western Michigan (the other bro is at Providence). Have no idea whether the kids were ever on the Sioux radar, but it's nice to see sons of former Sioux end up at UND.

A little good news. Trailing 5-4 in the waning moments of its USHL game with Indiana tonight, Sioux Falls pulled their goalie and added an extra attacker to the ice. The only assist on the tying goal, scored with 8 seconds left, was given to T.J. Oshie, his second assist of the game. (I think it's terrific that he was on the ice as they were trying to tie. Not bad for a Spring addition from high school.)

He proceeded to pot the OT game-winner, capping his three-point night. Congrats, T.J.

The second Ludwig bro. has committed to Western Michigan (the other bro is at Providence). Have no idea whether the kids were ever on the Sioux radar, but it's nice to see sons of former Sioux end up at UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to Craig they weren't. I was on the same flight as him this past fall and he had said they hadn't been recruited by UND. He said he would have been happy if they went there, but he also realized how things work.

Not a bad night for Sioux recruits in the USHL: Brian Lee had an assist as well as Vandevelde getting one. As mentioned before, Oshie had a 3 point night (I couldn't help but notice that he is playing on a line with Gorowsky). As far as possible recruits go, Mario Lamoureux had assists on two of three goals for Tri-City.

So does Toews do anything badly?  Where's the walked on water and then turned it into wine comment?  Or is that only reserved for Lord Parise? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unlike the new Goofer whiz kid he does not yet have mastery and control of the media :D .

Duncan remains on top of the BCHL playoff scoring although he was pointless in SA's win last night.

Kozek scored the game winner, unassisted in OT in Surrey's 2-1 win Would like to see a replay of that one.

Watkins was first star with 1-1-2 in Vernon's win.

I think I asked this question in a different thread and didn't get a response (or I missed the response):

With the injury to Bina, what does Hakstol do?

Does he ramp up the attempts to land Finley for next season? Does he go with Hardwick right away? Does he just sit pat and put faith in Bina for next season and go for Dowzak for 2006 if things don't work out?

What does he do?

I think I asked this question in a different thread and didn't get a response (or I missed the response):

Does he ramp up the attempts to land Finley for next season?  Does he go with Hardwick right away?  Does he just sit pat and put faith in Bina for next season and go for Dowzak for 2006 if things don't work out?

What does he do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Finley is a junior in HS and I don't know if he has accelerated his schooling. He more than likely would be an 06'.

Does he ramp up the attempts to land Finley for next season?  Does he go with Hardwick right away?  Does he just sit pat and put faith in Bina for next season and go for Dowzak for 2006 if things don't work out?

What does he do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice if Hak picked Hardwick up, he will be solid D1 defensemen. A year in the juniors would benefit him. As for this fall he might have to take a risk and bring a younger player like Hardwick in due to the severity of Bina's injury and amount of senior D graduating. Your guess is as good as mine. :sad:

Unless one of these youngsters is really ready, as jk pointed out to me, it might be better to get some seasoned, more experienced dman from the hinterlands. In Kessel's first year it sure would be nice to introduce him to this year's senior class of Dmen, instead of throwing next year's to the wolves. Jones will know him fairly well, so maybe that will help.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, man. With Smaby, Marvin and Foyt back and three freshmen coming in, is there really reason to be concerned about defense next year?! :lol::sad:

Seriously, from what I hear, there is a good chance Hardwick will wear the green and white, but will it be next year? How will the NHL lockout effect Greene? Will Bina play again? If so, will it be next year and, if so, can he be effective?

At this point, I say the fans should cheer UND on to #8 and then worry about next season - win or lose, it is only two and a-half weeks away, for all intents and purposes.

Come on, man. With Smaby, Marvin and Foyt back and three freshmen coming in, is there really reason to be concerned about defense next year?! :lol::sad:

Seriously, from what I hear, there is a good chance Hardwick will wear the green and white, but will it be next year? How will the NHL lockout effect Greene? Will Bina play again? If so, will it be next year and, if so, can he be effective?

At this point, I say the fans should cheer UND on to #8 and then worry about next season - win or lose, it is only two and a-half weeks away, for all intents and purposes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You forgot Radke who should do fine next year.

You forgot Radke who should do fine next year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My bad. I think Radke has a very nice future and I look forward to watching him throughout his career.

Either way, the point remains, if Greene doesn't return and Bina cannot play, as a whole UND is very thin, inexperienced and quite young at defense next season.

The article fails to mention that he was honored as the U-17 tournaments top player. Imagine if Jason Spezza, Bochenski's current AHL linemate and the leagues leading scorer, had elected to play for the Sioux instead of playing Major Junior Hockey and you have a fairly good idea of what caliber of player the Sioux are getting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have seen Toews play on several occasions - the first when he was a peewee at a tourney in Edmonton. Tremendous player. Maybe I can update after this weekend as the North Dakota Select 87/88 team is playing the Shattuck Prep Team on Saturday night at Shattuck (Towes, Genoway, Chorney, Okposo, Dowzak etc etc).