SiouxSports.com Forum

protective netting

schmidtdoggydog

I heard recently that REA has put protective netting up on the rink ends and was told it would remain in place for the upcoming Sioux hockey season.

I was hoping someone with some ties to the arena could provide some insight and confirm the veracity of the rumor. If it is up, will it stay up throughout the 04-05 season?

The netting is up and will be up for all games. I was told that the netting would be white, but it is black. Many NHL teams started with the black, but switched to the white after a majority of the fans complained. The white netting blends in with the white ice and does not create as much contrast as the black netting. Somebody did not do there homework!

The netting is up and will be up for all games. I was told that the netting would be white, but it is black. Many NHL teams started with the black, but switched to the white after a majority of the fans complained. The white netting blends in with the white ice and does not create as much contrast as the black netting. Somebody did not do there homework!

I've been in arenas with both, I much preferred the black. The white reflects much more light and is quite distracting. The black absorbs the light and after a while, your barely notice it. It almost disappears.

I cannot believe they are putting up netting for next year's season. I HATE the netting. I have sat behind it at a few Wild games and it absolutely sucks. Why are we the only arena in the wcha that is going to have the netting. There are risks associated with flying pucks, you know that when you attend the game, there is no reason for netting. WPOS is absolutely right this whole thing was a knee jerk reaction by the NHL to one unfortunate incident.

I cannot believe they are putting up netting for next year's season. I HATE the netting. I have sat behind it at a few Wild games and it absolutely sucks. Why are we the only arena in the wcha that is going to have the netting. There are risks associated with flying pucks, you know that when you attend the game, there is no reason for netting. WPOS is absolutely right this whole thing was a knee jerk reaction by the NHL to one unfortunate incident.

I agree completely. I sit directly behind the net that UND defends twice and will now have to watch entire games through the netting. Despite the location of my seats I take my very young children to games and have no concerns about flying pucks. Then again, I am there to watch hockey. For me, having to watch great hockey through mesh will certainly take a lot of the enjoyment out of the game(s).

DB said that they built the arena with extra tall glass behind the nets to combat the number of pucks that leave play. He also said as long as he was the coach there, protective netting would not be an issue.

I am guessing this is one of the many issues he and REA management were rumored to be at odds over.

If they were smart ... :) ... rather than the traditional netting hung straight down from the rafters they'd run the netting from the top of the glass to the bottom of the electronic ring.

The upper deck folks would have a minimal sight-line impact and yet the lower bowl and suites would be protected.

You think the lawyers are causing pain now? I can't wait for the first case of indoor fireworks to start one of those nets on fire. ;)

If they were smart ... :) ... rather than the traditional netting hung straight down from the rafters they'd run the netting from the top of the glass to the bottom of the electronic ring.

The upper deck folks would have a minimal sight-line impact and yet the lower bowl and suites would be protected.

You think the lawyers are causing pain now? I can't wait for the first case of indoor fireworks to start one of those nets on fire. ;)

I think that trying to look through the netting laid more flat like that will only further block the view of the fans in the upper lower deck.

I DO think that if they raised the glass another 5 feet or so (somehow) that the only pucks that would clear it are those shot so far away as to limit flesh damage, or they would have to be lofted, and not line drives, which cause little damage.

Being a low-level FSC member, my opinion doesn't mean diddly to the REA folks, but I am really interested in hearing what the "big dogs" that pay $25,000 per year, give or take, for their suites on the ends have to say once they find out they will be watching games through netting.

It promises to be an interesting battle . . . . .

The thing is, the only people getting hurt are the old farts who go there to chat with their friends rather than pay attention to the games, and the young kids that don't know any better. To those old farts, pay attention to the game, especially pre game warmups.

As far as the young kids go, parents pay attention. Enjoy the game but be ready to cover your kid at a moments's notice. My son is now 9 and i have been taking him to games since 1997. We have had season tickets just above the glass behind the goalie every single year. Have there been close calls, yes, but I have never seen anyone that was paying attention get hurt.

I sit center ice above the glass at our local hockey arena so I have no complaint here. Still, I think this is going to be the norm everywhere soon. I can't also help but think of what the future will bring. Netting all the way around? 20-30 foot protective glass?

I wonder what the "railbirds" thought when they first installed glass around the rink? Probably the same arguments back then as now.

• 2 months later...

I just got a letter in the mail about the netting being put up in The Ralph. Since the netting shouldn't affect me too much where I sit, I'm assuming these letters are being sent to everyone that might even be slightly affected. The letter seemed to be comparing the netting system to the one that was installed in the Xcel Center. The letter also gave increasing insurance costs as a reason for REA being proactive and putting up the netting despite neither the NCAA or WCHA requiring it. If the insurance cost is the real reason, I wouldn't be too surprised if the netting is put in most of the college rinks.

Having been at the WCOH games these past two weeks at Xcel Energy Center, I can tell you that protective netting is at MUST-HAVE. The game has become so devoted to the "casual" fan who is there in the building to yap on his cell phone, drink as much beer as possible, and yell "you suck" to the opposing goalie while chuckling w/his buddies about how witty he is, that the true fan is hardly noticed now. Then idiots like this get plunked on the head with a flying puck and BAM! It's Who wants to be a millionaire? Teams have to protect themselves, it's that simple.

Some of you guys are unbelievable. Nevermind this change came as the result of the death of a child. And nevermind someone was classy enough to imply she'd still be alive if she'd have "paid attention."

I find it fascinating that the majority of the people complaining about the protective netting are the same ones who have never watched a game through it. At the same time, the majority of those defending it have actually seen a game through it.

How about you wait and see how it affects your "viewing experience" before you bitch and moan about it. But then, I forgot, this site is the complaint department, isn't it?

I myself have seen countless games through protective netting. Does it take a brief period of adjustment? Yes. For maybe a period. Do you notice it after that? No.

Let me pose a question to those of you whose lives are about to being turned upside down by a hanging freaking net:

When was the last time you heard a baseball fan say, "You mean I can have your tickets right behind home plate? Hell yeah! Oh s&!t, no. There's that damn net hanging there and I can't see a thing. Nevermind."

Wow...did the poster who said she'd still be alive if she'd paid attention know where she was sitting? If memory serves me right, the puck deflected off of someone's stick and shot into the upper deck. I'm not usually one to use the term "insensitive," but that's ridiculous. Had the doctor actually discovered what had truly happened when that poor girl snapped her neck back as the puck hit her, she also might be alive today. What if's don't fix anything, though. The tragedy happened and it would be a shame if it ever happened again.

That being said, I don't ever hear anyone whining that they can't see the game because the plexi-glass is just too high. The net is here to stay, folks, get used to it.

Some of you guys are unbelievable. Nevermind this change came as the result of the death of a child. And nevermind someone was classy enough to imply she'd still be alive if she'd have "paid attention."

I find it fascinating that the majority of the people complaining about the protective netting are the same ones who have never watched a game through it. At the same time, the majority of those defending it have actually seen a game through it.

How about you wait and see how it affects your "viewing experience" before you bitch and moan about it. But then, I forgot, this site is the complaint department, isn't it?

I myself have seen countless games through protective netting. Does it take a brief period of adjustment? Yes. For maybe a period. Do you notice it after that? No.

Let me pose a question to those of you whose lives are about to being turned upside down by a hanging freaking net:

When was the last time you heard a baseball fan say, "You mean I can have your tickets right behind home plate? Hell yeah! Oh s&!t, no. There's that damn net hanging there and I can't see a thing. Nevermind."

I have watched many games through the netting at the Final Five,

Frozen Four, WJ eval camp and at NHL games. Although I understand the reasoning behind the netting, I don't like enjoy watching the game through it. Some people don't mind, but I do!

Some of it depends where you sit. In Buffalo in 2003 I sat two rows from the top of the arena and didn't notice the netting at all even though I had to watch entire games through it. At the X I have sat 10-15 rows up on the end and did not have an easy time adjusting to it. Certainly, the farther away from the netting, the better.

My seats at the REA are ten rows up directly behind the net on the north side. Because I am only ten rows up the netting appears to be right in front of my face making it much more difficult to see through.

Although the nets are here to stay, I don't see the problem with voicing displeasure. For three years I had a clean, unobstructed view of the entire ice - now I, and many others, have to watch entire games through netting, which from my seat, is an obstructed view of the entire ice and the score board.

That is a considerable change to my viewing pleasure. Do I agree with netting, no, I don't! Will I stop attending Sioux games, absolutely not. Will I continue to voice my displeasure, probably. Will I make attempts to move seats in the future, without question.