SiouxSports.com Forum

Omaha Recommendations

InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Thought maybe with all the negativity I could provide a little distraction with this thread. Planning to go down to Omaha for the series(yes I am a glutton for punishment). I haven't been since they played at the Clink. Wondering if people can provide some recommendations with the new digs:

- Good hotel/area to stay, next to Baxter or no? Would like to be near bars nightlife, other Sioux fans.

- Restaurants to visit before after the game

- Any activity people recommend Saturday morning/early afternoon before the game?

- Best part of the rink to sit for the games?

Appreciate all recommendations(unless it's to stay home :lol:). Here's to hoping we'll be riding a winning streak going into Baxter!

• Upvote 2

Well, you're not the only glutton. :)    A buddy and I will be making the trip to Omaha for the first time.  Got a room at Aksarben Suites (about a mile from the rink).  Tickets are in 118, which should be the attacking end for first and third.  Probably should have asked for recommendations as well, oh well.   Thought I saw somewhere that the Alumni Association was having a pre-game party on Saturday, but I don't remember the details.

• Upvote 1

We usually stay at the Hyatt downtown. Shuttle to Arena and Breakfast in AM. Within walking distances of bars and eating downtown. Two microbrewerys less than a block away. Parking Ramp. Liquor Store/Convienence Store(Cubby's) across street. Management is really nice.

Infusion Brewery is really good. So good that we bought a growler so every time we go to Omaha for a hockey series, we be sure to fill it up to take back home with us. They make a great Vanilla Bean Blonde. I’m no beer snob, I typically drink Extra Gold, Coors Light, etc. but I love this particular craft beer. And their Benson location isn’t too far from Baxter Arena.

http://infusionbrewing.com/?age-verified=a0e38907e1

• Upvote 1

Omaha is still our group's favorite trip. Although that was a number of years ago before the new arena. Still would love to see the new arena someday. I can't speak to hotels because my aunt, who lives down there, let us crash at her house.

If you end up in downtown/Old Market/whatever they call it, we had a blast at Dubliner Pub and Billy Frogg's. Don't remember a ton besides that:bigsmile::lol::crazy: but there are a ton of bars and restaurants in that area.

• Upvote 1

I am a ND transplant here in Omaha, and will be at the game on Sat decked out in green. Baxter is on S 72nd st + Center St. Around that area you have several hotels about 1/2 miles south Ramada, Comfort Inn, Americas Best Value. There are several other areas west of there that also have hotels, for the most part, they are all fairly decent places. As far as location to stay, there are really no "bad" (crime) areas near the arena. The part of town most considered to be a bad area is in the northeastern part of town near 60th and Ames and east.

A lot of ND people tend to hit up DJ's Dugout in the Aksarben Village area directly across the street. (This is the area you park before the game and walk across the street to the game.) It is also the easiest, since you don't have to rush in traffic after eating somewhere else to make it to the game.

When it comes to the nightlife, there are about 5 bars in that area, (as well as a really nice place called Spirit World) About 2 miles south in the Ralston area is a country bar named Bushwackers, (It tends to be a busy place on Friday and Saturday nights) The best thing I will suggest, is that others that have traveled down here for games in the past merino places they have been in the past and possibly set up a Sioux Meetup there.

When it comes to the rink, well, ill be honest. its a decent rink, but for the money they spent, (being from GF, myself, I mean, I have seen the best.) I do know they don't like grouping ND people together. (The majority of the fans here think since they had Dean as a coach, they they are are rival.) I will say that in the past when I go to the ND game here (the only time I go to hockey here in Omaha.) I did see a few areas that they grouped ND people together. I think its just like going to Denver, CC, or Minnesota for a game, each one offers a unique experience.

As far as things to do Saturday, we have the Zoo, (All the indoor exhibits are open during the winter. it is located off I-80 in the south part of town, about 5 miles from the arena. You have the Old market, located at about 10th and Dodge. (This is the area where the games use to be played.) Very big area for visitors to go. You also have Boys Town, (the one from the movie from the late 30's) the drive thru it as well as checking out the hall of history takes about and hour or so. I actually live close to Boys Town, (So would be willing to meet with some people at the hall of history if they wanted, to give them a tour.) But would have to be done by about 2 so I can get the 7 year old ready for his first Hockey game. (Yes, I have taught him right, he bleeds green and yells Sioux Ya Ya!)

Cant wait to see my fellow ND fans here in a week. Safe travels to all that are headed this way.

• Upvote 3

Just a follow-up to my post earlier, I did some looking up and found some phone numbers of the local breweries and distilleries and a winery all with in very close proximity of most hotels here in Omaha.

Infusion brewery 402-934-2064 and 402-916-9998

Brickway402-933-2613

Zip line 531-444-5600

Lucky bucket 402-763-8868

Soaring wings winery and distillery 402-253-2479

Patriarch distillery 402-690-3490

Nebraska brewing company 402- 934-7988

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Zypher said:

Just a follow-up to my post earlier, I did some looking up and found some phone numbers of the local breweries and distilleries and a winery all with in very close proximity of most hotels here in Omaha.

Infusion brewery 402-934-2064 and 402-916-9998

Brickway402-933-2613

Zip line 531-444-5600

Lucky bucket 402-763-8868

Soaring wings winery and distillery 402-253-2479

Patriarch distillery 402-690-3490

Nebraska brewing company 402- 934-7988

Upstream Brewery in the Old Market is excellent.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Thought maybe with all the negativity I could provide a little distraction with this thread. Planning to go down to Omaha for the series(yes I am a glutton for punishment). I haven't been since they played at the Clink. Wondering if people can provide some recommendations with the new digs:

- Good hotel/area to stay, next to Baxter or no? Would like to be near bars nightlife, other Sioux fans.

- Restaurants to visit before after the game

- Any activity people recommend Saturday morning/early afternoon before the game?

- Best part of the rink to sit for the games?

Appreciate all recommendations(unless it's to stay home :lol:). Here's to hoping we'll be riding a winning streak going into Baxter!

Look up the old school Italian restaurants around downtown.