SiouxSports.com Forum

New Coach

sprig

Who wil coach the Sioux this fall?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who wil coach the Sioux this fall?

• Sandelin
    • Hakstol
    • Berry
    • Johnson (Steve)
    • Eades
    • Other

Doubt Sandy will leave UMD.  This program was basically taken out of the gutter by coach Sandelin.  I don't think he would leave without enjoying the full fruits of his success here.

I think its funny how all of these UMD fans are saying oh no Scott isn't going anywhere. I am hear to tell you that Sandlin will be the first one that UND probably calls for the job. If I was Roger I would. Wether he goes or not is another thing. I would bet UND has a 5/10 chance of landing him. Just because someones sits in a bar and talks with the coach and supposively says I am not moving back to Grand Forks doesn't mean he isn't going. In the same light when your in a high profile program you don't tell eveyone your looking, it loses favor with your current employer. You make them come to you. I would be worried if I lived in Duluth right now.

Hakstol is Blais' pick.

It was no surprise that, on Saturday, he (Blais) endorsed associate head coach Dave Hakstol as his choice to replace him over possibly former Sioux assistant Scott Sandelin, now at Minnesota Duluth and a close friend of his.

That's a heck of an article by Foss.

Scott, my impressions on the coaching vacancy are similar to yours, but having Blais go to bat that hard for Hakstol helps make me feel more comfortable with that choice. Blais wouldn't have to lobby for Hakstol if he didn't think he was a good choice.

Hakstol is Blais' pick.

It was no surprise that, on Saturday, he (Blais) endorsed associate head coach Dave Hakstol as his choice to replace him over possibly former Sioux assistant Scott Sandelin, now at Minnesota Duluth and a close friend of his.

I think Hakstol could do a good job, but I am hoping UND makes a good pitch to get Sandy. I think there is a correlation between Scott leaving UND and no NCAA titles since then. UND is close again and hiring Sandelin could push us over the top to witnessing another title in Grand Forks.

One thing that may weigh against Haks in the "politics" of the process is that he's married to Tim O'Keefe's daughter. O'Keefe is the alumni honcho, and given Kupchella's often-stormy relationship with the alums, he may opt for somebody "less connected".

I agree with Goon to an extent. Sandelin is an excellent recruiter, and I think he has a strong relationship with his guys and gets them to give 100% almost every game. *That* is what experience in running your own program can do.

Just a few random thoughts:

I see no way that Eades comes in as an assistant. He does not have an assistant mentality and would want to run the show IMO. Nothing wrong with that attitude as head coach, but as assistant (especially as an asst to a head coach who is younger than you) it just wouldn't work.

Officially Kupchella has to sign off on this, but I suspect he takes RT's opinion as gospel and will do what RT suggests.

I don't know that being O'Keefe's in-law is a plus or a minus. I'd think the program and this job is bigger than familial relationships.

I'd like to see Sandelin get it.

shep

Hakstol may or may not be the right guy for the job - I'm not in a position to know. However, "we might miss 60 crucial days of recruiting" is the wrong reason to hire him. The supposed benefit of such a move, landing recruits that you might otherwise miss, is uncertain. The cost if you make the wrong choice is years of substandard coaching.

In his favor, Hakstol was a captain seemingly everywhere he played, so he must have natural leadership ability. Also, if he has played a major role in the stellar recruiting we've seen in the last few years, then that should be a big factor in the decision-making process. If UND scans the list of possible candidates and concludes that Hakstol will be the best head coach, then hire him right away. Otherwise let the process run out for a month or two and decide who is best.

One thing that may weigh against Haks in the "politics" of the process is that he's married to Tim O'Keefe's daughter.  O'Keefe is the alumni honcho, and given Kupchella's often-stormy relationship with the alums, he may opt for somebody "less connected".

I agree with Goon to an extent.  Sandelin is an excellent recruiter, and I think he has a strong relationship with his guys and gets them to give 100% almost every game.  *That* is what experience in running your own program can do.

Thats why I think Sandelin is going to be on the short list. I would like to be a fly on the wall when this discussion comes up. Honestly I don't care what Bruce Ciske and crew (the UMD rubes) say about Sandelin staying at UMD and not wanting to go to UND. Please, UND is a major step up from Duluth as far as prestige and history go. They are kidding their selves if they think Scott isn't thinking about coaching at UND. I remember when UofM came calling Blais. I would be willing to Bet Blaiser thought about it.

The job is Sandy's, if he wants it. He doesn't want it though. Sandy was on the short list of people DB informed of his decision immediately after making it. Sandy wasn't interested in the job, so DB endorsed Hak. Sandy ain't committing one way or the other because he wants to interview for it and get a nice raise from UMD. If UMD steps up, he'll stay. If they step in it and piss him off, he may go.

The above is not in any way based on any inside knowledge (because I don't have any - inside or otherwise :) ), but is my read on the situation. DB's endorsement of Hak does make me a lot more comfortable with Hak as an option, but his head-coaching record still worries me. DB has a visceral hatred of losing. So does Sandy. I'm not sure that Hak does.

I agree w/ jk that the job needs to be filled with the best choice for the long term benefit of UND, not what's best for the next 2 months.

I don't know why Sandy wouldn't want the job, but it doesn't seem to add up otherwise. I put Sandy's chances of ending up as the next head coach of your University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux at no better than 10%, and that high only because we might get some help from UMD in order to have it happen. I'm pretty sure UMD's gonna lock Sandy up but tight.

I agree that Duluth fans are in denial if they don't think it is a very high possibilty that Sandelin will coach UND next season for many reasons. Aside from the obvious (UND being his Alma Mater and former coaching position) UND would more than likely offer him not only a more premier hockey program, but a heftier contract and one of the top facilities in the world. I would be suprised if Sandelin didn't want the job.

Look what Roy Williams did at Kansas last year.

I don't know why Sandy wouldn't want the job, but it doesn't seem to add up otherwise.

I have no inside information, either, but I do know one thing from watching the first round of the NHL draft on Saturday. Blais and UND's hockey program were mentioned several times by the ESPN sportscasters during the course of the show. If UMD was mentioned at all, I don't remember hearing it.

If you're a college coach and your goal is to coach in the NHL, which program provides the best opportunity to make the leap?

I have no inside information, either, but I do know one thing from watching the first round of the NHL draft on Saturday. Blais and UND's hockey program were mentioned several times by the ESPN sportscasters during the course of the show. If UMD was mentioned at all, I don't remember hearing it.

If you're a college coach and your goal is to coach in the NHL, which program provides the best opportunity to make the leap?

PCM, I agee with you. I don't have any idea why he wouldn't want it, but I can't think of anything else that squares with what I know (which is admittedly very little) about the situation.

Blais and UND's hockey program were mentioned several times by the ESPN sportscasters during the course of the show. If UMD was mentioned at all, I don't remember hearing it.

Give Sandy a couple more years at UMD, and he'll have them mentioned at the draft.

Winning the Spencer Penrose, along with USCHO.com, and INCH COY HOnors has to turn heads in the NHL ranks.

Doubling a teams point totals every year at the helm, and taking a team just three years removed from a 7 win season to the Frozen Four, has to count for something.

All that should matter is WHAT you do...not WHERE you do it.

Look what Roy Williams did at Kansas last year.

This is a great analogy but you used it wrong.

Roy passed up the North Carolina job after Dean Smith retired saying he just wasn't ready to leave Kansas yet. A few years later, when the same opportunity arose he made the difficult decision to go back to his alma mater.

I see the same thing happening here. Scott will coach the Sioux one day, it just won't be next season.