SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. St. Cloud - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

57 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Yes it is for international kids, considerably.  Which is why most questioned the women's philosophy considering their finances.

WHY?      I want to make sure we are on the same page, the cost to UND is not the tuition they charge,  is it not the same  for any student? (obviously aviation and such would not be).  But what makes it more expensive, are we paying travel from Norway and Finland?  does the professor charge more, are the books more expensive, do they require special dietary needs, do they require translators?

21 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

WHY?      I want to make sure we are on the same page, the cost to UND is not the tuition they charge,  is it not the same  for any student? (obviously aviation and such would not be).  But what makes it more expensive, are we paying travel from Norway and Finland?  does the professor charge more, are the books more expensive, do they require special dietary needs, do they require translators?

I think he may have misinterpreted your question. There are actual costs for the visa along with some pretty extensive paperwork and additional required monitoring of the student, but i doubt they add up to more than a couple grand.  There could also be increased recruiting expenses associated with foreign players (though in the case of JJ and Hoff, i believe all recruiting was done while they were stateside in the USHL).

With that said, local players are typically better for local (and state) support, as long as there isn't a talent drop-off.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

The cost of tuition is not the same for all kids.  The "scholarship" is not a set amount.  A kid from California or Arizona on full ride costs more than a kid from North Dakota.  Reciprocity.

A scholarship kid from Europe costs way, way more than a kid from ND.  My best guess is around 10k more per year.  Maybe a bit less, IDK.

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

The cost of tuition is not the same for all kids.  The "scholarship" is not a set amount.  A kid from California on full ride costs more than a kid from North Dakota.  Reciprocity.

A scholarship kid from Europe costs way, way more than a kid from ND.  My best guess is around 10k more per year.  Maybe a bit less, IDK.

He's asking actual cost of educating the student to UND. Not the cost charged to the athletic department for his/her scholarship. 

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

UND decided to spend 2x as much on the same scholarship for a couple kids from Europe, who do no more than the two from Red River.  Plus, all the Canadians.  

What I wrote here was interpreted wrong, obviously.   Key word: scholarship.  UND = hockey program.  

My understanding JJ and Hoff both came from the USHL, would not their visas (go ahead and hit that Mafia Man, it is a no grammer day) and paperwork been smaller.   Did the staff take trips to foreign countries, well except canada?   Seems like someone has a beef with foreign players, I am all for ND products, but I like winning too..    

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Who gives a sh*t how much it costs UND?  Of course that is the same.  

So if I teach a class on sarcasm to you and 5 other board members, and charge you each according to miles from my home, is my cost greater for each student?  If all student are from Minnesota, my revenue will be greater than if they are from Bismarck, but my cost for pencils, paper, treats, and diplomas will be the same.

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

My understanding JJ and Hoff both came from the USHL, would not their visas (go ahead and hit that Mafia Man, it is a no grammer day) and paperwork been smaller.   Did the staff take trips to foreign countries, well except canada?   Seems like someone has a beef with foreign players, I am all for ND products, but I like winning too..    

I believe the student j1 visa and associated paperwork would be different from whatever gets them here for the USHL.

thought we played well last night and this weekend as a whole loved the intensity from our guys need to get 2 wins against UNO is a must find a way boys to get to st.paul i beleive if this team plays like this how they played this weekend they will get the bounces to go there way play how u did this weekend boys with that same intensity and we will make a run

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Seems like someone has a beef with foreign players, I am all for ND products, but I like winning too..    

I don't think anyone would have a problem if those foreign players were supreme talents. JJ and Hoff are fine players and I'm happy to have them, but it seems we passed on some local guys who are likely just as good.... That or we're having some significant player development issues at the forward position. 

21 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I would love to have a rematch with St Cloud a week from Friday, in St Paul.   

The playoffs are a great chance for these guys to forget the season full of frustrations.     

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that we win 2 games at the Frozen Faceoff.  First things first however is to take care of business this weekend with Omaha.  If we do what we are capable of, the pairwise will take care of itself.  Just WIN BABY WIN!!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't think anyone would have a problem if those foreign players were supreme talents. JJ and Hoff are fine players and I'm happy to have them, but it seems we passed on some local guys who are likely just as good.... That or we're having some significant player development issues at the forward position. 

this is my main concern, other teams seem to have success with less...    I think this is a natty hangover, the team leaders ala seniors are admiring their rings and just plain not hungry enough...   Now that said, I do believe they are trying, and putting good effort, but that little drive to go harder is just missing..   Yeah blue chippers would help, but some natties go to teams without first rounders...   Like most things in life, there is no simple solution, or easy answer,  for our part, I am just going to keep cheering, at least I am not a gopher fan...

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

But if you go by stats when looking at them in the junior leagues, like everyone seems to do, Hoff had better stats then Benson.   Of course if they would have taken Benson and he didn’t pan out everyone would be questioning them like they are for many current recruits that aren’t putting up points.  I don’t know many programs that would have offered Benson his Junior year in high school like St. Cloud did.  You win some of those, and you lose some.