SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD vs. Denver

DMT

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When's the last time a team who failed to make the WCHA final five made it to the NCAA championship game?

When's the last time that happened in any conference?

It could happen twice this year if BC wins tonight.

no goal

game over

When's the last time a team who failed to make the WCHA final five made it to the NCAA championship game?

When's the last time that happened in any conference?

Boston college didnt make their conference final four.

A.B.T.G.,

I'm going to quote my Italian grandfather here when I tell you to "shut your canole hole!" and quit crying!  UND lost a one-game playoff.  It's as simple as that.  Regular season, WCHA Final Five, blah blah blah.  None of that matters in a one-game series.  I believe Herb Brooks said it best when he told the 1980 USA kids that the Soviets might beat them 9 times out of 10...but you just never know about that 10th game. 

My hats off to Denver regardless of what happens today.  My issue isn't with why or how they beat North Dakota, it's how UND suddenly has developed the choker reputation.

Since 1997, UND is 2-4 in WCHA playoff championship games. 

1998 NCAA playoffs:  0-1

1999 NCAA playoffs:  0-1

2003 NCAA playoffs:  0-1

2004 NCAA playoffs:  1-1

And maybe it's just me, but this year's loss to DU was eerily similar to the 1999 BC game.  You could see the panic on the players' and Dean's face from the middle of the first period on to the end.  I think Dean is more comfortable with the "unexpected" teams (like 1997 or 2000) than he is with coaching teams with expectations of nothing less than the national title. 

That's all I have for now.

Didn't know that venting was not allowed on this board....when did you take over ownership?

I realize the WCHA is a strong league top to bottom, simply a disappointing end to a Sioux season.

From my Swedish Grandmother....peace out!

I don't get this?:sad: I was at the last game Denver lost and that was to Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA. I was in Denver for Spring Break and thought why not check out some WCHA action even though the Sioux were not playing. I was hoping for a good game but instead I got to watch the Tigers skate circles around Denver. I think CC beat Denver by 5 goals and completed the sweep in the first round. I was embarrassed for the Denver Players and their Fans. That Hockey Team was horrible. Two Weeks later they completed the shocker of all times by beating our Mighty Fighting Sioux. I thought it was just complete Luck that they got us on our worst night because I thought the score would of been 10-1 Sioux. Then they go and beat UMD in the SemiFinal of the Frozen Four!!! Is this a dream I am having? Seriously, Is Denver just this Lucky or are they actually good?:0

I sure am confused!!!! ???

I'm happy for Denver and sad for Sandelin and the Dogs. I'll certainly be pulling for the Pioneers on Saturday.

For me, the bad omen for Duluth was in the 2nd on that 2-0 breakaway, up 3-1, the other Duluth player (who was it?) simply gave the puck to Lessard as if to say "get your hattrick" without even giving Berkhoel a glance (it looked to me that he was playing Lessard all the way). It wasn't so much that they didn't score, the whole play just seemed to develop as if Duluth thought the game was in hand so why not give Lessard a chance for his 3rd.

I don't get this?:sad:  I was at the last game Denver lost and that was to Colorado College in the first round of the WCHA.  I was in Denver for Spring Break and thought why not check out some WCHA action even though the Sioux were not playing.  I was hoping for a good game but instead I got to watch the Tigers skate circles around Denver.  I think CC beat Denver by 5 goals and completed the sweep in the first round.  I was embarrassed for the Denver Players and their Fans.  That Hockey Team was horrible.  Two Weeks later they completed the shocker of all times by beating our Mighty Fighting Sioux.  I thought it was just complete Luck that they got us on our worst night because I thought the score would of been 10-1 Sioux.  Then they go and beat UMD in the SemiFinal of the Frozen Four!!!  Is this a dream I am having?  Seriously, Is Denver just this Lucky or are they actually good?:0

I sure am confused!!!!  ???

I don't know much about Denver but my feeling is that Gwozdecky must be a great motivator or they're getting some quality leadership from seniors and/or captains. They're really coming together as a team, there aren't stat-heavy standout players and the pressure/responsibility load is being spread out evenly. Hard work + quality coaching + some puck luck + lack of pressure (underdogs) = the Pioneers' game right now. Props to DU, congratulations to UMD on a great season... go WCHA.

Denver had some injuries to their Defensemen early in the year.

Duluth got the lead and sat back on it, Denver came out hard and outplayed them the last half of the game. Caldwell basically took the game over himself. I've never seen a college defenseman move the puck like he did today. Denver does not have the depth, but they have 4 very solid defensemen, two of which are very good two way players.

Has a team that finished 5th (or 4th don't remember who had the tie-breaker) in the league ever made it to the NCAA championship game before? Goes to show how strong the WCHA was this year.

If Maine wins I'll root for Denver, but really don't care that much. If BC wins, I'm joining the Pioneer wagon train and hoping for a huge Denver win.