SiouxSports.com Forum

UMD vs. Denver

DMT

Bummed; MDU just wasn't the same team I saw vs the Sioux and the Gophers this year, after getting the 2-0 lead.

Denver created the better chances through the second and third, and it was the Dogs turning over the puck and giving Denver odd man chances that decided the game, rather than the reverse (which I thought it would be).

I'm not convinced Denver is the WCHA team to take out Hockey East in the finals, but it's all we have left :sad:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe someone said this earlier and I'm in favor of it. Let's DUMP the playoff tournament and schedule an entire league schedule instead of what we have now. All the HE tournament and WCHA tournament did was make money for the conferences. Granted, it was nice to see Alaska-Anchorage and their little run, but while UND, Minnesota, UMD, Maine, UMass, etc. are duking it out in the conference playoffs to see if they get a #3 or #1 seed (does it matter?), BC and DU were at home licking their wounds and healing up.

And how sick is it that according to the Pairwise rankings, UMD would have been better off LOSING their first round playoff series to Mankato as they would have retained a #1 seed. Playing Minnesota was a lose-lose situation for the Bulldogs. Win, and they keep that #1 seed. Lose, and Minnesota jumps over them in the Pairwise. The Pairwise rankings is the BCS of college hockey and everyone loves it. Someone please tell me WHY!

For me, the bad omen for Duluth was in the 2nd on that 2-0 breakaway, up 3-1, the other Duluth player (who was it?) simply gave the puck to Lessard as if to say "get your hattrick" without even giving Berkhoel a glance (it looked to me that he was playing Lessard all the way).  It wasn't so much that they didn't score, the whole play just seemed to develop as if Duluth thought the game was in hand so why not give Lessard a chance for his 3rd.

Believe it was Schwabe, and the two did not spread out, and force Berkhoel to go post to post. In spite of that, Berkhoel overplayed Lessard's short side, anticipating a wrist shot, and had Lessard deked and backhanded to the far side, he had Berkhoel beat easily, as Berkhoel was way out of position sliding in the wrong direction. A guess by Berkhoel turned out to be the right choice, and the rest of the game is history. Bummed for Scotty, he deserved a NC this year as well as his team played up to this loss.

First Dog loss of the season when leading after two. Picked a bad game to end that streak.

First Dog loss of the season when leading after two. Picked a bad game to end that streak.

I knew the UMD radio guy should have kept his mouth shut about the 25-0-1 record when leading going into the third. I just UMD could have had that effort against the Gophs, instead of the dominant one they displayed in GR.

I didn't know Schwabe was Jim Archibald's nephew. After he got a penalty the announcer mentioned how he has a long way to go to catch his uncle.

I'm probably going to get the "old news is so exciting" picture for this.

I didn't know Schwabe was Jim Archibald's nephew.  After he got a penalty the announcer mentioned how he has a long way to go to catch his uncle. 

I'm probably going to get the "old news is so exciting" picture for this.

positive7.jpg

sadly tUMD did not win, but go Denver now! Keep it in the best league in the nation!

Single game elimination games can do odd things at odd times...odd bounce/great save/penalty/etc. can win or lose you the game....

WPoS

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:0:(??????:sad:

I know how disappointed you must be, UMDDogz, but Bulldogs had a great run. Denver's a much better team than anyone knew and I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all.

GO DU!!! We have been in a draught for a while so WE ARE PUMPED UP.

It's been hell for me the last decade: being married to a UND grad, being introduced to my wife by a UND grad, my daughter's best friend with her parents both graduating from UND, etc., etc., etc.

Nice site and I hate to be here posting & gloating but I have to celebrate.

GO PIONEERS

DU*Pioneer,

Glad to see your education at Denver University paying off. Those of us who took Spelling 101 know the word is "drought," not "draught."

Can't spell "edukashen" without DU!

MafiaMan

p.s. Tongue-in-cheek humor if you haven't caught on. Congrats on a great season and beat Maine! :sad:

DU*Pioneer,

Glad to see your education at Denver University paying off. Those of us who took Spelling 101 know the word is "drought," not "draught."

Can't spell "edukashen" without DU!

MafiaMan

p.s. Tongue-in-cheek humor if you haven't caught on. Congrats on a great season and beat Maine! :sad:

Isn't Draught a type or style of serving beer? :0 If so, that can't all be bad!

And as for Schwabe- Don't know if UND recruited him at all. He's a small player who is a little "chippy" so to speak. I like who we have. Schwabe probably wouldn't have been able to crack above the fourth line anyway.

And Greyeagle: It's spelled like piglatin I think. Unklesbay

Isn't Draught a type or style of serving beer? :sad: If so, that can't all be bad!

And as for Schwabe- Don't know if UND recruited him at all. He's a small player who is a little "chippy" so to speak. I like who we have. Schwabe probably wouldn't have been able to crack above the fourth line anyway.

And Greyeagle: It's spelled like piglatin I think. Unklesbay

Yes it is, as in Guiness Draught.... :0

On Schwabe, I don't believe we did. But, I think Minnesota did and he said no thanks, I'll go to Duluth. Last year, I don't know if he'd have made the fourth line regularly...however, this year he'd play on our second line, sometimes first, as we all know how Blais likes to change things up.

DU*Pioneer...congrats on beating us and tUMD and making it as far as you have...finish the job and kick the Maine pansies a$$ ??? ...Welcome to the board.